Impact

Best supporting actor-2017

Patrick Stewart in Logan and Chris Pine in Wonder Woman have given the best supporting actor performances I've seen this year. Like I would not mind seeing either get nominated, Pine has already got snubbed for HoHW as it is. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Patrick Stewart in Logan and Chris Pine in Wonder Woman have given the best supporting actor performances I've seen this year. Like I would not mind seeing either get nominated, Pine has already got snubbed for HoHW as it is. 

Blockbuster supporting roles are snubbed too often. These were my favorite supporting roles so far as well even if I've only seen seven 2017 films total.

• Like 1

I think Stuhlbarg was better than Armie in Call Me By Your Name, so my take is that if either of them get a nom it'll be him. Dunno how often you get double nominations from the same film, but I feel like that might just end up splitting the votes.

Both were good though.

• Like 1

Stuhlbarg feels overdue for recognition. Him and Hammer broke out around the same time but he's older and has been fucking everywhere in character roles recently. I think he might even have a better chance of winning than Dafoe considering his movie will have a much bigger presence overall. I'd be happy for either of them, anyway. 

• Like 1

FWIW I have both Stuhlbarg and Hammer in this category right now (and Call Me by Your Name getting three acting noms since Lucas Hedges overcoming ageism last year makes me more confident in Chalamet's chances in lead). The former has the "overdue veteran" card with all the right clip moments but the latter also seems to be at a good spot in his career right now (young stud making a name in more prestige-y fare after appearing in a couple of Hollywood flops that failed to make him a leading man). The movie's looking to be a legit player so I wouldn't rule out the possibility he shows up on nomination morning based on the strength of his film even if the precursors snub him ala Tom Hardy two years ago (although SAG shouldn't be that difficult to get considering he's already a two-time nominee there, the first as part of The Social Network ensemble and the other that random J. Edgar nom).

55 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Really? Michael Stuhlbarg?

Criminally underlooked for his role in Doctor Strange©.

But yeah, don't think he has that particular narrative on his side. He's done good work but I've never really thought of him as overdue for an Oscar. 

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

he should've been nominated for A Serious Man for sure that was a weak year for the category. but yeah no one's lamenting Michael Stuhlbarg's lack of Oscars.

I can't even remember who could've been considered #6 in that race was (inclined to say it was DDL just because he is DDL but Nine was floptopia). Definitely a year where the pickings were unusually slim for the Best Actor category.

1. Michael Stuhlbarg, Call Me by Your Name

2. Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

3. Michael Shannon, The Shape of Water

4. Steve Carell, Last Flag Flying

5. Christoph Waltz, Downsizing

6. Laurence Fishburne, Last Flag Flying

7. Armie Hammer, Call Me by Your Name

8. Colin Farrell, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

9. Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

10. Mark Rylance, Dunkirk

Apparently all three leads of Last Flag Flying might be going Supporting (also, Carell will likely be campaigned in Supporting for Battle of the Sexes everywhere but the Globes, where he would be in Lead). That just gives a chance for all three to easily miss IMO.

http://variety.com/2017/film/in-contention/steve-carell-battle-of-the-sexes-last-flag-flying-oscars-1202569924/

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Apparently all three leads of Last Flag Flying might be going Supporting (also, Carell will likely be campaigned in Supporting for Battle of the Sexes everywhere but the Globes, where he would be in Lead). That just gives a chance for all three to easily miss IMO.

http://variety.com/2017/film/in-contention/steve-carell-battle-of-the-sexes-last-flag-flying-oscars-1202569924/

Kinda. The article does mention Amazon's considering supporting for all three, but does say "Cranston would get the leading tip," which I think is the most likely. Amazon has only been in the Oscar race for two years, but I doubt they would do something that ridiculous, especially with how weak Best Actor is this year, and Amazon might also campaign for Jim Belushi in Wonder Wheel, making four contenders a bit of a stretch.

Although if Carell is going supporting, then that means he's probably going to get the nomination over Fishburne (unless voters are split between him in LFF and Battle of the Sexes)