chrisman0606

Spider-Man (2002)

I was ten years old and I thought superheroes were dumb at the time for some reason. My friend though kept telling me how excited he was for it and then later when he saw it how good it was. Ended up seeing it about a month after it came out with my mom and Aunt. Loved it and when it came out on DVD that November I watched it over and over

• Like 1

Uh... I saw it in its seventh weekend and it still sold out. Granted, it was a Father's Day matinee in a 70-seat auditorium (with another screening half an hour later in a 120-seat auditorium across the hall), but still... ;)

The fact that it beat a new Star Wars movie by about $100 million before factoring in said Star Wars film's IMAX run near the end of the year speaks volumes to just how huge this film was at the time. To put its mammoth performance in even further perspective, its second weekend was the fourth biggest weekend ever at the time and fell less than $1 million short of the previous May opening record. In that light, it makes even the insane second weekends of Force Awakens, Jurassic World, and Avengers look like slouches in comparison.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Uh... I saw it in its seventh weekend and it still sold out. Granted, it was a Father's Day matinee in a 70-seat auditorium (with another screening half an hour later in a 120-seat auditorium across the hall), but still... ;)

The fact that it beat a new Star Wars movie by about $100 million before factoring in said Star Wars film's IMAX run near the end of the year speaks volumes to just how huge this film was at the time. To put its mammoth performance in even further perspective, its second weekend was the fourth biggest weekend ever at the time and fell less than $1 million short of the previous May opening record. In that light, it makes even the insane second weekends of Force Awakens, Jurassic World, and Avengers look like slouches in comparison.

What's crazy imo is if you adjust it's numbers, it's OW is 174m and it's 2nd weekend still would be 108m.

Green goblin's simplistic and rigid suit never bothered me. Whenever he is in the suit the action (and story telling throughout the movie) is tight and engrossing.

This was a great run in that not only the ow record was broken, but the multiplier was a huge 3.52x.

JW was 208.8 ow / 3.1x and TA was 207.36 ow / 3x.

• Like 3

This movie is sort of the the holy grail of box office reporting for the modern era.

I have seen some great openers since 2002 but nothing made me go holy crap about making over 100 million dollars in three days.

I remember seeing it in the news and it was a huge deal it made so much so fast. As impressive 200 million is being the first film to make 7 digits in such a short time was epic.

It made me go $$$$ and made me interested in the box office.

• Like 2

This movie has been on Cinemax and I've been exploiting the hell out of it. Some people credit Jaws or Star Wars or Jurassic Park or Transformers, but Spiderman 02 was that movie for me. Would've been cool to have been old enough to really understand it's amazing run. But then I'd be like pushing 30, so never mind.

Wasnt it assumed this was going to be like the 3rd biggest movie of 2002? And yet it ended up being like the 4th biggest movie of the 2000s. Crazy.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

This movie is so earnest and sincere without every being cloying. Lightning in a bottle and comfortably the best 'first' movie in a SH franchise.

I just love everything about it - it gets better every single time I watch it.

• Like 3

Still the most sincere superhero film I've ever seen. Everything about this brought a good feeling to me, and I still remember watching this for the very first time and got enamored in the whole superhero stuff.

I think modern superhero films can attribute their success to Spider-Man, on how it's the one that cause a huge wave of interest in comic book superheroes for the new millenia.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2017 at 8:09 PM, Mango said:

The Avengers still haven't managed to touch where Spidey was in 2002. The movie was a major home run and the general public interest in Spider-Man was at an all time high. 

This run is also really impressive just for its PTA and screen average. On its first Saturday it made $43.6M from 3,615 sites which translates to a $12,067 PTA. That adjusts to about $18,000 today without adding on for the usual 3D that accompany movies today. And it was on 7,500 screens, a few thousand less than what most big films release on now.

For a blockbuster to match that Saturday volume of money per screen on a 4,300 release on 10,000 screens it would need an $86M day.

That's what End Game gonna top on its Saturday. Hoping for a $89mn Approx Saturday.

• Founder / Operator
On 5/12/2017 at 11:14 AM, Captain H said:

Still the most sincere superhero film I've ever seen. Everything about this brought a good feeling to me, and I still remember watching this for the very first time and got enamored in the whole superhero stuff.

I think modern superhero films can attribute their success to Spider-Man, on how it's the one that cause a huge wave of interest in comic book superheroes for the new millenia.

Nailed it.

• Like 2

First film to evoke mainstream lighthearted goodwill from a super hero movie since perhaps Superman(1978). Loved seeing the flag at the very end. Really helped fuel the superhero movie revolution.  

But yea, that OW was jaw dropping. 

• Like 1

Marketing was insane, blew up the first weekend of May that Mummy movies had previously really begun to exploit. Knew this wold be huge but back then, $74m was huge.

I still remember checking IMDB Monday morning and seeing the $114m estimate and going "WHAT DA FUH"