John Marston

Armageddon (1998) and Deep Impact (1998)

Godzilla '98 (lmao that movie deserves its own thread) and Pearl Harbor were just plain bad movies and audiences fled from them accordingly. Armageddon isn't a great movie by any means, but at least one can't really say it doesn't accomplish exactly what it sets out to do.

20 hours ago, filmlover said:

Godzilla '98 (lmao that movie deserves its own thread) and Pearl Harbor were just plain bad movies and audiences fled from them accordingly. Armageddon isn't a great movie by any means, but at least one can't really say it doesn't accomplish exactly what it sets out to do.

while Pearl Harbor totally failed to meet the lofty expectations it had it still made money and its legs weren't awful or anything

• Like 3

These two films did a good job of getting the public aware that rocks do strike the earth. Outside of that, DI maybe more serious & Armageddon more funny but they both are pretty stupid on execution given we all would have years/decades of advanced warning on rocks their sizes. Good BO runs for both given the close release dates. 

• Haha 1

I asked my friend  about Armageddon in India. He said Opening was huge all over thanks those visual effects which was liked very much by Indian audiences. However it dint sustain in long run. 

Edited by John Rambo

Armageddon had the most hype and marketing with McDonald's tie-ins, Aerosmith's song, and a 4th Of July weekend release date! I like Armageddon honestly though. 

Deep Impact is one movie that was appealing but something that bring in the more realistic crowd, and it helped bring in audiences in the month of May as it was a summer start. 

On 2/22/2017 at 10:54 AM, 4815162342 said:

Deep Impact is a legitimate good movie, but it begs for a truly epic treatment showing the progression of society as the countdown to apocalypse ticks closer and closer.

It's kinda unrealistic that everything is calm and orderly until about 24 hours to go.

A good vehicle for exploring that would be a miniseries based on the Last Policeman trilogy.

Just checked out some behind the scenes stuff on the Blu Ray. Loads of scenes from DI were cut out in including some that showed the buildup and reaction more

DI is also a better movie than I remembered. Has its flaws but it is somewhat chilling in a way. 

This is a great bo story. Glad both films succeeded.

Two things about Armageddon's bo:

1) The smaller ow : It was a Wed opener. It already did 18m+ Wed and Thur before doing 36+ FSS. As a Friday opener it would have opened above DI.

2) Early vs Deep Summer weekdays : Armageddon's July weekdays were much healthier than DI's early May weekdays (Links to the-numbers.com dailes: ~50% Mon Drops for Arma vs 65-70% for DI). So if you just look at the weekends, they belie the big difference in gross to date.

Because of those two reasons, by 2nd weekend itself you can see a big lead over Deep Impact (100 vs 74). And after that 2nd weekend gross-to-date gap of 16m, the gap increases to 41m by the 5th weekend despite similar weekends due to heavier weekdays.

DI

May 8–10 1 $41,152,375 - 3,156 - $13,039 $41,152,375 1
May 15–17 1 $23,266,622 -43.5% 3,192 +36 $7,289 $73,970,004 2
May 22–24 2 $15,681,386 -32.6% 3,250 +58 $4,825 $95,208,533 3
May 22–25 2 $19,381,788 -16.7% 3,250 +58 $5,964 $98,908,935 3
May 29–31 3 $10,078,344 -35.7% 3,280 +30 $3,073 $112,003,863 4
Jun 5–7 5 $6,656,479 -34.0% 3,280 - $2,029 $121,963,282 5

ARMAGEDDON

Jul 3–5 1 $36,089,972 - 3,127 - $11,541 $54,202,675 1
Jul 10–12 2 $23,557,064 -34.7% 3,136 +9 $7,511 $99,860,537 2
Jul 17–19 3 $16,591,782 -29.6% 3,184 +48 $5,210 $129,134,246 3
Jul 24–26 5 $11,159,371 -32.7% 3,127 -57 $3,568 $149,607,826 4
Jul 31–Aug 2 8 $7,561,217 -32.2% 2,491 -636 $3,035 $163,139,999 5

Edited by a2knet

Has anyone ever wondered why people in NYC lived happily until the moment the wave hit in DI, despite the fact the world was preparing for those imapcts for months?

I mean, sure, at the point the first one hits people might have believed to die anyway - but there is actually a man reading a newspaper right until the water hits him. Some journalists seem to have taken their jobs really seriously to publish a newspaper on doom's day ;)

• Like 1

Deep Impact was also produced by Steven Spielberg. Spielberg was actually considering directing it at once. Interestingly, Spielberg would later go and work with the director of the rival film Armageddon on Transformers

Deep Impact was also the highest grossing film directed by a woman for ten years until Twilight overtook it

Armageddon is also in the Criterion Collection! Hope they release a 4k remastered Blu ray with all the missing special features that are only on the old Criterion DVD

7 hours ago, Jessie said:

Worldwide Armageddon was bigger

Yes, this is true.

7 hours ago, Jessie said:

Armageddon is so much better than deep impact. Guilty pleasure > boring

Armageddon is just awesome!

• Thanks 1

IMPACT obviously is the critically more impressive film as it actually tries to have a story, but it suffers from something much worse - it is a disaster movie that is BORING. The 1 big action scene featuring the insane tsunami is incredible but it's only like 5 minutes long. 

ARMAGEDDON is obviously insanely dumb conceptually but is actually enjoyable to watch. The action is great and relentless, the comedy is hilarious, the music is excellent- it was a much more watchable movie, hence its great legs. Many 1990s kids still know the Aerosmith song and associate it with the movie. Hell, it is really the only movie Liv Tyler is known for. Armageddon boasts one of the worst acting performances I have ever seen (Affleck, sorry) but is ANCHORED by Bruce Willis and supporting folks like Michael Clarke Duncan and Steve Buscemi. 

while Pearl Harbor totally failed to meet the lofty expectations it had it still made money and its legs weren't awful or anything

Pearl Harbor inflates to like $350m domestic and $900m global (considering international growth) and left a sizable pop culture impact in its wake. It was the biggest DVD ever for a time. For a 3 hour world war 2 movie, that is huge. The "next Titanic" hype around it was hilariously ridiculous. I do get why everyone thought it would be huge when it was announced in 1999:

-Bay was red hot after Armageddon was 1998s biggest global movie

-Saving Private Ryan was the biggest domestic film 

-Titanic was big historical event disaster thing

-The actual concept of "massive military airplane attack in paradise" just screamed BIG BUDGET HOLLYWOOD!

But there would be limitations on a 3 hour war movie. 

Both ARMAGEDDON and PEARL HARBOR oddly suffer from a weird dynamic where the romance is horrible (Affleck + Tyler in Armageddon, Affleck/Hartnett + Beckinsale in PH) but another relationship in the film is highly convincing and emotionally connects (Willis + Tyler in Armageddon, Affleck + Hartnett in PH). It works fine in Armageddon because it it is just a subplot but as the primary story in PH, it sucks. 

You can tell Bay was a commercial director as both Armageddon and Pearl Harbor are among the most marketable non-brand films I can recall. Just money shots galore. 

Edited by excel1

I've never heard somebody say that deep impact is boring. I mean we all have different taste in film but I thought deep impact was interesting and exhilarating right from the very beginning. I really enjoyed the characters and the different story lines interconnecting all of them.

Armageddon is easily one of the most entertaining films I've ever seen. And I know people say the concept is stupid but I mean this is Hollywood LOL Hollywood is the king of stupidity at times. Armageddon is insanely rewatchable and it's characters like rockhound and Bear that make the film so great. Bruce Willis is easily the weakest link in the film but it doesn't matter. 

I love both films for different reasons.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, baumer said:

I've never heard somebody say that deep impact is boring. I mean we all have different taste in film but I thought deep impact was interesting and exhilarating right from the very beginning. I really enjoyed the characters and the different story lines interconnecting all of them.

It is clearly the more serious film and suffers a bit by comparison. It was solid as an action film but it really only has truly major action sequence. 

12 hours ago, baumer said:

Armageddon is easily one of the most entertaining films I've ever seen. And I know people say the concept is stupid but I mean this is Hollywood LOL Hollywood is the king of stupidity at times. Armageddon is insanely rewatchable and it's characters like rockhound and Bear that make the film so great. Bruce Willis is easily the weakest link in the film but it doesn't matter. 

I love both films for different reasons.

Armageddon clearly serves a base blueprint for Marvel films in terms of tone and embracing the popcorn factor. I will die on that hill. I also thought Affleck was hilariously awful in Armageddon tbh

• Like 1