MCKillswitch123

What if TV shows had box office?

Didn't know where to put this thread, so I'll have it here, and from there on out, I guess mods can change it to where they see fit.

Now, I know that technically, TV shows do make a profit, and ratings is their equivalent of box office numbers. But what if they worked like the movies, and what if they were measured by box office?

For convenience purposes, let's use DOM only numbers, and ignore one-time-a-year events like the Super Bowl, and focus only on television episodic series (that may be from regular cable programming, or from subscription channels like Netflix). Also, let's not refer just to the rating of a single episode, but rather, entire seasons. For instance, "The Simpsons: Season 1 - [insert number] million dollars DOM". Rather seasons than whole shows, since there are shows that have been airing for years, while some lasted less than one.

So, how would you go about this? How would you handle measuring the "box office" of a TV show?

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

Using BOM's 2017 average and total live viewers, this is how much seasons of shows would make:

TWD S7 (so far): 822.4M

Modern Family S8 (so far): 762.8M

GOT S6: 665M

AHS Roanoke: 253.6M

Better Call Saul S2: 186.7M

Lab Rats Elite Force (for @Telemachos): 63.1M

The Leftovers S2: 60.4M

I'll try some more later

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Using BOM's 2017 average and total live viewers, this is how much seasons of shows would make:

TWD S7 (so far): 822.4M

Modern Family S8 (so far): 762.8M

GOT S6: 665M

AHS Roanoke: 253.6M

Better Call Saul S2: 186.7M

Lab Rats Elite Force (for @Telemachos): 63.1M

The Leftovers S2: 60.4M

I'll try some more later

Damn. 1B DOM is all but a lock for TWD S7. What a juggernaut.

(Funny, it's Season 7..... just how The Force Awakens was the 7th movie :jeb!:)

What about the superhero shows? And some Netflix too, curious to see Stranger Things' BO returns.

35 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Damn. 1B DOM is all but a lock for TWD S7. What a juggernaut.

(Funny, it's Season 7..... just how The Force Awakens was the 7th movie :jeb!:)

What about the superhero shows? And some Netflix too, curious to see Stranger Things' BO returns.

For the Netflix shows, I'm using the average views from a Variety article and multiplying it by the number of episodes.

Making a Murderer: 1.15B

The Ranch: 1.04B

Stranger Things: 973.6M

Kimmy Schmidt S2: 683.7M

House of Cards S4: 637.6M

F is for Family: 249.6M

Daredevil S2: 1.5B

Jessica Jones: 703.9M

Gotham S3 (so far): 421.4M

The Flash S3 (so far): 312.7M

AOS S4 (so far): 275.9M

Supergirl S2 (so far); 250.7M

Arrow S5 (so far): 204M

LOT S2 (so far): 185.3M

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Netflix doesn't release ratings or views for thier shows in thier case, which bugs the crap out of me to be honest. but there are some third parties who have done research on the views of certain shows on Netflix. and I did find that Daredevil Season 1 had approx 4.4 million views in its first 11 days of release which adjusted to the 2015 average ticket price would be about $37.1m. I would imagine the actual views have risen considerably since then though, another source I came across said Jessica Jones had 4.8 million views in its first 35 days on streaming. about $40.5m those numbers seem kind of low to me to tbh though. 

@Kalo Yeah, I know about Netflix not releasing their numbers to the public, but there are multiple outlets of their results out there, so there's that.

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

For the Netflix shows, I'm using the average views from a Variety article and multiplying it by the number of episodes.

Making a Murderer: 1.15B

The Ranch: 1.04B

Stranger Things: 973.6M

Kimmy Schmidt S2: 683.7M

House of Cards S4: 637.6M

F is for Family: 249.6M

Daredevil S2: 1.5B

Jessica Jones: 703.9M

Gotham S3 (so far): 421.4M

The Flash S3 (so far): 312.7M

AOS S4 (so far): 275.9M

Supergirl S2 (so far); 250.7M

Arrow S5 (so far): 204M

LOT S2 (so far): 185.3M

Damn. Are you sure these aren't the WW numbers? I think Netflix may account not just for their US viewers when it comes to these things, which would explain why their numbers are much larger than most of the cable shows'. Making A Murderer at 1.15B is MAD. Daredevil 1.5B doesn't shock me if it's WW (kinda funny about it equaling The Avengers tho), but DOM alone? Wow. That's some 40's adjusted for inflation shit right there.

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

@Kalo Yeah, I know about Netflix not releasing their numbers to the public, but there are multiple outlets of their results out there, so there's that.

Damn. Are you sure these aren't the WW numbers? I think Netflix may account not just for their US viewers when it comes to these things, which would explain why their numbers are much larger than most of the cable shows'. Making A Murderer at 1.15B is MAD. Daredevil 1.5B doesn't shock me if it's WW (kinda funny about it equaling The Avengers tho), but DOM alone? Wow. That's some 40's adjusted for inflation shit right there.

The Variety article I got the numbers from said they were from the first 35 days. Netflix numbers are tricky as hell to do.

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Variety article I got the numbers from said they were from the first 35 days. Netflix numbers are tricky as hell to do.

They sure are. The NetflixVerse, in fact, almost a completely different medium than regular TV shows, due to its binge-in-a-day-or-more appeal. It might not even be fair to the regular TV shows, it's like the IMAX 3D combo on steroids :P

Nevertheless, we already have some Billion Dollar Club members (though they might be WW, not DOM):

- Daredevil S2 (1.5B)

- Making A Murderer (1.15B)

- The Ranch (1B)

GOT, Modern Family and TWD probably have at least one BC season too.

EDIT: Also, bummed that Stranger Things didn't get to a billion, I binged this show for the very 1st time this weekend (yeah, I know, wayyyy too late on that bandwagon train), and I loved it. However, it's a guarantee that S2 will cross the billion mark, if not shatter it and go for Jurassic World numbers, maybe even the 2B club.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

So, how would you go about this? How would you handle measuring the "box office" of a TV show?

I would hesitate between 2 different method.

Use the average viewer for a complete season, not by episode, multiplied by the average ticket price.

Look at a formula (or develop one0 that give an idea of a show revenue relative to is rating, do the same for the box office, and use that equivalence.