AndyLL

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017)

Grade it  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The best Resident Evil sequel. Its pure stupid B movie fun. Its the most cuttty cutty movie ever and the side characters are of course beyond non existent and under developed. They legit might have like 2 sentences each and its classic RE bad straight to the point dialogue hahaha but damn Anderson stepped up his game for this, 4 and 5 the camera movement was lacking and it seemed to lean toward all cheesy and the tone was off. but this one has proper scares, non stop action set pieces, loved the creature designs, the effects were easily the best of the series.

Most of all to my surprise it actaully properly wraps up all 6 films, not a fake out with a lead in for a sequel thank god. It was the best story/plot since the first too.  I was impressed and had a really good time. 

B- (81)

• Like 2

Yeah, this is surprisingly decent. Anderson does his usual thing -- rip off and borrow from other, better movies -- but at least this time the story is satisfying and even a touch moving at the end. Iain Glen is always fun to watch and while character development is minimal at best, do you really expect anything else in a B-grade zombie movie? The screenwriters do what's needed and give Alice what little development there is. 

On the downside, this movie was blitz-edited by a group of monkeys amped up on meth. Anderson only has one mode for action scenes -- 110% aggro craziness -- and while I get that he's masking problems either with the actors fighting or trying to make things more kinetic, a little of that goes a long, long way. The movie's exhausting to watch, and it really shouldn't be. Honestly, if he had a sense of style and pacing and a more delicate approach to cutting scenes, my score would probably be a grade higher. 

Still, it's fun. 

C+

• Like 3

This movie has worse editing then Taken 3 and I seriously didn't think that was possible for a big distributed action movie. If you enjoy that quick pace frenetic editing from the trailer then prepare for 90 minutes of it here. I've seen the entire series and this one might have been the worse.

The sad thing is I could see a good movie in here, if someone else chose to take this premise and expand on it. The return to the hive from the original should have been exciting but the execution is just awful. I couldn't tell what was going on half the time during a lot of the big action scenes (and they are non stop) because it's just Bam! Bam! Bam! the whole freaking movie. 

Alice is on the ground...now she's on top of a skyscraper....now she's swinging down a zip line through fire...now she's kicking a bunch of zombies....now she's on a tank...now she's underground...now she's above ground again talking to Claire.....god it gave me whiplash.

I didn't like the movie as much as Tele but definitely agree with his assessment of the editing. It does feel like someone on a meth binge cut it. 

Due to it, the major villains from the previous films all die but there's no impact. Alice dies and is brought back to life...but again with no impact. The movie is so busy with jumping ahead to the next thing that it spends no time building up to the big moments.

The only good thing here was the score and the effects. I thought this would be a lot better due to the opening scene but it just went downhill from there and really fast.

The plot: Alice gets to DC and finds out from the red queen that she must get to the hive to obtain the antivirus to save humanity. Along the way she must fight the Dr. and Wesker who are trying to stop her from their orchestrated extinction event. During the end she finds out what she really is and more about the red queen and the Umbrella corporation.

Sounds simple enough right? - Yeah buckle up. This movie is a great example of the ADD generation at it's worst.

The original remains the best. Time to hang it up Alice. 

D-

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

I think this film massively benefits from being the one sequel with the task to develop an actual plot. If it wasn't for that and ended up being just the first 1/3 of the film extended into 90 minutes it would have been among the worst entries with Extiction and Retribution.

But, after a really, really bad presentation with no plot, constant jumpscares and horrible editing, the film actually gets interesting and it does have some nice set pieces, like the idea of the trucks carrying the zombie army or the sequence when they have to defend the skyscraper.

Then the movie moves onto the Hive and it keeps improving, making me think that Paul WS Anderson is just much more comfortable directing in small scenarios. The plot surprises are nice, it finally gives Umbrella an actual reason for unleashing the apocalypse, I was terribly wrong about the identity of the traitor, and Wesker's death didn't bother me as much as to other people. I liked the fight in the corridor from the first film, but it seems pointless when we know Isaacs just has to use the net-like ray to kill Alice.

It wasn't the best way to end the series mainly due to the absolute lack of returning characters and the ugly production design, specially after Retribution had some really cool costumes, but it was also not the worst.

C+

This is an improvement from Retribution and Afterlife. I was actually interested at how it was going to end. The beginning action scenes were poor but it got better and better as it went along. The ending was moving and I was happy with it. I give it a C+. Not a bad way to spend 2 hours. 

Edited by Mr Impossible

I didn't hate this as much on the rewatch after I was prepared for the whiplash editing and the usual Paul Anderson acting. Some scenes still made me turn away but it wasn't as bad as the first time. It's just another dumb entry in this franchise.

I still only like the original although the trailer for the one after Extinction has a great song in it (that I think made it into that scene in the movie). These movies all have weird names. Might have been called Rebirth (Edit: Afterlife)

Revised rating: C-

Edited by somebody85