baumer

Split (2017)

Grade it  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This was pretty good. Once that music started playing at the end though; damn. I got that twist spoiled for me before going in but even then the music still got to me. Some of the movie left a bit to be desired but overall it's a great return to form for MNS.

b+

Edited by AABATTERY

I feel cheated and betrayed. Frustration was dominant while I sat in the theater. I walked into Split expecting a thinking man's thriller and came out having seen just a dumb "person can change his brain chemistry" silliness. What was the point?

McAvoy wanted teens to suffer cuz he believed that made them better, ok so what?  Was each personality just a way for McAvoy to show off his abilities as an actor? Every time the lady doctor tried to explain McAvoy's condition, it sank more and more.

Don't even get me started on that cheap twist with Bruce Willis, like if the beast taking literal form wasn't enough of an eye-roll, they had to link it to Unbreakable in the most shallow, empty way possible.

Shyamalan can shoot his movies like a motherfucker, I have always admired that about him, and that's what kept it somewhat entertaining for me.

• Like 1

This just opened over here and it was great. Solid 9/10.

I loved the ending, I knew right away what it was about, I literally said "Unbreakable" aloud during it which is weird cause that's not the name of the movie in Portuguese. I'm so glad I managed to avoid spoilers for it until now.

Damn, what a performance by James McAvoy. I can't believe no one spoiled the ending for me because I didn't see that coming. I didn't like where the last act was headed but was constantly engaged because of how interesting D.I.D is and was just hoping they'd find a way to tie the whole Beast thing into the plot without going over the top...and they pulled it off.

Expected some sort of reveal but nothing like that and it all clicked in that moment. Amazing cinematography (expected no less with the same guy behind It Follows at the helm) and another strong performance from Anna Sophie Robb.

Can't wait to rewatch Unbreakable (it's been a long time since I've seen it) and then this again. 

B+

• Like 2

Split works well enough as a film. Shyamalan clearly feels more comfortable directing than he has in years, giving scenes the appropriate amount of tension and knowing when to let the atmosphere grow. Taylor-Joy is a pretty good lead, being vulnerable enough to sympathize and with a decent character arc too. McAvoy is excellent as expected, although at points it feels more like a demo reel of his acting rather than full performances as the multiple personalities.

However, it's really hard to outright really appreciate Split thanks to its exploitative elements. This is not to say exploitation is inherently bad, but this film plays around with abuse cycles, mental disorders, and overt sexualization in a way that just feels dirty for a lot of the movie. One might argue the twist of the film re-contextualizes the problematic elements, but I find that hard to see. The fact is that this film demonizes those with mental disorders, frequently feels the need to make its minor (in both age and story function) female characters come off as "sexy" plot devices, and although its hero comes from a cycle of abuse, so does its villain. The last of these three elements could be explored well in a film, but Shyamalan does not have interest in that; he merely wants to make a horror film that ends up a much more particular genre film than one might expect.

It's hard to imagine someone seeing Split and not getting enjoyment out of it. It's a very entertaining watch thanks to tense sequences anchored by strong performances (also worth mentioning: the downright righteous opening credits). However, I personally cannot watch it without being bothered by all the subtle messages Shyamalan accidentally pushes forward. Judging off my knowledge of him and also the film's ending, I cannot believe these were all entirely intentional, but that does not change the fact that they are there. Split is a mixed bag that's still worth seeing, but Shyamalan still has quite a way to go to become the director he once was. Hopefully, he makes it there. C+

Watched this on a plane and liked it enough. McAvoy continues to be one of the most underrated leading performers out there. The movie's at least 15 minutes too long though: why can't Shyamalan just admit he's making B-movie fodder and not let scenes drag on to twice their necessary length?