WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 29): Split 40M | xXx 20.1M | Hidden Figures 15.7M | Sing 9M | La La Land 8.4M | The Founder 3.4M

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

What I also just realized is that if the highest craziest thoughts come True - La La Land could conceivably become the top Musical of All time in unadjusted dollars (needs 188.8m) only be beaten a few weeks later by BATB....

*live action

• Like 1

Just now, elcaballero said:

$300m is a cinch...

I don't really doubt the film is passing 300m - but its the blatant expectation that it will without seeing the OW before hand or even using great judgment. If it doesn't reach the heights that some think it can the disappointment is solely because everyone let the Jungle Book's run warp their view on whats good.

Looking at Ontario at the moment (who's 7PM show set is getting started). Split is sold out in a few theatres I can see, and many of the 8/9/10 PM showings are between 20-50% full.

Will check some theatres closer to me later tonight.

Meanwhile, I can't find a theatre for The Founder which is more than 40-50% full.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I don't really doubt the film is passing 300m - but its the blatant expectation that it will without seeing the OW before hand or even using great judgment. If it doesn't reach the heights that some think it can the disappointment is solely because everyone let the Jungle Book's run warp their view on whats good.

We saw what happened with the "Moana will make 300M+" bandwagon before release as well. Even BO.Com had it at 320+ IIRC.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

If the Jungle Book could make $364m, this movie will for sure. The nostalgia is off the rails

• Like 1

1 minute ago, franfar said:

Using that logic, 1 billion DOM for BatB is on the table

/s

BatB somehow beating SWEPVIII for #1 would be an upset for the ages. If it went totally Titanic at the boxoffice (multiple viewings, draws audience that rarely or never goes to the cinema). 

I might be a bit late in commenting on this but M Night Shyamalan can direct big Blockbusters or small films. It has nothing to do with the size of the budget that he has it's the creative control that he had back in the day. In my opinion everything after Signs was just a vanity project where he had ridiculous ideas and because he has so much creative control nobody could stop him. Now I think perhaps his ego is in check and he is gone back to writing smarter films. Signs was a massive Blockbuster with a big budget and a big star and it turned out very well. So I don't think it has anything to do with him making big or small films it has more to do with him writing better material. If his movies keep making profits eventually he's going to get a big budget again and as long as he keeps writing the way that he is I don't see that being a problem.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

BatB somehow beating SWEPVIII for #1 would be an upset for the ages. If it went totally Titanic at the boxoffice (multiple viewings, draws audience that rarely or never goes to the cinema). 

Lets not get stupid. BATB has a negative percent chance of beating Star Wars episode 8.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, franfar said:

If the Jungle Book could make $364m, this movie will for sure. The nostalgia is off the rails

the same argument was used for Moana since Zootopia broke out so big....

I'm just saying that we get caught up in the hype (and BO.COM is not immune) and we lose our judgment on what is best in wanting what our heart says. I am not going to complain a bit if BATB tops 400m but its an extremely tall order to just assume a film will do.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We saw what happened with the "Moana will make 300M+" bandwagon before release as well. Even BO.Com had it at 320+ IIRC.

Come on grim, BATB is beating The Jungle Book and stands a very good shot at 400M.

Just now, narniadis said:

I'm just saying that we get caught up in the hype (and BO.COM is not immune) and we lose our judgment on what is best in wanting what our heart says. I am not going to complain a bit if BATB tops 400m but its an extremely tall order to just assume a film will do.

The difference is that Beauty and the Beast is an established brand.

And those trailer view, though.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Come on grim, BATB is beating The Jungle Book and stands a very good shot at 400M.

I've been hearing this and reading this on our site so much now. And you really have nothing to base this on. You're simply basing it on the fact that the Jungle Book did large numbers. This could easily do Maleficent kind of run.

• Like 3

Just now, baumer said:

I've been hearing this and reading this on our site so much now. And you really have nothing to base this on. You're simply basing it on the fact that the Jungle Book did large numbers. This could easily do Maleficent kind of run.

Thank you :) The voice of reason....

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Moana is an original property with a boring plot, BatB is a whole 'nother animal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

How about trailer views? Or 90s nostalgia?

• Like 2