lilmac

IMDB movie threads shutting down

As many of you know, most of us came from the BOM movie boards. We left because IMDB bought BOM and subsequently shut us down. Now the very same is happening to those who frequented the IMDB boards for years. I wonder if we'll see a trickle effect with some migrating over here. 

• Like 2

At first when I heard about this, I wasn't really that upset, I didn't really post there that often, but I did read the comments alot on their boards, and unlike many movie focused sites they had a large following of tv shows and discussion about them, I would look up the message boards after I watched a movie or Show and see if anyone had the same questions or likes as me, I did it alot more then I realized I guess, becuase now IMDB is just a blank slate going there. Yes they had a bit of a troll problem but it was not as bad as some are lead to believe, and they really just needed better moderation. IMO, let a few trolls come who cares just put them on ignore, the boards were too large to cover everything. and yeah these forums are nice and all but they are very box office focused and geared toward newer films, I can't go here to look up if someone else found that one episode of Friends I watched as funny as I thought or find a forum that explains the very odd subtexts in Mulholland drive. anyways in the end what really got to me and got me really upset about this is that ultimately it is censorship in the worst way possible, they just completely cut off the entire IMDB fanbase from discussing films and interacting with each other, I don't know about you guys but I liked to see people having other opinions and even civil arguments for that matter. 

In my opinion movie culture and society as a whole has gotten so into the politics behind everything and so worried about not offending someone that they forgot what  the fun of movies is about, everything is becoming mandated so that people can't even have thier opinions anymore, this is not a healthy direction for society and frankly it scares me and IMDB is just one instance of this. Just look at this last election it doesn't matter who you voted for, the media and society in general had it played out as a very with me or against me mentality, it spread division in America like no other election I have seen. 

Anyways this is just something I wanted to get off my chest, anyone else share my sentiment? 

Also if you were a IMDB discussion board user moviechat.org has all of the old IMDB board content and you can discuss further there. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2