baumer

Split (2017)

Grade it  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Okay... what??? Does this mean it links to Unbreakable? Are we getting a MNS cinematic universe now?

movie was okay, I'd give it a solid C+... or a 6/10

performance was fantastic, the movie just lacked something and got almost boring at times.

• Like 1

I mainly agree with the above, I enjoyed it but it did have stretches where I was starting to get a bit bored. The scenes in the doctors office went on for too long and the flashbacks to the girls camping trip kept taking you out of the story and could have been put together to form one scene.

As for the ending, as someone who likes and remembers Unbreakable, I thought it was a great little nod that wrapped up the film nicely and gave some basis to Kevins transformation. However, 95% of the audience did not understand the ending at all. Unbreakable is over fifteen years old and wasn't a huge box office hit back in the day so the reference is going to throw a lot of people off.

overall I'd give it a high 6/low 7, for now I'd say I prefer The Visit. I've ranked the Shyamalan films that I've seen below.

The Sixth Sense

Unbreakable

Signs

The Visit

Split

The Lady in The Water

The Village

The Happening

The Last Airbender

I love James Newton Howard and the work he did on MNS early work, as soon as that beat hit at the end I was like whaaaaaaaaat?

I was joking before I saw it that his next movie has to have 4 syllable title beginning with the letter "U" since his last two movies are The Visit and Split, which coincide perfectly with The Village and Signs.

• Like 2

A ferociously committed performance from James McAvoy is the main (if not the only) reason to see Split, a silly but certainly atmospheric thriller that is easily the best movie M. Night Shyamalan has made in the last 12 years (not a difficult task, given how godawful most of the turkeys he's given us since then have been, but still). The screenplay is a mixed bag that doesn't have nearly as much depth as the filmmaker is striving for, there are definitely moments of palpable tension and along with a couple of moments of gallows humor. McAvoy is absolutely tremendous in a very challenging role that requires him to display an endless array of emotions that might have nabbed him awards buzz had the movie opened at a much later time of year. While this is very much his movie, there's also an effective performance from Anya Taylor-Joy as a girl who has was clearly leading a rough life long before she was abducted. And that big reveal right before the credits...well, Shyamalan got me by surprise. Overall, an enjoyably tense diversion that will hopefully mark the comeback of a talented filmmaker who had seemed to squander all of his early potential. B

I was talking with one of my coworkers about the fact that I already knew the twist, and just barely held back from saying: 

Spoiler

"Remember Unbreakable?"

I don't know what's weirder: that Donald Trump is president, or that M. Knight Shyamalan has apparently finally made another good movie.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

I thought it was good. I'm not sure I get the final scene but whatever, I enjoyed myself and thought it was expertly made. I felt that two of the female characters could have used a bit more work though. I didn't really care that much when the two "friends" died, which is a shame.

B+

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I thought it was good. I'm not sure I get the final scene but whatever, I enjoyed myself and thought it was expertly made. I felt that two of the female characters could have used a bit more work though. I didn't really care that much when the two "friends" died, which is a shame.

B+

The one with...

Spoiler

...the Bruce Willis character from Unbreakable

?

I thought that McAvoy was great. Funnier than I expected, and M. Night does some fun Hitchcock stuff. I guess I was just disappointed that people said this had a HUGE TWIST, and then it turns out it....takes place in the same universe as another movie barely anyone saw from 16 years ago? Who cares? I would have assumed they all took place in the same universe anyway. That was lame as shit. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

B+

The twist at the end propelled this film from a B- to B+. I loved Unbreakable and I listen to James Newton Howard's fantastic score almost daily while working. I knew composers sometimes borrow from earlier works but thought it strange that JNH would do so so blatantly. When Kevin's alter egos started talking about how the bullet wounds didn't penetrate the skin, my jaw dropped. Was this somehow a prequel to Unbreakable? Then the score gets louder and more pronounced. I'm probably the only one in the theater who sees the connection but it hasn't quite germinated in my brain yet. The diner scene. Someone mentions the incident 16 years ago. Yes! So this IS a direct tie in to Unbreakable. Bruce Willis! Mr. Glass reference! Yes! Yes! Yes! Big smile on my face. I don't care if I was the only one in my subdued theater who understood what was happening and was exciting about it. This is the closest Unbreakable diehards have gotten to a true sequel. I'm hoping that wasn't a throwaway scene. Bruce Willis and M. Night - PLEASE MAKE UNBREAKABLE 2 YOUR NEXT PROJECT. 

Pros

• McAvoy nailed a very difficult role. Good on him.
  • Da Twist! 
  • Scenes with the psychiatrist were the best part of the movie. I like how she was used to explain the disorder. She grounded the story a bit. 
  • The concept of DID. Shows M.Night remains a talented storyteller

Cons

• M. Night has a tendency to telegraph his scenes, making it a big too predictable for my tastes (hunting lessons, shotgun training, early allusions to a beast who can climb walls)
  • The acting was a big shaky among the girls. Nevertheless, I think the 3 actresses have a bright future ahead of them.
  • There were quite a few plot holes (the psychiatrist couldn't say Kevin's real name as soon as she was in danger?, the girls belatedly looking for ways to escape, etc, etc)
  • The writing could have been a bit stronger, particularly with the 3 girls, but that's not M. Night's strong point. He's better at crafting an overall story than the story beats.

•  
Edited by lilmac

I didn't catch the Unbreakable reference right then and there, but once I did....horry sheettttttt. The movie itself was alright, I wasn't blown away. It surely wasn't bad, but I've seen better. I cant wait to see how they handle this M Night Cinematic Universe though. I was waiting for a twist the wholeee time. Thought we didn't get one, until I finally got the reference.

Also who was waiting for M Night to reveal that Kevin and Casey were related? I was waiting on that so hard. 

Fine movie.

• Like 2

I thought the movie was really well done. I think James McAvoy gives one of the best performances I've ever seen. This is definitely a slow-build kind of movie and it's not a straight-up horror film at all. But there's an ominous sense of dread that is very hitchcockian. You know something is about to happen and it takes his time getting there. But when the Beast finally does come he's pretty terrifying.

I think James McAvoy committed to this not only it is acting performance but in his physical appearance which just makes the film that much better. As for this belong in the same Cinematic Universe as Unbreakable, I thought it was awesome. I knew right away as soon as they were in the diner and you heard the girl mention something about Elijah, the guy in the wheelchair, I knew Bruce Willis was going to show up and say mister glass....I just felt it, like intuition. I sincerely hope we get a sequel to Unbreakable.....so many of us have wanted one.

The only complaint I have is that I really wish they would have done something more with the sodomizing and Uncle pedophile dude. That guy just needed to die and they just left it hanging. Hopefully that is Revisited in the sequel and that mother fucker is blown away or something.

9/10

• Like 6