Impact

Best visual effects predictions-2017

My Predicts for now:

Blade Runner 2049 (Trailers alone are visually impressive. If the movie is nominated for Best Picture, its a lock in this category)

War for the Planet of the Apes (CGI keeps getting better with every movie)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (It's Star Wars)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (The last film was nominated and I think the visuals in this film were even more impressive)

Dunkirk (Iffy right now. Won't be shocked if it isn't nominated)

Other Potential Candidates:

Thor: Ragnarok (Looks good. Still need to see it to know if it outdoes Guardians)

Alien: Covenant (Utilized real sets and visual effects together. Prometheus was nominated in this category so won't be shocked if it is nominated)

Ghost in the Shell (Even though the film was bad, the visuals were absolutely stunning. Pretty much Ex Machina meets Blade Runner)

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Haven't seen it yet but it could be a contender)

Justice League (Will have to see)

On 5/8/2017 at 9:05 PM, filmlover said:

This is probably Blade Runner's to lose.

Nope.

This is Apes & Weta Digital to loose.

The fact they never won for the first 2 is a disgrace to the VFX branch.

The latest movie reches new highs in photo real rendering, subtle face & eye animations, intricate particle effects ( apes are constanlty wet or full of snowflakes) & uncanny compositing in real sets.

The Apes Trilogy is Weta Digital s most monumental achievment to date and they better be recognized at last.

:)

2 hours ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

prettu weak year 

Not if you count the films that flopped.

Ghost in the Shell

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

If those two had done better, they would've thrown a wrench in the talks. And hey, there's still a chance they'll make it to the ten-film shortlist. That always narrows it down pretty well.

Blade Runner 2049

Dunkirk

Shape of Water

Star Wars

War for the Planet of the Apes

I think Blade Runner wins it, its effects were really well executed and did a lot of clever things.  Most years nowadays the academy likes to award prestige films that execute their effects well.

I could see The Last Jedi or Apes pull a win too though.

I could also see Logan, Ragnarok or Wonder Woman sneak in over Shape of Water or Dunkirk due to their acclaim and being a hit.