Grade it  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• Community Manager
Just now, filmlover said:

Same. This group of early 20-somethings were dying in the row behind me over that.

I swear. The people behind me also laughed throughout the movie during other serious moments and whispered. I did my best to ignore them but jeesh it was annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if they were high.

• Like 2

Just now, Water Bottle said:

I swear. The people behind me also laughed throughout the movie during other serious moments and whispered. I did my best to ignore them but jeesh it was annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if they were high.

My audience basically lost it every time Logan went into full Wolverine mode and sliced someone apart. This movie fucking owned its R rating.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

My audience basically lost it every time Logan went into full Wolverine mode and sliced someone apart. This movie fucking owned its R rating.

There was a couple next to me who brought their ten-year old child to the movie. I wonder if they knew what they were getting into.

(Also I got a red band trailer for Alien Covenant and I have no idea why it had a red band rather than a green band.)

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

There was a couple next to me who brought their ten-year old child to the movie. I wonder if they knew what they were getting into.

(Also I got a red band trailer for Alien Covenant and I have no idea why it had a red band rather than a green band.)

Pretty sure one of the characters drops an F-bomb. 

There was actually a kid with his parents at my showing but he looked about 13-14 and likely sees/hears worse at school every day, so whatever.

Also, did anyone else get that Deadpool short before the movie that used the iconic Superman theme? lmao I'm ssoooooo happy I wasn't spoiled on that. Gives me hope that the sequel won't see a complete nosedive in quality.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There was actually a kid with his parents at my showing but he looked about 13-14 and likely sees/hears worse at school every day, so whatever.

Also, did anyone else get that Deadpool short before the movie that used the iconic Superman theme? lmao I'm ssoooooo happy I wasn't spoiled on that. Gives me hope that the sequel won't see a complete nosedive in quality.

The Deadpool short lasted too long and the Superman joke lasted too long as well. As with the original movie, it was just too much.

• Like 2

Conversely, this movie was the antithesis of Zack Snyder's recent forays in the comic book movie world in proving that a superhero movie can, in fact, be both incredibly dark and a lot of fun at the same time. 

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 8

I agree with everyone saying the kids were unnecessary, it detracts from the main story (bringing Laura to safety), dilutes the dramatic tension at the end of the movie between too many characters, and introduces lots of special powers... which generally means more plot holes in superhero movies as it's really hard to properly juggle lots of different powers in a scene without making a mess out of everything, which definitely happens here. The end of the movie suffers from the "let's show this guy's power" syndrome generally found in X-men/Avengers movies, which means you show the character's power... and then it's never really used in a meaningful way again. Cool moment maybe, but it doesn't serve the story really.

That being said, I thought the movie was fantastic regardless, mainly because of the main trio. I mean, the writers are obviously to be credited here, but the main trio just sell their characters flawlessly, so from that point on, the rest is just gravy. I love the small surprises the movie has in store for us, sometimes cutting out of scenes at weird moments, or how a few characters had sudden things happening to them (the antagonist at first who gets shot, Charles who gets stabbed out of nowhere, among others)

Dafne Keen is a revelation, although I wish her powers had been more different. Kid just rocks.

And will someone please tell me how they filmed all those acrobatics? It can't possibly be Dafne herself! I mean I just saw yesterday a kid doing that kinda stuff in The Enforcer, a chinese movie featuring Jet Li, but that was a Chinese movie, and he was famous for being a black belt at 8 years old. Kids usually aren't martial arts pro in the USA, so that was most likely a double. 

The fight sequences at the beginning were really awesome, I want more of that in Western movies!

Anyway, great movie, loved the feeling of dread you get throughout the movie, ending is a bit sloppy but nothing too important. 

2nd favorite fox-marvel movie for me (behind DOFP, which is my all-time favorite superhero movie).

A

edit: Fuck me multi-sideways, Dafne Keen is a martial arts, tumbling, and acrobatics expert and did her own flips :ohmygod:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3

• Community Manager
Just now, filmlover said:

Conversely, this movie was the antithesis of Zack Snyder's recent forays in the comic book movie world in proving that a superhero movie can, in fact, be both incredibly dark and a lot fun at the same time. 

but he didn't go into prison and get raped.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

I agree with everyone saying the kids were unnecessary, it detracts from the main story (bringing Laura to safety)...

I disagree, one of the thematic points was her holding on to hope, which is exactly what the kids were: hope for future generations of mutants. 

Otherwise it's an even bleaker story: her essentially being the last mutant, doomed to violence and suffering. 

• Like 7

• Community Manager
Just now, Telemachos said:

I disagree, one of the thematic points was her holding on to hope, which is exactly what the kids were: hope for future generations of mutants. 

Otherwise it's an even bleaker story: her essentially being the last mutant, doomed to violence and suffering. 

Get rid of the kids and you don't have the fantastic scene where she bullies Wolverine into doing what she wanted by saying their names over and over again. What a fantastic scene that was in general.

• Like 8