Plain Old Tele

The Great Wall (2017)

The Great Wall (2017)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The Great Wall doesn't get quite as bad as it was destined for (and in some ways would be welcome) nor is it ever a good film. It has a lavish production, and some interesting cinematography and use of colors that isn't found in a lot of blockbusters today, but the characters are paper thin, and the performances by the two leads, Matt Damon and Jing Tian (waifu) are...not strong. Pedro Pascal and Andy Lau are fine in their supporting roles, I'm not even sure why Willem Dafoe is  in it.Matt Damon however, is absolutely hilarious with a wavering accent that is differing levels of Irish down to his normal Matt damon accent and despite this, is still a somewhat likable protagonist. Perhaps that's a testament to Matt Damon's everyman presence he has built through film. It's still somewhat surreal to see Matt Damon in a monster movie, and it happens to take place in China some 800-900 years ago. It's so ill fitting that it makes the movie more entertaining than it shouldn't. I can't even count the number of times I giggled as he spoke, attempted to fit in with Chinese customs, or fought monsters. A+

• Like 5