Porthos

1/24 Tue Numbers: Split 3.76 HF: 1.96 XXX: 1.82 LA: 1.45 R1: .76 PD: .72 Sing: .63 MT: .48 TF: .46 Sleep: .36

37 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think Thursday and Fridays have been weaker due to better marketed openings and many more options than last year. But still, I think it continues to track like TFA. Only thing that looks different this year is the Lego Batman threat. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SWXII said:

I think Thursday and Fridays have been weaker due to better marketed openings and many more options than last year. But still, I think it continues to track like TFA. Only thing that looks different this year is the Lego Batman threat. 

Keep in mind TFA was in second place on its sixth weekend; Rogue One was sixth this past weekend. It's starting to lose theaters more rapidly because of new releases and expanding contenders, and there aren't any major weather threats coming up (right now).

• Like 2

What do you guys think are the odds that Rogue One hits $534.9M or better and clears The Dark Knight? 

I thought the odds were about 90% frankly a few weeks ago, if not better. Now, I feel like the odds are more like 50%. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I couldn't really imagine it missing $540M in the past and now I'm thinking, eh, not sure. Like you're saying WrathOfHan, it will lose theaters if it's not performing well enough to keep them. My local theater has 18 screens, it's the biggest in the city, and it ditched TFA after March 24. Around that time, the weekend before, TFA just had its first sub-$1 million weekend. Rogue One should have its first sub-$1M weekend perhaps in 5 weeks, which is more towards the end of February than any time in March. It could be sooner, like 4 weeks. 

The worst part is even if Rogue One beats TDK, it will do so while making so little money that there will be a lot of doubt basically until the day it happens ha ha. It could be $2 million away, which looks like absolutely nothing, but then each day it's making $110,000 and it's like... will this happen?!

• Like 1

FWIW my 12 screen theater is putting RO in their smallest auditorium down to two showings a day with the return of Moana this weekend. I wouldn't be totally surprised if it stays next week because only Rings, Space Between, and Lion are opening and there's still other stuff like Sleepless and Monster Trucks to get rid of, but it's definitely gone once Batman/Fifty Shades/Wick open.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Wow, weird. I can't imagine any theater around here doing that yet, I don't see Rogue One in the smaller auditoriums so far. It seems to be stuff like Underworld is there. Heck, the huge theater near me still has one showing per day of Fantastic Beasts! I find that so crazy, the movie came out at Thanksgiving, but look at it go, still plugging along. I hope Rogue One can at least have a single showing per day somewhere near me for the next 6 weeks, that would be great.