Grade it  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I disagree, one of the thematic points was her holding on to hope, which is exactly what the kids were: hope for future generations of mutants. 

Otherwise it's an even bleaker story: her essentially being the last mutant, doomed to violence and suffering. 

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Get rid of the kids and you don't have the fantastic scene where she bullies Wolverine into doing what she wanted by saying their names over and over again. What a fantastic scene that was in general.

Hmm, I worded it out pretty badly, I agree with people that the kids were unnecessary... but only at the end. 

The "quest" to go to them, to Eden, worked wonderfully well and provided great purpose to Laura, and Logan by extension.

I just hoped and hoped that they would never actually find them. That the kids would all be dead or gone. Or maybe they could have found like, 1 kid, or 2 kids. I mean, what are the odds that so many of them escaped? Without parents or adults or family to take care of them, guide them? While also being hunted by a powerful organization? 

C'mon, they're zero to none. Laura having successfully escaped was already the miracle the story needed, adding in the other kids having escaped also diminishes from Laura's adventures, seeing as well, so many of them made it! The hope to find the other kids was a great element, but actually finding them I thought didn't work. Add to that the kids fighting at the end which contrasts greatly in tone with the rest of the movie and well, you got the ending we have.

It should have stayed personal 'til the end, is what I'm saying. :redcapes:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

The scene right afterwards where he's losing his mind fucking up his truck was simultaneously gut wrenching and comical.

I've seen people respond to tragedy like that in real life, so that scene really hit home and felt real to me.

8 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Yeah the moment kids entered the picture I started getting flashes of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Hook, and Robin hood Prince of Thieves 

I got serious Beyond Thunderdome vibes as well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Hmm, I worded it out pretty badly, I agree with people that the kids were unnecessary... but only at the end. 

The "quest" to go to them, to Eden, worked wonderfully well and provided great purpose to Laura, and Logan by extension.

I just hoped and hoped that they would never actually find them. That the kids would all be dead or gone. Or maybe they could have found like, 1 kid, or 2 kids. I mean, what are the odds that so many of them escaped? Without parents or adults or family to take care of them, guide them? While also being hunted by a powerful organization? 

C'mon, they're zero to none. Laura having successfully escaped was already the miracle the story needed, adding in the other kids having escaped also diminishes from Laura's adventures, seeing as well, so many of them made it! The hope to find the other kids was a great element, but actually finding them I thought didn't work. Add to that the kids fighting at the end which contrasts greatly in tone with the rest of the movie and well, you got the ending we have.

It should have stayed personal 'til the end, is what I'm saying. :redcapes:

I agree with everything you said. The company sure seemed to devote all of their resources to hunting Laura, despite there being ten other, presumably easier-to-catch, mutants out there. They should have just met up with the older kid and the "fat" kid, as he's the one you wouldn't expect to make it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Get rid of the kids and you don't have the fantastic scene where she bullies Wolverine into doing what she wanted by saying their names over and over again. What a fantastic scene that was in general.

If there is one gripe I have about this movie it was that Laura didn't talk enough.  A child actor conveying a lot without saying much is pretty impressive itself, but that scene in the car where Logan realizes she can talk was great and more scenes of Logan and Laura getting mad at each other would've been nice. :lol:

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I appreciated some of the goofy camp.

Like the way Boyd Holbrook gets taken out is 100% super campy but I dug it.

The 10+ second shot of the short fat kid running away got big laughs too.

I would have liked a 5-minute coda showing what happened once the kids crossed into Canada.

I AM SO GLAD I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT LAUGHED AT THAT

• Like 5

Liked it a lot, and I may even come to love it. For about the first half hour I was just bathing in the delight that a CBM like this exists, that they got away with it. All the Marvel and DCU bullshit will feel so much more tame and shallow after this. 

Jackman was brilliant, and it shouldn't be underestimated how difficult it is to keep such a dour performance compelling for over 2 hours. The R rating worked for this because Logan has an R rated personality. I also loved how palpable the violence was - at least at first. There's no sense of victory when he slaughters people, just destructive emptiness.

I could have done without the clone, admittedly. Works as a metaphor I guess, but felt a bit deus ex machina to suddenly appear that late in the story. Having Charles die in the middle of an intense action scene may have been a mistake too, but after so many good moments between him and Logan that's perhaps a nitpick. 

I dont know know how soon it'll be before I watch this again, but it's absolutely among the best of the genre. And no fucking obnoxious universe/sequel setup!

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

Reading more people's thoughts, it really is starting to bother me when/how Chuck dies. 

Also did I miss something, why did the farmer just keel over?

Pretty sure he got stabbed in the chest. Guy was a dead man walking.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Just heard a noise and he just collapsed. Felt really...really weird.

I think the point of that scene was that he intended to kill Logan too (he justvran out of bullets). It's a bleak moment, he in no way sees Logan as a hero.

8 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I disagree, one of the thematic points was her holding on to hope, which is exactly what the kids were: hope for future generations of mutants. 

Otherwise it's an even bleaker story: her essentially being the last mutant, doomed to violence and suffering. 

But she is doomed to violence and suffering in sequels or otherwise there's no point of making them, right? ;) So kids were unnecessary or at least they were unnecessary in their cardboard cutout form. if you can't/won't give new characters distinguishable personalities and palatable bond with the characters we know, there's no point. IMO, they should have cut the number of kids to maybe 4 tops. Keep the fat breakout hit, keep the older boy leader (the one that dropped the jeep on the clone) and 2 girls but not Miss Freeze and Miss Grass Grower cause awful, laughable powers, and have them bond with Laura and Logan before the shit hit the fan. otherwise, like the horse-loving family, they were just a plot device but did nothing to further the main characters development. 

Also, the last shot of them leaving Logan's grave in "who gives a shit manner" with Laura clearly wanting to stay longer hints at Laura not feeling the part of the group. Future loner? Please. I don't want the movie with those kids. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I think the point of that scene was that he intended to kill Logan too (he justvran out of bullets). It's a bleak moment, he in no way sees Logan as a hero.

Yeah, I got that feeling from the scene. Just felt really weird when he just falls over dead.

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Definitely. He figured out that guys who massacred his family were after Logan&his family who knew about the pursuit. Irony is, Logan didn't want to get them involved but Charles did because he wanted Logan to experience normal life and maybe abandon his death wish. "Logan, you still have time". But he didn't have time because he was broken ever since he had to kill Jean. They don't address it in the movie but anyone who watched X Men movies knows what really eats him. On top of adamentium poison (which implies Laura will be poisoned eventually).