Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Who would've guessed the compulsive ass slapping baseball player from a skit show would become an A-List horror writer/director. :kitschjob:

Certainly a magnificent directorial debut. Sadly, that kind of means he'll fall short his next film.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What about Split?

I don't think that Split is a crowdpleaser in the same way Get Out is. At my showing, people were basically cheering on the protagonist. I know Split has humor, but Get Out is downright hilarious at times. And in response to your other question...I think Get Out is a better film for sure, but I do like Split a lot.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, LateReg said:

I don't think that Split is a crowdpleaser in the same way Get Out is. At my showing, people were basically cheering on the protagonist. I know Split has humor, but Get Out is downright hilarious at times. And in response to your other question...I think Get Out is a better film for sure, but I do like Split a lot.

What is ur prediction for Cinema-Score? Maybe you can give it a range?

=)

• Like 1

Solid debut for Get Out! It could do $25-$30 million this weekend, and probably make $75-$85 million domestic more likely. Unless it has phenomal legs(if it does) $100 million could be in play. 

But let's see how matinees are I'm expecting a $10-$12 million OD for now.

26 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I'm genuinely curious to see people's opinions on which one is better; Split or Get Out.

It's not even close IMO. One is an entertaining, above average thriller with a couple of very good performances. The other will stand the test of time as an eternal classic in the genre.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

It's not even close IMO. One is an entertaining, above average thriller with a couple of very good performances. The other will stand the test of time as an eternal classic in the genre.

A classic? Interesting.

Is it more of a commentary on American culture or on racism in general? What I'm asking is, do you think it will have the same kind of impact on people outside America?  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

A classic? Interesting.

Is it more of a commentary on American culture or on racism in general? What I'm asking is, do you think it will have the same kind of impact on people outside America?  

Hmmm, interesting question. I certainly think it will impact more Americans, since it takes into account our racial history and current political context.

Edit- to tack on, I think there is something universal about racism, although this movie doesn't play into loud and proud racism, but subtle racism from people like "white liberal elites."

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2

HOT DAMN. That's Don't Breathe type scale right there. Really, really impressive start, and 30M could be in play if WOM catches on like wildfire.

That being said, the folks saying it'll do 100M need to calm the fuck down. Split opened to 40M, and had a broader field to play in. It didn't have to deal w/guaranteed 50M+ opener the following 3 weekends in a row like Get Out has to (Logan, Kong, BATB). If it does reach 100M, that'd be monumental to say the least. Otherwise, a Don't Breathe performance would be very, very good.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eevin said:

@WrathOfHan: Split

Everyone else: Get Out

27 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Get out.

• Like 5