Blankments

Leap! | Eric Summer & Éric Warin | August 25, 2017

6 hours ago, AABATTERY said:

Pretty sure this is like the third title I've seen for this movie. Got released recently as Ballerina here. 

The reviews are decent though.

The reception for this is mostly positive though. ?

It looks way better than the last Weinstein-animated film, Escape from Planet Earth. And million times better than Norm of the North.

And i have confidence that it's gonna be a good film.

• Like 1

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The reception for this is mostly positive though. ?

It looks way better than the last Weinstein-animated film, Escape from Planet Earth. And million times better than Norm of the North.

And i have confidence that it's gonna be a good film.

That's why I said the reviews are decent :P.

I can't see it doing too well, personally. There's been virtually zero marketing. Maybe a $10-15M total. 

7 hours ago, elcaballero said:

Can the Weinsteins fuck up something that has no expectations?

Not necessarily, no. Yeah, I know the Weinsteins doesn't have that many $100M DOM-grossers (i mean, they only have 5 of them), but if the movie is well liked in the U.S, it could do fine. Not saying it will be huge....but i think some of us are being too harsh on it because Weinstein (off all film studios) distributes the film in the U.S.

Also, an interesting fact about this film it's a foreign animated film actually made at "L'Atelier Animation" and distributed by Gaumont in France & Entertainment One in Canada, and it's called "Ballerina". Weinstein only acquired the U.S distribution rights. That doesn't mean that the "Weinstein Company" actually made the movie.

As for how i think the movie could do in the U.S.....I'll say a solid $20-30M. No more, no less.

Maybe it's underestimated by those who aren't familiar enough with the film's actual creators.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

17 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

That's why I said the reviews are decent :P.

I can't see it doing too well, personally. There's been virtually zero marketing. Maybe a $10-15M total. 

That's a bit lower than say....Norm of the North. ?

If that movie with a very godawful reception could make $17M with a petty 2,411 theaters, i think this film with a better reception could do better than that.

I'll say.....$20-30M DOM. Not big business but a bit better than an absolute failure. And also it's actually a foreign animated film made in France. Hence why it has better reception than some of us expected.

• Like 1

That's a bit lower than say....Norm of the North. [emoji32]

If that movie with a very godawful reception could make $17M with a petty 2,411 theaters, i think this film with a better reception could do better than that.

I'll say.....$20-30M DOM. Not big business but a bit better than an absolute failure. And also it's actually a foreign animated film made in France. Hence why it has better reception than some of us expected.

I honestly thought Norm of the North did similar numbers to The Wild Life. Your prediction is probably about right then. I'll look up how much it made here and try compare it to what it would be USA numbers, but it's 3:30AM here so I'm going to sleep.

1 minute ago, AABATTERY said:

I honestly thought Norm of the North did similar numbers to The Wild Life. Your prediction is probably about right then. I'll look up how much it made here and try compare it to what it would be USA numbers, but it's 3:30AM here so I'm going to sleep.

Nah, The Wild Life did nearly half the DOM-gross of Norm of the North. $8M DOM, that film made. And that's another animated film with atrocious reception along with Norm. ?

• Like 1

Reviews for this are actually pretty decent. Doubt it'll be another Paddington for weinstein though, and especially with BatB on its tail it'll surely not do well. 

This and Rock Dog will be lucky to combine to $25m domestic.

Come to think of it, February to April is ridiculously packed with family and animated films. You've got Lego Batman, Rock Dog, Leap, BatB, Power Rangers (to a lesser extent), Boss Baby, Smurfs, and Spark. Could see them cannibalizing each other while BatB dominates.

• Like 6

I actually converse with the director on twitter once in a while. Really excited for this movie.

When I asked the director about a sequel tho he responded "Please, no sequel" haha. 

He's a cool dude tho. So far has made 48 million worldwide and 30 million budget. Hope it does decent here!