franfar

The Post | Ensemble Cast with Tom Hanks & Meryl Streep | Spielberg | Pentagon Papers Film....Dec 22 2017 | Trailer on p.11

12 hours ago, narniadis said:

What ever Bridge of Spies was it should duplicate, unless they can cut some interesting trailers to draw a younger crowd. It's a shame cause I am sure the film will be good. It doesn't sound like a film that needs a limited holiday release though - seems like it would leave a lot of $ on the table, but then I thought the same of Revenant.

I would say that this skews even older than Bridge of Spies. A newsroom drama doesn't seem like a movie that people would rush out to see. 

I'll use Sully as an example of a movie that's a bit dry. Apparently 57% of the people who saw it were over-50. I think this will be like 60% at least.

OTOH, an old audience and a winter release will give it superb legs.

• Like 3

Spielberg used to do movies for audiences (and it s been documented in books, he always had a copy of Variety in his hands in the 70's) now he does movies for himself and I just don't care much about the subject matter of his movies for the most part.

Just now, The Futurist said:

Spielberg used to do movies for audiences (and it s been documented in books, he always had a copy of Variety in his hands in the 70's) now he does movies for himself and I just don't care much about the subject matter of his movies for the most part.

Just bc you don't care about his movies doesn't mean they're only for himself. Learn something, would you?

1 minute ago, franfar said:

Just bc you don't care about his movies doesn't mean they're only for himself. Learn something, would you?

You re right, I forgot Spielberg is also an AMPAS whore, so he doesn't do these movies only for himself.

I have to admit that I am not overly interested in a lot of Steven Spielberg's movies now either. But I will always go see them because the man is an icon and the best director of all time in my opinion. He's earned my dollars.

• Like 6

All artists worth their salt do their work for themselves first. Spielberg made Jaws and Indiana Jones because he was interested in doing them, not because he thought "I don't give a shit about this, but I guess audiences want this, so sure, whatever." Same with other stuff from Schindler to War of the Worlds to Bridge of Spies. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

All artists worth their salt do their work for themselves first. Spielberg made Jaws and Indiana Jones because he was interested in doing them, not because he thought "I don't give a shit about this, but I guess audiences want this, so sure, whatever." Same with other stuff from Schindler to War of the Worlds to Bridge of Spies. 

I guess thats the difference between Him and some of the other directors lol....

I will say that I don't think you can not see his dedication - regardless if you are talking something big like Indy or something small like BoS

• Like 2

On 4/23/2017 at 3:51 PM, That One Guy said:

Lincoln is a terrible movie IMO, but I don't fault Spielberg at all for it, I just couldn't get interested in the subject matter.  I'll see anything he does, no mater what the circumstance.

Lincoln is brilliant in every aspect.  Acting, set design, score, etc....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Lincoln is brilliant in every aspect.  Acting, set design, score, etc....

Oh I won't deny that, but it just wasn't an interesting premise at all for me.  Not my kind of movie.

(although maybe it's due for a rewatch since I saw it a while ago)

• Like 2

Lincoln goes on for 15 minutes longer than it should and is further dragged down a little by Spielberg's typical shoved-in father-son drama with DDL and JGL, but all in all it's still one of his better works. Engaging and alive instead of stuffy and actually funny whenever it wants to be. Should have won Picture and Director if ZDT wasn't going to, and needless to say adapted screenplay. Tony Kushner is really the best thing that happened to Spielberg this century.

• Like 1

Started production. changed it's name from The Post to The Papers, also *deep breath* Sarah Paulson, Bob Odenkirk, Matthew Rhys, Bradley Whitford, Carrie Coon, Jesse Plemons, David Cross, Alison Brie, Bruce Greenwood, Tracy Letts, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Zach Woods have been added to the cast.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/steven-spielberg-pentagon-papers-movie-sarah-paulson-bob-odenkirk-matthew-rhys-1202454085/

That cast is insane!

• Like 5