Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Other box office news. Resident Evil 6 is looking tondo a crazy amount in China. Maybe close to 200m total

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottMendelson/status/835157347320348672?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

It's got a shot at 200m. Depends on how well Wolverine 3 : Battle to the Death does next weekend.

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, it's great to see that the horror genre is actually trying again after years of "found footage" movies taking over and running the genre.

There's been a lot of good horror in the last few years like The Conjuring, Don't Breath etc but I do agree that while horror will always be a genre where you can make a quick buck, a good quality horror film can make even more. Even the cheap as chips films like Lights Out have been good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olive said:
TOP Opening Days in China 
Rank Movie Ttitle OD Gross OD incl. midnights Date
#1 Journey to the West 2 ¥355.8 ¥367.7 2017/1/28
#2 Fast and Furious 7 ¥346.4 ¥398.9 2015/4/12
#3 Mermaid  ¥272.1 ¥277.0 2016/2/8
#4 Warcraft ¥251.5 ¥301.6 2016/6/8
#5 Resident Evil :Final Chapter ¥208.0 ¥224.2 2017/2/24
#6 Lost in HK ¥199.3 ¥210.2 2015/9/25
#7 Star Wars EP7 ¥196.3 ¥212.2 2016/1/9
#8 Buddies in India ¥188.6 ¥194.2 2017/1/28
#9 Avengers Age of Ultron ¥185.9 ¥215.6 2015/5/12
#10 Captain America 3 ¥181.2 ¥198.2 2016/5/6
11 Man from Macau 3 ¥176.3 ¥182.6 2016/2/8
12 Transformers 4 ¥174.4 ¥195.3 2014/6/27
13 The Monkey King 2 ¥166.5 ¥168.5 2016/2/8
14 Monster Hunt ¥162.7 ¥168.1 2015/7/16
15 Mojin:The Lost Legend ¥161.6 ¥170.2 2015/12/18
16 The Time Raiders ¥161.3 ¥200.1 2016/8/5
17 Terminator Genisys ¥154.3 ¥168.0 2015/8/23
18 Devil and Angel ¥152.7 ¥157.7 2015/12/24
19 Ip Man 3 ¥148.6 ¥155.3 2016/3/4
20 xXx: The Return of Xander Cage ¥139.1 ¥144.2 2017/2/10

5th biggest opening day ever in China, that's insane.

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Compared to the much cooler idea of a monster baiting Pedro Pascal like a matador, it kinda does, yeah.

Maybe he should kill the monster, or think he does, starts gloating, gets tripped up by the monster, monster grabs his head and makes it explode by crushing his head with its bare hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Maybe he should kill the monster, or think he does, starts gloating, gets tripped up by the monster, monster grabs his head and makes it explode by crushing his head with its bare hands.

Yeah, that's better. He should use only one hand to crush his head. And then use the separated body as a battering ram to kill every other enemy. And then use it as one of those rolling barbecue things to cook the dead enemies.

Disclaimer: it's nothing personal against Pedro Pascal, it's just much funnier to think about :ph34r:

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, DAR said:

I've never been a big horror guy.  But it seems like lately there's some actual effort being put into these movies lately instead of "we'll make something quick, get some beautiful but crappy actors and make the film for peanuts.  Go picture."

There has been a renaissance in American Horror ever since It Follows a couple years back. It harkens back to the golden age in the 1970s. This is in addition to Blumhouse crushing it with more traditional horror genre work. It is a wonderful time for horror in American film.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

There has been a renaissance in American Horror ever since It Follows a couple years back. It harkens back to the golden age in the 1970s. This is in addition to Blumhouse crushing it with more traditional horror genre work. It is a wonderful time for horror in American film.

Blumhouse finally knows what the people want! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Agreed. I'd take it back further from It Follows though. Filmmakers like Adam Wingard and Ti West. Joss Whedon's take on the genre too just before Avengers. Of course, Ana Lily Amirpour with A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night as well.

- Cabin In the Woods

- You're Next

- The Guest

- The Innkeepers

- House Of The Devil

Outside of the US... Ben Wheatley's been delivering the goods for years now with Kill List, Sightseers, Field In England. Peter Strickland gave the subversive, fever dream Berberian Sound Studio. Just had The Wailing this year out of South Korea. The Babadook from Jennifer Kent a year or two ago out of Australia. I'm sure I'm missing many, many more.

Back in the US though, heck, can't forget Winding Refn's Neon Demon this year as well as Saulnier's Green Room. And, of course, The VVitch and The Invitation.

The ones that I'm most anxious to see at the moment that I have yet to see being Autopsy Of Jane Doe, Raw, The Lure, The Eyes Of My Mother and Demon.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

James Wan and Jason Blum seem to be leading the way with good horror 

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

James Wan and Jason Blum seem to be leading the way with good horror 

Yup. I left The Conjuring off my list. Definitely. Glad Blum's producing some good stuff but he's near bottom of what's been interesting in horror in the last five years or so for me. Just find stuff outside Paranormal Activity, The Gift, The Visit, Split and Hush pretty stale. Of course, Get Out likely make that list too after I see it today. Blumhouse pumps out a whole lotta stuff. At least some of it's damn good. Creep was alright as well.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think the seeds for the renaissance were planted all the way back in 2012 w/The Cabin In The Woods, V/H/S, and Sinister. Then it really started in 2013 w/Mama and The Conjuring.

Yeah. Mama was fun and V/H/S had some mega young talents in the genre working on it. Agree entirely as when the seed was planted though. Right around 2012.

If you care about RT, here's one for ya - Get Out is at a pretty astonishing 122 Fresh, 0 Rotten. 8.3/10 critics average (and 83 on Metacritic), 81% audience score. That is batshit crazy. Not even Mad Max: Fury Road accomplished that.

Universal is having a banner year so far, between Split, A Dog's Purpose, Fifty Shades Darker, and now this (and The Great Wall has done great OS, but that's more 2016).

• Like 1

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

If you care about RT, here's one for ya - Get Out is at a pretty astonishing 122 Fresh, 0 Rotten. 8.3/10 critics average (and 83 on Metacritic), 81% audience score. That is batshit crazy. Not even Mad Max: Fury Road accomplished that.

Universal is having a banner year so far, between Split, A Dog's Purpose, Fifty Shades Darker, and now this (and The Great Wall has done great OS, but that's more 2016).

White guilt. His power.

• Like 1