FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Thet set the bar higher each time.

X-men Origins was "who cares about funny books?".

The Wolverine was "okay, I guess we can crack open a comic book".

Logan was "Holy shit! MCU is making how much? How do we take our superheroes to the next level?".

Nah, I'm pretty sure it was the Deadpool effect that made the studio let them do whatever they wanted with Logan as well.

Just now, Arlborn said:

Nah, I'm pretty sure it was the Deadpool effect that made the studio let them do whatever they wanted with Logan as well.

Yea I don't think it had anything to do with the MCU. Hugh Jackman said that seeing Ryan push for Deadpool the way he did, inspired him to do the same with the Logan. I feel like Logan was gonna be Hugh's last hurrah so they were gonna give them some freedom but then when Deadpool exploded the way it did, they handed the keys right over completely. 

I do think Fox has an edge now though because they've got that R-rated space all to themselves and the two movies they've released have made bank or are gonna make bank in the case of Logan. 

• Like 2

If it wasn't obvious before, it is obvious now: FOX will turn to R movies only in the superhero genre. Nobody else is doing it. Marvel doesn't need it. I am damn curious about what DC will do, tho.

• Like 11

This is pretty crazy considering tracking pointed to a $65M debut.

I'm so happy for Hugh Jackman. He really deserves to go out with a bang. And even the great reviews will hopefully help him to transition into more dramatic roles.

9 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Come on people, don't be so naive and basic, the world cannot be so black and white.

Studio interference is such a stupid expression to begin with.

Because yes, when studio executives wake up in the morning, their only goal is to bother & annoy filmmakers so they can release on 4000 screens crap films that will get terrible reviews.

That sounds like such a sound business plan.

Of course !

Blockbuster A was good : Director was amazing an had no studio interference. Yay !

Blockbuster B was Bad : It s all because of the suits ! Burn them ! Director couldn't put his vision on screen.

Shades of Grey, ever heard of them ?

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Yeah, Deadpool likely made Fox less hesitant about releasing an R-rated Wolverine movie.

Between the success of these two movies and the muted box office/reception for X-Men: Apocalypse last year, it wouldn't surprise me if they push more towards R-rated comic book movie side of the street for now on.

• Like 3

Just now, CJohn said:

If it wasn't obvious before, it is obvious now: FOX will turn to R movies only in the superhero genre. Nobody else is doing it. Marvel doesn't need it. I am damn curious about what DC will do, tho.

Yup I agree. I have a feeling they're going with the R-rated $100M budget super hero movies now. Marvel isn't touching that with a ten foot pole. They've got that space all to themselves and if executed correctly they can change the narrative of Fox having to give the X-men rights to Disney Marvel. I do believe Fox is headed in the right direction in terms of their super hero universe. I'm really excited to see how they move forward with everything. 

• Like 1

Lol, if you think Fox will produce Rated R 150-200m Blockbusters.

:lol:

The R rating works perfectly for Deadpool & Wolvie for different & specific reasons.

I am  not sure it could work for other characters and again, if they keep the R rating, they will have to be small scale, like Deadpoool & Logan are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Fox is in a very unique position in which they are getting excellent at the more unconventional productions like Deadpool, Logan and Legion. It's actually the more vanilla and mainstream stuff that it's harder for them to get right. It's just a matter of time, I guess.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

The R rating works perfectly for Deadpool & Wolvie for different & specific reasons.

I am  not sure it could work for other characters and again, if they keep the R rating, they will have to be small scale, like Deadpoool & Logan are.

Point 1: They already do with the Alien franchise.

Point 2: I never said they would be big scale, the Deadpool/X-Forces stuff can be made for rather cheap. 

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Just now, CJohn said:

Point 1: They already do with the Alien franchise.

Point 2: I never said they would be big scale, the Deadpool/X-Forces stuff can be made for rather cheap. 

Deadpool and X-force don't need $150-200 million budgets though. 

Alien is the limit budget wise for R Rated movies (around 130m) and Alien is the most popular monster of the last 40 years.

I have no idea what would be the point to have an X Men movie Rated R other than for Deadpool (Parody/Hangover type humor) & Wolvie (the guys s main weapon is claws, blood spills d'uh !)

Edited by The Futurist

14 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Deadpool and Logan's directors both had creative freedom.

Fox changed their approach earlier.

What an R Rating would bring to X-Force for example ?

Genuinely curious about the opinion from comic book guys as I know nothing of this property except  they are X-Men type guys and girls.

I don't think the R Rating is some sort of magic bullet for Marvel/Fox at all, it is not that simple IMO.

Edited by The Futurist