franfar

The Post | Ensemble Cast with Tom Hanks & Meryl Streep | Spielberg | Pentagon Papers Film....Dec 22 2017 | Trailer on p.11

19 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The Washington Post is fake news

I know you are joking, but this film is going to be seen as.....and maybe was intended to be...a slap in the face to the Trump administration, given that the subject matter..leaks about a scandal.....is playing out again on today's headlines. I suspect a lot of controversy with this one. Making a historical film to comment on current events is a standard technique.

i'll say it makes bridge of spies numbers because it's got a nice release, some stars and it should play through the awards season. which is great that's a bunch more than spotlight. "over lincoln" is just as bad of nonsense hypeman-ing as "the social network will make $200 million! it reflects the times so well!" (oh yes, i remember those posts)

• Like 2

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i'll say it makes bridge of spies numbers because it's got a nice release, some stars and it should play through the awards season. which is great that's a bunch more than spotlight. "over lincoln" is just as bad of nonsense hypeman-ing as "the social network will make $200 million! it reflects the times so well!" (oh yes, i remember those posts)

Well, this does reflect the times pretty well, it's got Hanks+Streep+The 'Berg, and it's going wide when the market is absolutely dead.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Well, this does reflect the times pretty well, it's got Hanks+Streep+The 'Berg, and it's going wide when the market is absolutely dead.

White Boy Rick has the potential to be a smaller adult hit, The Commuter could surprise, there's direct competition from Horse Soldiers the week after, and Proud Mary has sleeper potential.  not as dead as you think.  I think 65-70M is a good target for this.  I think it'll do 110M or so.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

All you have to do is watch the news this evening to get..unless you are completely ignorant of history....just how relevant to current events this film is going to be.

Worth noting that this film should be different enough from the script that's floating around online because it's reportedly been rewritten by Josh Singer, who won the oscar for spotlight. I already thought it was a little too similar to spotlight anyway so we'll see how that goes.

24 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Worth noting that this film should be different enough from the script that's floating around online because it's reportedly been rewritten by Josh Singer, who won the oscar for spotlight. I already thought it was a little too similar to spotlight anyway so we'll see how that goes.

I mean it's Spielberg vs McCarthy. This welhave loads more grandeur to it.

That said it probably won't be half as good as Spotlight

22 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is doing Lincoln numbers, maybe more. January has nothing and this will dominate until Fifty Shades.

Lincoln is at the top or very near of the list for revered US presidents and there hadn't been a theatrical film about him in a very long time. A movie about leaked documents from a dubious/corrupt administration could benefit from being topical...or depress people for seeming too much like the news.

On 08.06.2017 at 3:02 AM, CoolioD1 said:

As long as it's closer to Spotlight than to Fifth Estate