Grade it  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

When Charles died I was like

giphy.gif

and when Logan died I was like

tumblr_inline_ob40mjCodn1swo8gf_500.gif

wwe-showul-crying-sports-crying-gifs.gif

The best superhero movie since TDK and an absolute amazing way to end Jackman's run as The Wolverine. 

A+

• Like 7

One of the top 5 comic book movies.

+ funny, brutal, and with a big heart. The ending packs a hell of an emotional punch and the final shot is great. The main trio are all excellent. Unburdened by the constraints of a "universe", the movie has real stakes and feels surprisingly fresh

- familiar plot, one action scene too many, too little time spent with the black family

9/10

• Like 5

Had a very good time seeing this, but something is definitely lacking. It doesn't do any of the heavy lifting well enough I'm afraid. And to be honest, I thought the first two acts of The Wolverine (a movie that a like a lot) were stronger. 85/100

Pretty damn good. 

I've never read the comics and avoided spoilers. 

It was a slow and steady build but when the girl came out and threw that guy's head on the ground I thought of the immortal words of Ricky Baker. 

"Shit! Just! Got! Real!"

• Like 3

Best comic book film since TDK and certainly a top 3 of all time in that category. It's the best X-Men related film of them all.

Way to go out with a bang, Hugh. We're gonna miss ya.

• Like 1

Fantastic movie, with the best performances of the main trio I have ever seen in a superhero movie. what a way for Jackman to end his run as Wolverine, the cinematography was so great. really good score, fantastic, brutal action scenes, so many emotional moments. Dafne Keen was really good as X2 was just outstanding, I since bright things ahead for her future. it wasn't perfect, though the beginning was a bit slow and took a whole to pick up, but once it did it grabs hold of you and doesn't let go.  I still think I liked DOFP just slightly better, but this movie is way more unique as far as Superhero films go.

Oh man the movie just ended and holy shit that movie was fantastic and I now have to say it is my favorite CBM of all time. Mangold, Hugh and everyone else did a great job with acting, theme, cinematography, and a lot more. What I liked was a change of pace they are doing for a CBM and I am glad. I came in being excited and wow I'm more excited even more. Also I cried during the movie with the death of Logan and professor Xavier being tearful for me. My only complaint would be the movie felt kinda long, but overall still good. A

Edited by chrisman0606
  • Like 1

I thought it was....okay. More to the point, I thought the first 2/3rds, up until the farmhouse fight scene, were pretty outstanding. A great neo Western with character, heart, brains, and some very well staged action. But man did the third act fall off a fucking cliff. Two new villains are introduced that we have ZERO reason to care about, one of whom is literally a mute clone, which has to be the most boring thing I could have possibly imagined. There's endless repetitive dialogue and action scenes that wear thin, some truly shitty special effects, and mediocre kids acting characters we have no reason to care about. It was telling a terrific Western story and then it turned into a silly comic book movie. It's okay to be a silly comic book movie, but for about an hour and a half this wasn't, so it kinda sucked.

Also, I know everyone is going gaga over Wolverine dying...but eh. Frankly, I think it would have been more interesting to have him live. This is like our tenth time with this iconic character. In the end, his arc was that he was a cynical tough guy who is really good and finds a reason to fight. That's been his character arc for the last nine movies! Did we really have to hear that again, with an anticlimatic death scene tacked on to "end it all?" Seriously, 10 movies with this character for him to have the exact same arc as always and get killed by a nameless clone introduced 2/3rds into the final movie by getting impaled with a tree branch. That's it? We spent all that time with Wolverine for that? Kinda lame, IMO. I'm not one to tell filmmakers what they should do with their art, but that shit just did not land for me.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 6

Pretty fucking good. Has some great performances and the action was a blast thanks to the R-rating. Some of the creative choices they made didn't really hit the mark for me but not enough to drag it down. 

a.

8/10

The two big weaknesses are

1) the somewhat murky premise and backstory and elements that only further muddy the waters of the Continuity.

Like, what is the point of DOFP if basically by the same time anyway in Timeline #2 Mutants are gone anyways due to a mix of worldwide gene tinkering and Prof X psychically manslaughtering nearly every X-Man/X-Woman of note? Only if this film exists in its own special timeline, which is never hinted at or stated

Add on that the film slams to a halt about 10 minutes before the end, just so Big Bad Scientist can pontificate to the audience with some exposition about why things are the way they are. This is a film that needed refining and clarification on where it stood in the X-World.

2) X-24 = Weapon 11 from X-Men Origins: Wolverine. A boring wordless brute introduced in the endgame just so Wolverine could yet again fight a physical enemy and get his ass kicked again.

• Like 2

Fleshing out my thoughts a little more.

If you are seeking for something different, something that doesn't come from Disney Happy Meal school of blockbusting, you might find plenty of enjoyment to be had with the third Wolverine outing, which for many will be the only good Wolverine solo movie. The James Mangold film knows when and how to be funny, its action sequences are intensely grounded and refreshingly CGI-free, the stakes are as real as they could ever be, the performances are significantly above anything in the in the genre in a long time, and holy shit it packs one hell of an emotional punch.

If you already love those characters, like me for instance, the impact is even greater.

Now, if you are seeking a truly transcendent superhero picture, something akin to real great blockbusters, you will probably leave the theater disappointed. It is not thematically focused, displaying problematic character development and hitting every plot beat one could expect.

Basically, Logan is the very least we should be asking from our big budgeted movies.

• Like 1

I appreciated some of the goofy camp.

Like the way Boyd Holbrook gets taken out is 100% super campy but I dug it.

The 10+ second shot of the short fat kid running away got big laughs too.

I would have liked a 5-minute coda showing what happened once the kids crossed into Canada.

• Like 2

Okay so my thoughts. I gave it a B. I loved Logan but at the same time I felt like there was something missing. There were times during the movie where I felt like it dragged but at the same time you couldn't really take out those parts. After sleeping on it my biggest issues for the movie and why I can't give it an A are:

1) Like others have said we spend almost 17 years with these characters and Wolvie plus Charles get killed off my a wanna be Wolverine? I get the killing him off part but I wish he either would have survived or he would have died from something else. I don't know I just felt like it was kind of lame. 

2) Like I mentioned above,there were times where I felt like the movie was dragging along. I just got bored with the whole oh they made it to a destination, they're found and now need to find a way to escape. But like I said, I don't think anything could actually be cut out. 

What I liked: 

1) Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman and the girl who played X-23 were fantastic and in my opinion are the reason why this movie is as good as it is. 

2) The story was really good (up until the way they killed him off) and I felt like it was showing how you can make a comic book film seem more realistic and personal aka not the end of the world BS we typically see. 

3) The script was really good too. There were times where I rolled my eyes because I felt like an F bomb was dropped just for the sake of dropping an F bomb. 

Overall Logan is a really good movie. It's a different type of comic book movie that actually cares about its story and the characters in it. I definitely recommend folks to watch it. In terms of my rank on comic book films: I don't think it's as good as TDK the way some reviews were hinting at and I don't see it getting the same awards buzz either the way some reviews were hinting at. It's in my top five though which has in no particular order GOTG, Deadpool, Winter Soldier, TDK and now Logan. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

8/10

The two big weaknesses are

1) the somewhat murky premise and backstory and elements that only further muddy the waters of the Continuity.

Like, what is the point of DOFP if basically by the same time anyway in Timeline #2 Mutants are gone anyways due to a mix of worldwide gene tinkering and Prof X psychically manslaughtering nearly every X-Man/X-Woman of note? Only if this film exists in its own special timeline, which is never hinted at or stated

Add on that the film slams to a halt about 10 minutes before the end, just so Big Bad Scientist can pontificate to the audience with some exposition about why things are the way they are. This is a film that needed refining and clarification on where it stood in the X-World.

2) X-24 = Weapon 11 from X-Men Origins: Wolverine. A boring wordless brute introduced in the endgame just so Wolverine could yet again fight a physical enemy and get his ass kicked again.

I'm really, really glad the movie left all that shit well alone, and didn't bother acknowledging any messy mythologies and continuities.

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

I appreciated some of the goofy camp.

Like the way Boyd Holbrook gets taken out is 100% super campy but I dug it.

The 10+ second shot of the short fat kid running away got big laughs too.

I would have liked a 5-minute coda showing what happened once the kids crossed into Canada.

I loved that the ending was somewhat ambiguous. I wish more movies were brave enough to end like that, instead of spoon-feeding the audience ad nauseam.

• Like 3

B/B-. Chuck's death was just weird, felt badly timed. X24 was a bad final boss to fight. It really starts to drag after Patrick Stewart is gone, and it makes me wonder if their wasn't scenes they could have cut out of that third act to tighten it up. (Like showing Calibad's body, just so we know he died?)

Also did we only get X-23's toe claws only once in the movie? Their is some strong drama, and changing Wolverine from killing the X-Men to Xavier is a neat little twist. And the convoluted explanation for why no more mutants seemed a bit too easy to miss. Also acknowledging the first X-Men movie was a poor idea which just confuse people about where, when, why this takes place.

Edited by RandomJC
  • Like 3