WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 29): Split 40M | xXx 20.1M | Hidden Figures 15.7M | Sing 9M | La La Land 8.4M | The Founder 3.4M

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the first XXX adjusts to $208,134,400. Funny how Vin Diesel seemed to be a bigger star before the recent Fast movies and his social media following

the first film had the end of August release date, add in a more action packed 007 like story and character(not seen the film but have it on DVD) that's what made the film a hit. State Of The Union had a not-so bankable star Ice Cube is successful at comedies and music not action movies. XxX 3 would have performed average if it had came out a decade ago. 

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the first XXX adjusts to $208,134,400. Funny how Vin Diesel seemed to be a bigger star before the recent Fast movies and his social media following

He always screamed "flash in the pan" to me, even though he gave some really good earlier performances in movies like Saving Private Ryan and as the voice of The Iron Giant.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It's gonna make less in total than the original made in its opening weekend. Why they thought anyone would care about Vin Diesel's return almost 15 years later, I have no idea.

I wonder if Paramount thought it could be like the Taken franchise, a modest domestic performer and a solid OS total. It'll likely won't lose money but a fourth film is unlikely. The budget was $85m which seems expensive but i guess Vin took $20m. 

M.Night is on a roll with Split, going back to lower budget films have rejuvenated him as a director. I wonder if he'll attempt to do bigger projects or if he'll stick with lower budget films for the time being

1 hour ago, DAR said:

It really wouldn't have any effect until Sunday anyway.   I never really understood that argument myself.  I mean the Super Bowl usually starts around 6:30 est on a Sunday.  That's more than enough time for people to go to movies if they want.

I agree though. But there's always debate on sports affecting the weekends. Super Bowl weekend is a dump weekend anyway, does a film like Rings(which looks like shit either way) do $25 million that weekend? Of course not it's a dump title.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

I just think the first XXX was released at the right time. Diesel is still a cool guy though. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Universal is going to make a nice profit from Split as the budget is only $10m, I assume M.Night and McAvoy have backend deal which will pay off handsomely 

Oh wow that budget is tiny. It'll profit during OW, and make back it's budget on OD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

He always screamed "flash in the pan" to me, even though he gave some really good earlier performances in movies like Saving Private Ryan and as the voice of The Iron Giant.

This is right. he's talented but tried to chase commercial cinema too much after his break and he wasn't as good at picking the roles as Dwayne, arguably much bigger star out of 2 of them who were once touted "the Next Arnie". 

6 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

This is going to be an exciting weekend! I'm curious about next weekend's turnouts considering A Dog's Purpose could do decent numbers, or Resident Evil 6 debuts decently who knows.

A Dog's Purpose is DOA. They canceled the premiere and the negative response to the leaked video has been overwhelming. 

• Like 2