WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 29): Split 40M | xXx 20.1M | Hidden Figures 15.7M | Sing 9M | La La Land 8.4M | The Founder 3.4M

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

There is a difference though between BATB doing well, which it may very well be, and unseating Episode VIII for yearly #1  

not the same ballpark :qotd:

Yup, those predicting BATB as the #1 film of the year are a bit crazy! 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well Deadpool is probably the most successful and popular hero with a mental illness.

Though the average person probably has no clue he's mentally ill.

What do you think of the upcoming show Legion?

I don't get cable so I'll never be able to watch that show, but there's also a fairly big difference between mental illness in movies and in tv shows (mostly because a show just has way more space to explore the nuance of characters).  It's just got the possibility to be a better medium for character development.  

I'm not against having mentally ill people in things or even portraying their negative traits (believe me, I know of plenty via personal exprience), but I'm annoyed that they're such easy fodder in horror films, especially, when in reality a lot of mental illnesses would kinda make you suck at being an effective villain.  I can just see it now: a scary crazed lunatic... who freaks out at raised voices and rocks in a corner while having an anxiety or depressive attack...

Or someone with OCD, who cannot focus on the hero because they're too obsessed with their daily routine not being interrupted.  Scary.

...also as a personal peeve from someone whose mother had schizophrenia... it's not the same as multiple personality disorder, even if most movies use them interchangeably.  I mean I'd think the least one could ask is enough research on mental illnesses to not get two of them confused.  A lot of use of mental illnesses in media tends to display lazy writing where they're taking shortcuts based on the fact that people can automatically assume mentally ill=dangerous.  I have good friends with BPD and I suffer from PTSD myself (thanks military!), and the assumptions people make about them are just gross and stupid.

Also to the other person, not gonna bother grabbing the post.  I've seen psycho.  The cinematography is great... but honestly the story is kind of boring.   Of course it suffers from a glut of content similar to it now, when at the time it didn't have anything else of that nature to be compared to.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Sal said:

I don't get cable so I'll never be able to watch that show, but there's also a fairly big difference between mental illness in movies and in tv shows (mostly because a show just has way more space to explore the nuance of characters).  It's just got the possibility to be a better medium for character development.  

I'm not against having mentally ill people in things or even portraying their negative traits (believe me, I know of plenty via personal exprience), but I'm annoyed that they're such easy fodder in horror films, especially, when in reality a lot of mental illnesses would kinda make you suck at being an effective villain.  I can just see it now: a scary crazed lunatic... who freaks out at raised voices and rocks in a corner while having an anxiety or depressive attack...

Or someone with OCD, who cannot focus on the hero because they're too obsessed with their daily routine not being interrupted.  Scary.

...also as a personal peeve from someone whose mother had schizophrenia... it's not the same as multiple personality disorder, even if most movies use them interchangeably.  I mean I'd think the least one could ask is enough research on mental illnesses to not get two of them confused.  A lot of use of mental illnesses in media tends to display lazy writing where they're taking shortcuts based on the fact that people can automatically assume mentally ill=dangerous.  I have good friends with BPD and I suffer from PTSD myself (thanks military!), and the assumptions people make about them are just gross and stupid.

Also to the other person, not gonna bother grabbing the post.  I've seen psycho.  The cinematography is great... but honestly the story is kind of boring.   Of course it suffers from a glut of content similar to it now, when at the time it didn't have anything else of that nature to be compared to.

Legion will probably hit Netflix after the first season ends, so you could watch then

• Like 1

Just now, robertman2 said:

Legion will probably hit Netflix after the first season ends, so you could watch then

I'll have to check it out then.  I'm so glad for the amount of shows hitting netflix lately.

• Like 2

Kudos to all the $30m+ predictions for Split, I honestly didn't see it coming. My Derby's screwed now, but it's nice to see Shyamalan making good movies again. Hopefully Split's success encourages more quality original filmmaking, both in the horror genre and outside of it. 

Hidden Figures and La La Land are both doing great. Can't wait to see both of them hopefully get some major Oscar love on Tuesday.

No comment on Triple X.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Gotta admit, this puts a bit of a damper on me wanting to start a BatB < 400 DOM club. :P

(Really thinking this board is overprediciting both this and GOTG2).

Maybe I'll make it BatB < 450 DOM for old times sake. :ph34r:

Yes, people have sky high predictions for Lego Batman, Logan, BatB, and GotG2 but I guarantee at least one is going to break out.

There's always at least one break out every few months.

13 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Kudos to all the $30m+ predictions for Split, I honestly didn't see it coming. My Derby's screwed now, but it's nice to see Shyamalan making good movies again. Hopefully Split's success encourages more quality original filmmaking, both in the horror genre and outside of it. 

Hidden Figures and La La Land are both doing great. Can't wait to see both of them hopefully get some major Oscar love on Tuesday.

No comment on Triple X.

Fortunately Horror is one of the genres where they do seem to put out a fair number of original films, it's just that most are low budget.  Horror and Animation seem to put out a lot of originals (though there's been a glut of sequels lately, it never seems to prevent original content from going forward either).

Now all we need is an animated horror film. :D

Just now, Sal said:

Fortunately Horror is one of the genres where they do seem to put out a fair number of original films, it's just that most are low budget.  Horror and Animation seem to put out a lot of originals (though there's been a glut of sequels lately, it never seems to prevent original content from going forward either).

Now all we need is an animated horror film. :D

Coraline, Paranorman,The Corpse Bride, Frankenweenie ...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Coraline, Paranorman,The Corpse Bride, Frankenweenie ...

Coraline probably qualifies.  That movie manages to be creepy as hell.  Both Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie are really more gothic fantasy in style rather than being horror.  Not sure about Paranorman.  I really need to watch that.

• Like 1