• Loving Vincent
  • Coco
  • The Thousand Miles
  • The Breadwinner
  • The Girl Without Hands
Edited by cannastop
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

seems like a year the academy can finally go with something indie for the win in this category. all the major studio pictures sound so basic.

If by "basic" you mean "trash", then yeah.

Lego Batman is catnip, though, and it's going to be hard to get them to reject Pixar. If only Laika was releasing something this year.

Edited by cannastop

41 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Mune: Guardian of the Moon

This is the same Mune that was submitted to the Academy for consideration in 2016, although I can't confirm that they did in fact have a Los Angeles theatrical release before December 31.

It will be pretty amazing if any of the major studio films besides Coco snag an award. No, LEGO Batman isn't doing it. Neither is Ferdinand. Blue Sky hasn't snagged a nom since, um, the first Ice Age?

It'll be like 2015, pretty much, where we've got four really small releases (probably at least one we haven't even heard about yet) and one big one that's the de facto frontrunner.

Of course, if Coco turns out to be a bit of a dog, like TGD, maybe we'll get a year with no major films. That could lead to something like The Breadwinner getting a win, which would be nice, because Cartoon Saloon is fantastic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

It will be pretty amazing if any of the major studio films besides Coco snag an award. No, LEGO Batman isn't doing it. Neither is Ferdinand. Blue Sky hasn't snagged a nom since, um, the first Ice Age?

It'll be like 2015, pretty much, where we've got four really small releases (probably at least one we haven't even heard about yet) and one big one that's the de facto frontrunner.

Of course, if Coco turns out to be a bit of a dog, like TGD, maybe we'll get a year with no major films. That could lead to something like The Breadwinner getting a win, which would be nice, because Cartoon Saloon is fantastic.

Hey, there are really only 3 GKIDS movies to choose from at the moment. That leaves at least two major studio movies. Probably not just going to be Coco.

36 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Hey, there are really only 3 GKIDS movies to choose from at the moment. That leaves at least two major studio movies. Probably not just going to be Coco.

Other distributors can have lower scale releases. Sony Classics, Focus, and so forth. Not to mention the chance that the likes of a major distributor releasing something smaller, even if they aren't the primary producer. There are plenty of potential releases that could get nominations, and many, again, that we haven't heard about, yet.

Loving Vincent is a possibility. Some thought it would get released last year, but that didn't happen.

The Thousand Miles, Sylvian Chomet's latest, is also due out this year.

Mary and the Witch's Flower is Hiromasa Yonebayashi's latest, could get a qualifying release this year. It'll be as close to Ghibli as you can get.

Just now, DamienRoc said:

Other distributors can have lower scale releases. Sony Classics, Focus, and so forth. Not to mention the chance that the likes of a major distributor releasing something smaller, even if they aren't the primary producer. There are plenty of potential releases that could get nominations, and many, again, that we haven't heard about, yet.

Loving Vincent is a possibility. Some thought it would get released last year, but that didn't happen.

The Thousand Miles, Sylvian Chomet's latest, is also due out this year.

Mary and the Witch's Flower is Hiromasa Yonebayashi's latest, could get a qualifying release this year. It'll be as close to Ghibli as you can get.

Hmm, well when you add all of that up together, maybe it actually will be all indie this year.

Coco

Lego Batman

Mary and the Witch's Flower

Ninjago

The Star

These probably won't be it but they're the five right now I can think of with the best combination of pedigree, premise and mainstream appeal.

I think there's another mainstream movie that can be a dark horse but it shall remain nameless for now since I know I'll get laughed at for saying it here.

Edited by tribefan695

Cars 3 - I really think it's going to be extremely good, good enough to deserve the nomination.

Coco - Original Pixar, enough said.

Loving Vincent - It is the world's first feature film entirely painted, that alone is a feat in its own right.

The Story of Ferdinand - I'm thinking it surprises. The source material provides good opportunity.

The Thousand Miles - The Illusionist released seven years after The Triplets of Belleville, so I think this one will release seven years after The Illusionist. This guy has yet to fail, so I'm thinking he'll get a nomination.

I have this pressing feeling that Mary and the Witch's Flower is either a ways off or not good enough. Either would be a shame though.

Edited by slambros

Just now, cannastop said:

You're killing me with those two predicts.

Way I see it, Lego Batman's considered a contender so may as well throw in the other one. The Star has my curiosity despite being SPA because it sounds like they're going for something a little more earnest.

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Feel like if Wes Anderson's dogs movie got released this year instead of 2018 it could have stood a healthy chance to win. For now Coco is an obvious choice, but I'm hoping for surprises.

If Coco doesn't move the needle, I think this is Sylvain Chomet's year. Just like Lilo & Stitch didn't upstage Miyazaki.