baumer

The What's App/Forum members recommended watch list

There's a few of us who have formed a what's app group and every once in a while, movies are recommended by one or more of the group members.  Recently, @Telemachos tricked @CJohn and myself into watching Hard to Be a God.  Cjohn still hasn't done it yet but I had the misfortune of watching all 3 hours of it.

Tele has recommended a few more to me as well.  In return, I have sent him (by mail) a few movies.  They are Last House on the Left (1972), I Spit on your Grave (2010), My Bloody Valentine, (1981), Extreme Prejudice, Indian Summer and Porky's 1 and 2.  He is to watch those as well.

This is a thread for all of us to keep track of when we have watched these films and our reactions to them.  

@CJohn still owes us a viewing of HTBaG and Tele has recommended me a few others as well.  

This will be an on going thread.  

If there are films that you guys would like to recommend as well, feel free.  But it cannot be a list of 10 or 20 films.  You can recommend one and then it's up to the other members to watch it.  This isn't a thread like some of the other threads we've had here.  

Tele....you're move. :)

Related image    Related image

Related image

Related image

Image result for indian summer film

• Like 3

Here's a really cool cast shot of Indian Summer.  Terrific cast

Image result for indian summer film

From top left to right:

Matt Craven

Kimberly Williams

Kevin Pollak

Julie Warner

Vincent Spano

Bill Paxton

Diane Lane 

Alan Arkin

Elizabeth Perkins

Sam Raimi

Indian Summer is absolutely one of my favourites.  

Okay, so I just finished.

It's a film very much of its time. I can see how it was both very influential and why it was extreme and shocking for the time. Not only is the violence a lot grimier and nastier and explicit than most American films of the era, the movie also goes out of its way to show all authority figures as either pompous or incompetent boobs, whereas the youth are either naive innocents to be ruthlessly exploited, or are already so involved in vile evil that there's no hope for them. And, of course, it also shows that violence is systemic, barbaric, and bubbling right underneath the surface of "civility". It feels like a movie made by a bunch of twenty-somethings angry and scared at their world.

That being said, to the jaded eye of anyone who's watched their share of 80s and 90s horror films, it simply won't have the same effect that it did back then. I found myself watching mainly for historical significance than being horrified or truly disgusted -- at least in terms of graphic violence. The movie's still effective in those moments because it's so casual in how it depicts the violence, and how seamy, degrading, and nasty the actions depicted are.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of it -- something like TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is a far more visceral experience for me -- but I can certainly acknowledge its place in the history of the genre.

• Like 1