cannastop

Best Animated Feature - 2017

I think we might be underestimating The Star. The director does have experience working in quality animated films and they apparently somehow got Mark Mancina and Thomas Newman to do the film score so maybe Sony really is aiming for greatness there.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2017 at 6:33 PM, tribefan695 said:

I think we might be underestimating The Star. The director does have experience working in quality animated films and they apparently somehow got Mark Mancina and Thomas Newman to do the film score so maybe Sony really is aiming for greatness there.

Plus, It's based on one of the most important stories in our history.

I can't say anything about the actual quality of the animated movies that have came out so far this year (I've only seen one: Lego Batman) but it seems this has been such a mediocre year for animated films. Especially compared to the awesome slate of films we got last year. 

On 7/16/2017 at 2:17 AM, Rorschach said:

I can't say anything about the actual quality of the animated movies that have came out so far this year (I've only seen one: Lego Batman) but it seems this has been such a mediocre year for animated films. Especially compared to the awesome slate of films we got last year. 

Agreed.

On the bright side, we'll be able to see first hand how the new voting system will affect the category. You'd think that an indie would have an easier time getting in with this kind of year, so hopefully the voting system doesn't ignorantly throw in something like The Emoji Movie.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2017 at 11:54 AM, Jake Gittes said:

The Breadwinner

Coco

Lego Batman

Loving Vincent

and some other movie

Man oh man was it dumb for Your Name to try and get a nom last year. 

If they're going Anime, they'll probably look at In This Corner of the World, though my pick would have been A Silent Voice. 

• Like 1

Not a movie, per se, but this short IN A HEARTBEAT has really blown up on social media. In a perfect storm it could potentially get nominated for best animated short.

Also, I could see Ninjago getting in over Batman if it turns out to be really good.

21 hours ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Not a movie, per se, but this short IN A HEARTBEAT has really blown up on social media. In a perfect storm it could potentially get nominated for best animated short.

Also, I could see Ninjago getting in over Batman if it turns out to be really good.

i think that heartbeat thing is a student film and those are ineligible.

also i think maybe both legos could get in if it's good honestly. with widening the category beyond the animation branch and the lack of worthwhile mainstream titles i could see it.

New predicts:

Coco

In this Corner of the World

Lego Batman

Loving Vincent

My Little Pony

Honestly, I don't care if everyone laughs at this notion anymore; My Little Pony is the only remaining North American production this year besides Coco that looks like it could be anywhere close to nom-worthy imo; and campaigners can use the traditional animation and distaff representation angles to promote it to the Academy. It's pretty much between that and Captain Underpants to fill out the final slot the way it's looking right now.

Though I wonder if Life as a Zucchini might still be eligible this year since it didn't actually premiere in the US until Sundance.

Edited by tribefan695

9 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

New predicts:

Coco

In this Corner of the World

Lego Batman

Loving Vincent

My Little Pony

Honestly, I don't care if everyone laughs at this notion anymore; My Little Pony is the only remaining North American production this year besides Coco that looks like it could be anywhere close to nom-worthy; and campaigners can use the traditional animation and distaff representation angles to promote it to the Academy. It's pretty much between that and Captain Underpants to fill out the final slot the way it's looking right now.

Though I wonder if Life as a Zucchini might still eligible this year since it didn't actually premiere in the US until Sundance.

Zero chance for My Little Pony.

You realize that My Life as a Zucchini was nominated for an Oscar already, right?