Get Out (2017)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Get Out (2017)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Super super fun watch. Really great and deeper than you'd think commentary about race relations in America, while adeptly blending a huge amount of comedy and wit. Lil Rey Howery steals pretty much every scene he's in (especially his phone call with Allison Williams) while the final stretch is gloriously messed up and hugely exciting. Seriously, see this with a big crowd. You won't regret it.

Also, 

Spoiler

I fucking knew the main guy's girlfriend was in on the family secret. Allison Williams is awesome following her villainous reveal. 

• Like 6

I think I liked this more than Split.  This is a movie that show there are still original ideas out there.  Sometimes you just need a fresh voice to launch those ideas.  The film is really quite incredible and for me it starts with the acting.  Daniel Kaluuya is new to me as is alison Williams.  They absolutely own this film.  One thing I noticed, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, is that Williams' character gets more and more attractive as the film goes on.  She starts out rather plain and then the more they reveal about her, the hotter she gets.  Strange, but effective.  I concur with Spaghetti ax well when he says that Howery steals every scene he's in.  He's obviously in it for the comedic relief and he does it beautifully.  This is the kind of role Anthony Anderson could do in his sleep 15 years ago.  

It's not a scary horror film so much but it's done so well that you don't really need it to be scary.  There's so many interesting themes here as well.  Since we're allowed spoilers in here, it didn't surprise me that they were using black men and women for their dominant physical traits.  It all made sense and how Peele shows this to the audience is one of the true strengths of the movie.  It's a slow burn where every single white character in the film is just a little bit fucked up.  Some more than others.  

The film was pretty much perfect except for the very end.  I don't know how you tie it all up but getting someone to believe you would be a little daunting so the way they tied it up was fine but I wish they could have done a bit more.

9/10

• Like 7

I could probably write a huge essay about the allegories to how a lot of what the white family did was pretty clearly a tie to slavery, from wanting body parts to looking approvingly at Chris like an auction block. What an amazing score, and great acting

It's the tiny, tiny nuances that really tickle me;

Spoiler

'We've been dating for five months' 'Actually, four' ---> the other guy went missing six months ago.

Chris leaves his girlfriend to die, cold and alone, like he did his mother 

My only super minor nitpicks 

Spoiler

"Hey man where's this dude who used to date this girl you're dating now." but they kind of lampshade that with how she tried to go after the best friend later.

& the part with Chris and his mother was kind of ridiculous but it had a major pay off so no problems...minor problems.

Spoiler

Wasn't surprised by the twist at all, I mean...lots of people pretend to be open minded but in the end run right back to what's familiar, even if it's mind control, literal body stealing ("Get him, Grandpa" HOW FUCKED UP WAS THAT ON MULTIPLE LEVELS) and slavery so...

Solid A.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, baumer said:

One thing I noticed, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, is that Williams' character gets more and more attractive as the film goes on.  She starts out rather plain and then the more they reveal about her, the hotter she gets.  

Maybe you just like psycho chicks? :lol: Or aggressive ones? (I didn't think she was more or less attractive later -- though maybe she wore more makeup?)

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Maybe you just like psycho chicks? :lol: Or aggressive ones? (I didn't think she was more or less attractive later -- though maybe she wore more makeup?)

Nope, it was pretty deliberate imo.  She starts out with bangs that basically come down to her eyes and she mostly wears unrevealing clothes.  By the end when she's listening to Time of My Life, she's got her hair in a pony tail to show how beautiful her face is, and her all white outfit is very form fitting and a little revealing.  Again, I'm not sure why they did this, but to me, it is pretty clear they did.

A creepy and at times very funny horror/comedy hybrid that is also very much timely. It's refreshing to see a horror movie that relies more on psychological chills than blood and guts being spewed everywhere, and the film's social commentary is on the dot. And it all culminates in a crazy climax in which anything and everything happens (my audience cheered at several big moments). The cast is strong as well: Daniel Kaluuya is an appealing protagonist the audience can sympathize with, Allison Williams is a delightful screen presence, and Catherine Keener and Bradley Whitford leave subtle hints at insidious intentions that lies beneath their calm and collected surface. Also deserving a special mention is LilRel Howery, who gets all of the film's funniest moments. A very auspicious debut behind the camera for Jordan Peele. B+

I didn't like the ending only because Chris didn't deserve to have been played by Rose. It's really a pessimistic Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, where open-minded guy was spectacularly duped and his skeptical friend was proven right that , well, mixing is not a good idea. The opposite of Sydney Poitier classic. I wished that Rose didn't crush his world. 

I don't know what to say. Wherever the hilarious, chilling, and provocative film titled Get Out was, it wasn't the one screening at my theater. It consistently felt like it was missing a spark, which probably wasn't helped by the rather flat performances from most of the main characters and annoyingly over-the-top ones from the rest. The film really strains to create a creepy atmosphere that just isn't supported very well by the events that are actually transpiring, with the exception of the modestly engaging hypnosis sequences. I was also troubled by implications that could be drawn from the climax that undermine what Jordan Peele seemed to be aiming for here. Just did not like this much at all.

A very good but very fucked up movie, for a first-time director Jordan Peele does some great shots and the film is well made. The acting in the film is very good especially Daniel Kaluya(butchered it but oh well) and I liked Bradley Whitford in the film as well Brian Williams Daughter who is crazy as hell near the end. The first half is great and starts up the film as something to make us wonder of what will happen, and then the next two halfs of the film amp it up all the way to 11 and it gets crazy as hell. Also the third half of the film, I'm glad that they didn't fuck it up with oh the black dude is fucked and then kill him off but instead make him the badass, and I thought the friend Rod was very funny in the film and added some humor to the film as well. While this isn't a horror film that we normally see today with sequels, found footage, or ghosts, it's finally something that is original and effective which I'm glad directors and writers and the actors are making horror films nowadays that hit home which is what Get Out does. Overall the acting was great, some disturbing scenes, and a greatly made film for a directorial debut of Jordan Peele. Even right now talking about it, I wanna see it again! Anyway very good movie even though it has some fucked up but cool imagery Get Out is I will highly recommend. Grade:B+

Speaking as someone who's generally not a big horror fan, GET OUT was terrific. The best mainstream horror thriller since THE SIXTH SENSE. Pulling for some awards love and $200m domestic, because by God does it deserve it. A

This is awesome. One of the kind of movies where you're going to have to watch it a few times to catch everything. I definitely don't see it as a horror film though, more of a psychological thriller. I would have to say I loved just about everything about this film and it only gets better as it goes along. My fiancée and I both thought Chris was fucked when that cop car shows up at the end because we both thought it was the cop in the beginning of the movie. This movie is entertaining, smart, and crazy (in a good way).

• Like 1

It's brilliant how after reflecting about the movie all the details you experienced on surface level work on a whole upper level of social commentary about racial politics, you realize how Jordan Peele really thought out and framed the narrative to make sense on a subtext level. The "twist" shines a truly unsettling and horrifying light on all the main protagonist's interactions (played by fresh faced newcomer Daniel Kaluuya). The movie felt like the embodiment of that troubling angst black people consciously or unconsciously experience while navigating their environment in a black skin inside the western world in which your appearance can ankwardly taint, impact and dictate your interactions (and ultimately your whole life) at a minute notice. But the devastating truth is that insidious ankwardness is a thinly veiled sneaky paradigm actually rooted in hard boiled prejudice that can trigger its ugly head exploding back into your face. (As a black guy born and bred in Europe, I can certainly relate to that experience).

And that's what makes it more frightening than most horror movies because those fucked up racial dynamics actually exist in the real world and have been for a long time. So at first, it seems like a typical modern horror movie with comedic relief then you realize you're watching a clever psychological thriller dealing with relevant contemporary issues that could have been made in the seventies full of social metaphors and allegories. (I was thinking of Body Snatchers, obviously, especially when the "maid servant" was oblivious to Chris use of the word "snatch". After the revelation, it's now obvious why...Similarly that throwaway joke about the grandpa being gutted Jesse Owens beat him back then takes a creepy turn when you realize who actually inhabits the athletic housekeeper's body. Likewise, the fact that Chris is a talented photographer that is auctioned to a talentless blind old white man that literally wants to steal his gaze, co-opt his works and reap the rewards of a black man's talent. A creepy illustration of appropriation). But Peele keeps it firmly grounded in our current times aesthetically (so the movie references don't jump at you overtly in a fan-service-y way to detract you from the movie's disturbing story) and tonally. (It also made me think of the work of photographer Hank Willis Thomas about the commodification of black people throughout american history up to this day).

A real sucker punch of a movie. Not only we should need more horror movies crafted like this but also we just need more movies like this. Period.

(Yeah, Fuck Dirty Dancing)

A+.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 10

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 2:32 PM, baumer said:

Nope, it was pretty deliberate imo.  She starts out with bangs that basically come down to her eyes and she mostly wears unrevealing clothes.  By the end when she's listening to Time of My Life, she's got her hair in a pony tail to show how beautiful her face is, and her all white outfit is very form fitting and a little revealing.  Again, I'm not sure why they did this, but to me, it is pretty clear they did.

Maybe it's because she's back in "seducing" mode after she's done with Chris. She's hunting a new prey lusting after black bodies to lure and abduct for her "family business".

Peele really gave the concept of the "Becky with the good hair" a brand new sinister undertone.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Maybe it's because she's back in "seducing" mode after she's done with Chris. She's hunting a new prey lusting after black bodies to lure and abduct for her "family business".

Peele really gave the concept of the "Becky with the good hair" a brand new sinister undertone.

That's a great Point buddy. When you see her in the movie at the beginning she is obviously three or four or six months into the relationship so, like many other relationships, you don't need to try anymore. But yes at the end she is going back on the prowl. Great observation. Thanks for posting that.

• Like 2