cannastop

Best Animated Feature - 2017

56 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

There's many different ways you could spin this. I think we just have to wait and see how the ballot turns out for next year (a relatively weak slate for mainstream animation) before making a judgment on if this just about being more inclusive voter-wise or trying to snuff out indie films.

Edited by tribefan695

4 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Holy smurf. I actually had to check the date on that one to make sure it wasn't April 1.

The ridiculous thing is that the nomination process for Best Animated Feature has easily been one of the Academy's most well-thought out. The combination of viewing requirements and a voting process that relies on average rating rather than greatest number of ballots (preferential or not) has allowed for films that for whatever reason aren't well known but are generally acknowledged to be of very high quality by those who have seen them to be nominated, rather than slip through the cracks.

There's also a surprisingly strong degree of agreement between the nominees for Best Animated Feature and those most highly rated by critics. Unlike Best Picture where an average rating in the low 7s is good enough for some films but others miss with ratings approaching 9.

• Like 6

if you read up it's actually kinda like how they do the foreign film nominees. in that it's gonna be decided by a committee, that anyone in the membership can join, but they have to watch all the films on the shortlist. i'm not convinced it'll shut out the smaller films like you guys are. they're actually doing it (or at least this is the official reason) to stop block voting because like, i'm sure a lot of people in that branch work for disney and they all stamp the disney project on their ballots when that roles around. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

if you read up it's actually kinda like how they do the foreign film nominees. in that it's gonna be decided by a committee, that anyone in the membership can join, but they have to watch all the films on the shortlist. i'm not convinced it'll shut out the smaller films like you guys are. they're actually doing it (or at least this is the official reason) to stop block voting because like, i'm sure a lot of people in that branch work for disney and they all stamp the disney project on their ballots when that roles around. 

I actually did read up on it.

Without seeing the actual ballots (which to my understanding the Academy does not see either), there's no evidence of studio bias in the nominees, relative to the choices favoured by critics. In fact, if any such bias exists at all, there's actually a slight bias against Disney films, in that they need to have a slightly higher average rating from critics relative to the other submissions to be assured of a nomination.

Voting in the nominations round will now be preferential instead of based on a numerical scoring system.  Members participating on the nominating committee may view films in their theatrical runs or at other screenings, through the Academy’s streaming site or on DVDs/screeners to qualify to vote.

The major problem is the change to a preferential vote. Numerical scoring is far superior to preferential voting as a gauge of average perceived quality, rather than popularity. The other problem is the relaxation of the viewing requirements. The previous requirement was that anyone on the committee had to actually to attend two-thirds of the screenings. With the increase in the number of animated submissions, I can understand this rule change in isolation, but combined with the change to a preferential vote, I am quite sure it will have the effect of making the Animated Feature nominees less about quality and more about popularity.

I don't think this will hurt Disney films, or the films of any of the studios with a large number of Animation Branch members. I don't think it will completely shut out the smaller films, but I expect it to have the overall effect of reducing their chance of nomination compared to what we've seen in the past, and to what we would expect based off of average rating from critics.

• Like 3

• Like 3

I was coming on to say that Your Name would have had a better chance campaigning this year than last year just to find out that it apparently wouldn't have made a difference either. This is a mediocre year for animation, meaning that the category would have needed an indie film or two to make the nominee selection more professional.

:sadben:

Pixar's Coco is the only major film that seems like it has a shot but considering Lee Unkrich's last film has an 8.9 rating on RT, won Best Animated and was nominated for Best Picture I'd say it's a pretty good shot.

Edited by tribefan695

On 6/29/2017 at 10:41 PM, CoolEric258 said:

Starting this year, the majority of people selecting nominees for the Feature Animation Oscar no longer have to be from the animation branch

Considering most people outside the animation branch don't even bother watching the movies that get nominated, I wonder how big the change is going to be besides "less chance of the one, but no more than two, small, non american pictures getting in"

I'm not pleased with the message this is apparently sending though Cartoon Brew is kind of an outrage-driven publication and I still say wait and see how it actually plays out before deciding if it's for worse. I've definitely had my issues with the nominations before.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Mary and the Witch's Flower has a decent chance if it gets a US release.

In This Corner of the World and Silent Voice (2016 Japan) getting small releases in US. Though they probably go the same way as Your Name with not enough exposure.

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

I wonder if we'll have some years without a big Disney win. Coco is their only real contender this year, and that might disappoint. Maybe a smaller indie movie can win this year.

Maybe even in 2018 as well. The Incedibles 2 isn't a guarantee, and neither is the second Wreck-It Ralph.

Not to mention 2019 with Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2.

I could stand for some variety in the winners' category. :ph34r:

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I could see In This Corner of the World getting a nomination, it's very academy friendly, and I think it has a better distributor than Your Name did if I remember correctly ?

Funimation's still involved:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/japan-animated-in-this-corner-of-the-world-1202431532/

If it has one thing going for it, it doesn't look exactly like some other anime.