Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

12 minutes ago, Noctis said:

She is getting $15m. It's pretty good. If she knew how much this was going to do, she could have gone for $30m. Do you think they might give her $20m instead of $15m?

She probably deserved $5m upfront and $15m+ potential in backend. This is my opinion but I think that's more than fair given the risk/reward.

Edited by GiantCALBears

Just now, CJohn said:

If people believe Emma Watson isn't the main cause this thing is doing 175M OW (yes, I fully believe it will go up 5M today from estimates) they are fooling themselves. Casting Emma Watson as Belle was one of the most genius decisions I have ever seen a studio make (and the funny part is that Disney only had to let the Del Toro version fall apart and ask Emma Watson if she wanted to do their version instead).

I read Del Toro also recommended Watson to Disney. But they'd had their eyes on her for a while, though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

She probably deserved $5m upfront and $15m+ in backend. This is my opinion but I think that's more than fair given the risk/reward.

She'll get the $15m in less than 10 days. I hope she gets paid $20m+ but I doubt it. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

If people believe Emma Watson isn't the main cause this thing is doing 175M OW (yes, I fully believe it will go up 5M today from estimates) they are fooling themselves. Casting Emma Watson as Belle was one of the most genius decisions I have ever seen a studio make (and the funny part is that Disney only had to let the Del Toro version fall apart and ask Emma Watson if she wanted to do their version instead).

Del Toro is too good for Disney. 

oHMdI1O.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

Why INCREDIBLE?

Not to me, unlike most on BOT I was expecting Kong to do well. The estimates were obviously lowballing as well. King Kong will always be a serious draw. 

Because it had a second weekend drop that was fairly good and there was a a film that opened  over 170 million dollars. That's why it's an incredible drop.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

You really do not understand this OW if you think any other default actress could've carried this to such a monster total. She did a ton of work crafting her image and then promoting the film not to mention what @Noctis said about how well she was casted. Her life and previous role as Hermione really made it a no brainer. That is worth a lot of money in the marketplace, it was an easy and safe choice to put the franchise in her hands.

You clearly ignored the part where I said casting matters. Just like RDJ is the perfect Ironman, Chris Evans is a perfect Captain america, Ryan Reynolds is a perfect Deadpool, Hugh Jackman is a perfect Wolverine, Jennifer Lawrence was perfect as Katniss and yes Emma Watson is the perfect Belle. However you're really just going to ignore the part where all these actors opened up films that are franchises. They have a built in fan base already. As I said of course the casting matters. The casting matters in any film though. But people aren't flocking to go see freaking emma Watson in BATB. You think a 4 or 5 year old who loves Belle even knows who the hell Watson is? Yes again the casting matters. But like i said before there's a reason why Emma Watson and other franchise actors aren't putting butts in seats outside of their franchise films. The exceptions could be Jlaw and RDJ from the list I mentioned above. But I won't get into the whole star power nonsense again. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Why is it so difficult for some people to understand that this is exactly what the audience wanted to see? A live action to-a-T re-telling of one of the most beloved fairy tales of all time! It is exactly what it is supposed to be and that's why the people are loving it and it's making so much money.

I'm honestly getting tired of people complaining about franchises and adaptations and stuff. This is a BUSINESS guys! You give the market what it wants and if there's one thing the market has been telling us loud and clear lately, it that people, namely the snake person demographic, want to see all their beloved properties on screen. It has nothing to do with Hollywood lacking originality. It has everything to do with what the market wants.

I'm not an idiot. All of this is obvious. Doesn't mean I have any obligation to like it.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Why is it so difficult for some people to understand that this is exactly what the audience wanted to see? A live action to-a-T re-telling of one of the most beloved fairy tales of all time! It is exactly what it is supposed to be and that's why the people are loving it and it's making so much money.

I'm honestly getting tired of people complaining about franchises and adaptations and stuff. This is a BUSINESS guys! You give the market what it wants and if there's one thing the market has been telling us loud and clear lately, it that people, namely the millennial demographic, want to see all their beloved properties on screen. It has nothing to do with Hollywood lacking originality. It has everything to do with what the market wants.

Agreed. Its one of the reasons id love to see a Jaws remake.

• Like 3

One of the most popular actresses on the planet in one of the most iconic roles of all time obviously played a huge role in BatB's success. Anyone who doubts that is seriously kidding themselves. Yes it still would have been massive without her, but her being involved maximised its potential. 

Also, this wouldn't have had the 5th biggest opening of all time and 2nd biggest Saturday in the UK if Emma Watson wasn't leading. No way. She may as well be a real princess here. Fuck Kate.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 5

I'm confident in saying that I think in the right role, Watson will continue to be a huge draw in large-budget fantasy or science-fiction films. But the girl is the princess of fantasy. She's forever endeared to audiences for playing Hermione Granger, and this role cements that people do love seeing her in a big-budget fantasy film.

• Like 6