WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 29): Split 40M | xXx 20.1M | Hidden Figures 15.7M | Sing 9M | La La Land 8.4M | The Founder 3.4M

Despite the collapse of Fences, almost 48.75M before nomination etc.  is impressive...  August: Osage County closed with 37.74

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Director&id=denzelwashington.htm

Denzel Washington

Date Title (click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Rank
12/16/16 Fences Par. $48,750,000 2,368 $129,462 4 1
12/25/07 The Great Debaters MGM/W $30,236,407 1,290 $6,005,180 1,171 2
12/19/02 Antwone Fisher FoxS $21,078,145 1,021 $210,013 15 3

Note: Titles in grey are cameo or bit parts and not counted in totals and averages.

Lifetime Gross Total (3): $100,064,552
Average: $33,354,851

Dazed and Confused IS way better than Everybody Wants Some!!, but that's only because D&C is one of like five or six best movies ever made and EWS is merely excellent. 

Also Paramount did the absolute worst possible job handling it. It was impressively bad even by their standards. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Dazed and Confused IS way better than Everybody Wants Some!!, but that's only because D&C is one of like five or six best movies ever made and EWS is merely excellent. 

Also Paramount did the absolute worst possible job handling it. It was impressively bad even by their standards. 

Glen Powell coming for that stealth supporting actor nod at the Botties?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

1 Billion, 500+ Domestic for the first Star Wars Spin Off.   What's the floor for "Han Solo"?

If it's total garbage and the trailers are lame:

85 m OW 

170 m DOM

If it's average:

110 m OW

240 m DOM

If it's good:

130 m OW

300 m DOM

If it's great:

150 m OW

350 m DOM

Top 3 SW movie:

180 m OW

450 m DOM

1 hour ago, Frozen said:

What happened with Patriots Day? 

I guess it was a combination of the overwhelming feeling that it was too soon for a movie about this particular tragedy, which was really well-documented when it happened less than 4 years ago (and made a movie version of it seem redundant) and no awards buzz that made it a must-see. There's probably not much of an audience for anything resembling a "fuck yeah America!" movie right now given what's been happening in politics either.

• Like 1

Don't have the time to read through the thread, sure this has been noted perhaps: XXX's clean $20m estimate is sure to fall with actuals.

That said, I saw it and I really enjoyed it. 

Cheesy, Over the Top, Solid Action(Donnie is amazing!) and great surprises. Yep, this movie has a surprise. 

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I guess it was a combination of the overwhelming feeling that it was too soon for a movie about this particular tragedy, which was really well-documented when it happened less than 4 years ago (and made a movie version of it seem redundant) and no awards buzz that made it a must-see. There's probably not much of an audience for anything resembling a "fuck yeah America!" movie right now given what's been happening in politics either.

I agree with this...That is why something like 13 Hours which about Benghazi did not do so well  as its been talked to the ends of the earth in the media...

but somewhat like American Sniper about the Iraq War did well as it was about the Iraq War, and talked about a rather well known solider and story.

American Sniper also was a novelty compared to modern war films for it pretty much told the story of duty and sacrifice whether you agreed with the man behind the film or not...I found the film a solid B at most but deeply cherished the fact it told a tale of a person who went to fight and came home and did not have 'hollywood like' ephimpany in the midst of battle. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 hours ago, franfar said:

40.2m for Split. That's impressive, and if the movie stopped playing on Monday, it would already have profit.

M. Night is back

People keep forgeting the cost of the big thing which help a movie opening that high, 

Dr.-Who.gif 

P&A. Is not easy and not cheap to have a huge success like this, so take every money you can, M. Night.

3 hours ago, filmscholar said:

1 Billion, 500+ Domestic for the first Star Wars Spin Off.   What's the floor for "Han Solo"?

Well Rogue One was not a spin off. Not even close. It was the direct prequel to New Hope, had a number of classic characters, and was part of the canon story. It did fine but it was not the adventures of Gary the Stormtrooper. I'd say similar numbers if the film is well received.  

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean, I think his point was that most of those movies are Oscar bait and they didn't turn out well.......

A Monster Calls doesn't really strike me as Oscar bait, though. I just think the studio tried to push it for some reason. 20th Century Woman was also not likely originally convinced with Oscars in mind. At this point, it's largely being pushed for some acting nominations, particularly Bening's performance. 

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

I want his character(s) from Split, his Professor X, the guy from Wanted ("What the fuck have you done lately?"), and the faun from The Chronicles of Narnia to all interact with each other. Make it happen, movie gods.

Throw in Victor Frankenstein and we're set for the batshit McAvoy performance cinematic universe.