Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

YourMother

Animation Non-Domination (a.k.a. Heartbroken about Lego Batman): Each Animated film excluding DM3 under $250M

68 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Do you think they let Moana fall by the wayside?

No, but I also don't think it's the ceiling for Coco.

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

No, but I also don't think it's the ceiling for Coco.

But if JL opens with $160M+ and SW8 opens with $220M+, it's seems more of a Halloween movie than a holiday movie and the fact with better reviews than Frozen but with a lot less marketing Moana did $243M-$245M domestic. I find it hard to see Coco over $250M, even with rave reviews.

Edited by YourMother
1 person likes this

Star Wars is the only one I'm all that concerned about regarding competition, but if Coco's received as well as Unkrich's last film I think it could have an opening big enough to carry it over.

Not saying it will happen, but I don't want to say it won't.

I'm still thinking Coco will kill the club.

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I'm still thinking Coco will kill the club.

After the performance of Moana and Good Dinosaur, I'm doubtful on Coco hitting 350M at this point.  I think 300M is the ceiling for it with the floor being 150M.  It could go any number of ways.  I'll wait for a trailer before completely judging though.

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

After the performance of Moana and Good Dinosaur, I'm doubtful on Coco hitting 350M at this point.  I think 300M is the ceiling for it with the floor being 150M.  It could go any number of ways.  I'll wait for a trailer before completely judging though.

The club is for 250m though?

Man.  The animated slate this year is looking rough. :(

Also you forgot Rock Dog but no way that's making enough to worry about lol

I don't anticipate a trailer for Coco changing anyone's minds toward the positive. The MO these days is to underestimate Pixar.

6 minutes ago, The Panda said:

The club is for 250m though?

GODDAMN THESE TARGET CHANGES.  MAKE A TARGET AND STICK WITH IT.

1 person likes this

IN

reason: lego batman bombed and donald trump is president. makes sense that anti-intellectual drivel would be the only popular movie this year.

6 hours ago, That One Guy said:

GODDAMN THESE TARGET CHANGES.  MAKE A TARGET AND STICK WITH IT.

I did it to make it more challenging and excluded DM3 because I realize it has 4th of Jully holiday and will probably do over $350M and I don't see any animated film except to make over $250M domestic. 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, That One Guy said:

This is my reason albeit with a lower ceiling, because I think The Star, Thor Rangarok, Ferdinand, Jumanji, JL, and The Last Jedi will effect Coco more than Beasts, Trolls, Strange, Rogue One, and Sing did Moana which didn't do over $250M.

Edited by YourMother
1 person likes this

Just now, narniadis said:

I am in...

Out of curiosity what are your predictions?

1 person likes this

Lego Batman scored a $55.6M debut and could end between $180M-$210M domestic.

1 person likes this

I'm out, something will break out.

Out. Rock Dog gaurenteed to make atleast 400M dom.

2 people like this

13 minutes ago, Stormagden said:

Out. Rock Dog gaurenteed to make atleast 400M dom.

I can't tell if really think Rock Dog over $400M domestic (it'll do that in presales)

1 person likes this

In, now that Lego Batman crushed my dreams. this looks like a really weak year for animation. Coco is really the only one I'm interested in after Lego Batman, and I don't think it will hit $250m. The Star sounds interesting, but I am a little sceptical of the studio behind it.  this feels like a 2014 for animation to me, remember when everyone thought HTTY2 was going to do $280m+ and it couldn't even muster $200m? 

5 minutes ago, Kalo said:

In, now that Lego Batman crushed my dreams. this looks like a really weak year for animation. Coco is really the only one I'm interested in after Lego Batman, and I don't think it will hit $250m. The Star sounds interesting, but I am a little sceptical of the studio behind it.  this feels like a 2014 for animation to me, remember when everyone thought HTTY2 was going to do $280m+ and it couldn't even muster $200m? 

Join the dark side of the force, we (you, me, and @Blankments) lost something special and use that anger to conquer the forum. TBH I saw a drop for HTTYD2 coming.

Edited by YourMother
2 people like this