YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

2 minutes ago, Eevin said:

That seems really, really strong for JW2, but I guess it depends how much of a fan rush there was.

Edited by Jayhawk

Holy FUCK, the showing of John Wick starting in a few minutes is up to 61/78 :ohmygod: This is close to what Fifty Shades just did, and that had presales for months. Fucking Lionsgate should have pushed theaters to put it on two screens.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, DAJK said:

2.2 for batman would put it on course to at least match zootopia I would think. I don't know,'at be having batman in the film would have inflated previews a bit, but 75-80M looking rather nice

(sorry I'm basically just posting the obvious here, I really should just go back to sleep, I'm going on about 4 hours here. Damn English essays...)

Lego Batman also started previews at 5PM rather than 7PM.

I guess that makes a difference.

Fifty Shades Darker broke trailer view records, solds tens of millions of copies and was a number one best seller, huge presales, and had marketing everywhere. It was obviously gonna drop, but those 35 million predictions, especially so close to VD, always seemed a bit reactionary to me. I've been thinking it'd still hit around 50 at least. This series ain't Divergent.

I don't get the 85 mill predictions for Lego Batman and never have. It's a spinoff without the novelty or original cast of the first movie. Why in the world would it do 15 million more on opening weekend? This is a legitimate big Batman movie as much as Star Wars:The Clone Wars is Episode 8. It's a kid's animated movie, there's no reason it should increase just because it has a superhero in it. It's an animated spinoff.

John Wick 2 is gonna have a fan rush, but that's still a great number and something like 25/70 would be excellent for it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

After this weekend I wouldn't be surprised if more Lego films with existing franchises are announced including Star Wars.  

Would be cool, but I'm guessing the rights issues won't let that happen. WB owns the Lego and DC universe rights, which makes something like this a no-brainer. Don't know if Disney/LFL would want to team up with WB for a whole movie.