grim22

Skyscraper | July 13 2018 | Legendary | Rawson Marshall Thurber directing. The Rock. China co-production, set in China.

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Well, let me explain.

1. Surrounded by Ant-Man and Alita (both of which I predict big numbers for), along with opening the same day as The Nun and having Mission Impossible 6 being released 2 weeks after.

2. Legendary's shoddy track record with non-franchise films in America.

My two main reasons why I don't think this'll do well.  If it were released in a part of the year with much less competition, then I wouldn't be so hesitant.

I think it's absurd to think a studio will automatically doom a movie, especially one with arguably the biggest viable star in the world (at the moment).

I think it's equally absurd to assume big numbers for ALITA, based on Rodriguez's CV to date.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

I think it's absurd to think a studio will automatically doom a movie, especially one with arguably the biggest viable star in the world (at the moment).

I think it's equally absurd to assume big numbers for ALITA, based on Rodriguez's CV to date.

I'm saying that the company does have a history of mishandling original domestic properties.  Yes, including ones with big stars (Damon in Great Wall, Bridges in Seventh Son, etc.).  While those definitely aren't bigger stars than The Rock, I am predicting it outgrosses those two films.  I just don't necessarily think it'll be a big hit.

I am assuming big numbers for Alita because 1. Cameron's credit as a producer could very well attract people in, and 2.  It'll be one of the only sci-fi films in the summer (discounting Bumblebee/Ant-Man/etc., or films that aren't directly sci-fi).  Fox is also clearly counting on this being a big hit, as it's one of their only tentpoles of the summer (the only other one they have is an untitled Fox/Marvel slot, which could very well move given that it's positioned only a week before Ant-Man).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm saying that the company does have a history of mishandling original domestic properties.  Yes, including ones with big stars (Damon in Great Wall, Bridges in Seventh Son, etc.).  While those definitely aren't bigger stars than The Rock, I am predicting it outgrosses those two films.  I just don't necessarily think it'll be a big hit.

I am assuming big numbers for Alita because 1. Cameron's credit as a producer could very well attract people in, and 2.  It'll be one of the only sci-fi films in the summer (discounting Bumblebee/Ant-Man/etc., or films that aren't directly sci-fi).  Fox is also clearly counting on this being a big hit, as it's one of their only tentpoles of the summer (the only other one they have is an untitled Fox/Marvel slot, which could very well move given that it's positioned only a week before Ant-Man).

Have you ever heard of a movie called Sanctum?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

These are really random comparisons. It's also worth pointing out that while it wasn't a huge hit, PACIFIC RIM crossed 100m domestically with no stars whatsoever. But even above and beyond that, pinning all this on Legendary is silly. This is a Universal release with a catchy tentpole-friendly premise and the world's biggest star.

ALITA is a non-factor.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

These are really random comparisons. It's also worth pointing out that while it wasn't a huge hit, PACIFIC RIM crossed 100m domestically with no stars whatsoever. But even above and beyond that, pinning all this on Legendary is silly. This is a Universal release with a catchy tentpole-friendly premise and the world's biggest star.

ALITA is a non-factor.

The world's biggest star who goes above and beyond to promote his movies.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Have you ever heard of a movie called Sanctum?

Yes, what about it?  That movie was from a first-time director, had little-to-no recognizable names, was not positioned as a tentpole, and was low-budget.  Alita is from an experienced director (although controversial, he has been able to produce many good/great films like Sin City, El Mariachi, and Planet Terror), has multiple recognizable names including Mahershala Ali and Christoph Waltz, is positioned as a major tentpole, and has a high budget of $200M.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yes, what about it?  That movie was from a first-time director, had little-to-no recognizable names, was not positioned as a tentpole, and was low-budget.  Alita is from an experienced director (although controversial, he has been able to produce many good/great films like Sin City, El Mariachi, and Planet Terror), has multiple recognizable names including Mahershala Ali and Christoph Waltz, is positioned as a major tentpole, and has a high budget of $200M.

James Cameron produced Sanctum. His name as a producer doesn't mean much.

6 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

ALITA is a non-factor.

This is clearly more of a Legendary film than a universal one, just judging by the setting and announcement of the film (it's literally set in China).  Pacific Rim crossed 100M cause of the internet hype machine, something that this movie might not have behind it.  I'm not denying that this could be a hit under the right circumstance (for one, give it a better less-crowded date), but in its current position, I see it as being more likely to get lost in the shuffle.

I agree that this premise is quite summer-audience friendly. It’s basically Die Hard meets The Towering Inferno, and it stars arguably the most charismatic, likeable action hero we have had in quite a while (not unlike Bruce Willis in his prime). I think Alita will take the fall, if anything. Now, had Cameron directed that, the story would be different...

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I'm well aware.

And yet you say Cameron's name as a producer will draw people in.

Granted, it will make more than Sanctum. But Alita sounds like a vain attempt to start a franchise. The name value of the Rock outweighs the name value of Alita.

24 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

This is clearly more of a Legendary film than a universal one, just judging by the setting and announcement of the film (it's literally set in China).  Pacific Rim crossed 100M cause of the internet hype machine, something that this movie might not have behind it.  I'm not denying that this could be a hit under the right circumstance (for one, give it a better less-crowded date), but in its current position, I see it as being more likely to get lost in the shuffle.

But this statement is basically meaningless. It's like saying one of the MI movies won't do well because the story takes place completely overseas. It's not being directed by a foreign director. It's being marketed and released by Universal.

It will have the full weight and marketing clout of a major studio behind it, along with (again) one of the friendliest and most happily aggressive stars when it comes to promotion. The quality of the movie is up in the air, but when you compare it to decent genre fare like SAN ANDREAS, it has more going for it than that Rock-starring vehicle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, baumer said:

The Rock in the summer in Towering Inferno in China?

45/125

You guys are crazy if you think it will flop.

I think it will flop because Legendary has a questionable track record with original IPs. Their greatest successes came from movies about established properties (Batman, Superman, 300, Godzilla, etc.). Rare exceptions to this are InceptionInterstellar, and The Hangover films. Maybe Krampus, but that's hard to tell.

It also depends on the budget. I could very well be wrong, but after Legendary's last China co-production and how it was supposedly troubled during development & filming, you'll have to forgive me for questioning its prospects.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

I guess I simply don't get the fascination of using studios or production companies for comps instead of actual talent involved. 

Let's put it this way: Are you more likely to be confident in an original Disney IP, or an original Paramount Ip?