Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

6 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Jesus Hidden Figures!

Yes HF has really impressed me. That movie is massive . It would have been even bigger if it was released in August I think.

I wonder how close it will get to The Help's total of 169. 

Edited by ban1o

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Horror and thrillers are budgeted so that they'll make money no matter what, I suspect the studio spends more on P&A.

It doesn't mean they're going to stop making blockbusters just because a few horrrors and thrillers have done well because blockbusters do make money and have ancillary revenue but unless you're Disney, it's not cost effective to have solely blockbusters so studios balance with cheaper genres which hopefully will be profitable. Look at Warner Bros/New Line, their summer slate last year  was a mix of horror, comedy and a romantic drama and all were profitable. 

That a bit of an exaggeration, like you are saying production budget are about only 33-35% of the studio total expense on a movie and it is much less than that for those small budget title, it is alwaysl expensive to give a movie a good wide release, they often spend 30 million on the domestic market alone for the release, really big push like split are not much cheaper than a blockbuster release wise, above 40 million on the domestic market. The advantage of those movie, is that if they do not play well you can cut your lost and only spend on those who test screen really well but when you do, you usually spend a lot, sometime more than on those giant blockbuster on the release (domestic at least). 

A movie like Prom night for example:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Prom-Night-(2008)#tab=summary

Still didn't made much money, it made 79.5 million in revenue and costed just 10.2 million to do but.

Domestic P&A: 30.8 million

International P&A: 8.72 million

Home Ent release cost: 8 million

Intl Ent release cost: 2.7 million

Residual 4.5 million

Talent Participation bonus: 3.3 million

Co-financier share: 10 million

Overhead: 0.5 million

No profit left.

That why smaller the budget, usually higher the box office / production budget ratio need to be for it to be a success.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

I finally saw a trailer for that the other day. What the fuck. :lol: Also, that movie was produced by Orion. Dances with Wolves and The Silence of the Lambs were so long ago.

Orion went bankrupt a long time ago. The studio's pretty much a former shell of itself. Heck I think it pretty much exists in name only these days. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, department store basement said:

May I ask why they can't both do well independently of each other?

Cuz Logan will take some of it's potential audience... Split had great legs partly due to no competition. Logan will probably have at least a 60 million OW. I'm not saying Get Out won't do well but it will obviously hurt it's legs. 

• Like 1