Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

Taking Matrix4You's great list of Saturday increases/decreases from real Fridays and adding Beauty and the Beast to the list (with estimates), Beauty ended up having a terrific Saturday increase. It suggests that, while the film is clearly driven by a fan-base, it is also playing as a family film.

On 2017-03-18 at 0:11 AM, Matrix4You said:

PREVIEW #'S, REAL FRIDAY #'S, & SATURDAY INCREASES (anything over 25% for BATB would be unheard of)

(18.5) Jurassic World – 63.454 +9.75%

(57.0) Force Awakens – 62.119 +9.94%

(18.7) The Avengers – 62.114 +11.99%

(27.6) Age of Ultron – 56.825 -0.05%

(27.7) Batman V S – 53.859 -5.95%

(15.6) Iron Man 3 – 53.259 +16.9%

(15.8) Furious 7 – 51.607 -9.7%

(25.0) Civil War – 50.502 +21.21%

(10.0) Spider-man 3 – 49.842 +3.0%

(18.5) The Dark Knight – 48.665 -2.1%

(43.5) Harry Potter 8 – 47.571 -10.8%

(19.7) Hunger Games – 47.529 +6.0%

(16.3) Beauty and the Beast – 47.5 +32.0%

(26.3) Twilight 2 – 46.434 -8.9%

(25.3) Catching Fire – 45.690 +15.2%

(30.6) Dark Knight Rises – 45.155 -0.05%

(20.5) Suicide Squad – 44.393 -13.1%

(29.0) Rogue One – 42.094 +10.0%

(30.4) Twilight 4 – 41.393 -3.3%

(30.4) Twilight 5 – 40.768 +1.4%

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Josh Gad actually has fans? 12 of them??

Indeed.  Surprise!  

Granted most of them come from a Broadway background so we're talking folks who love people like Daveed Diggs and Rory O'Malley more than big name movie actors.  Most of them went to see Moana primarily because of Lin-Manuel Miranda and went to see Frozen because of Idina Menzel.

This is not a GA demographic, admittedly.  But there are plenty of insular communities who do find the presence of certain less mainstream actors to have a lot of appeal because they come from theatre.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

BaTB isn't a franchise film, though. LOL

And you severely underestimate Watson's popularity. Which girl doesn't know who she is? 

It's a Disney classic and part of the Disney Animation franchise. It has toys, rides, costumes etc. It may as well be a franchise film. 

But Watson is so popular that The Circle is gonna open to $50M OW. It's all but confirmed now right. 

5 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Don't really get the issue with @Jake Gittes position. Sure, it's a business but I don't see why we have to sit down and congratulate a multi-billion dollar conglomerate just for succeeding again. Nothing wrong with wanting more.

Yeah the infatuation with studios (as part of huge multi national corporations) is definitely one of the weirder parts of box office forums in general. We should want good movies, not much else needs to be said.

• Like 2

Just now, Nova said:

It's a Disney classic and part of the Disney Animation franchise. It has toys, rides, costumes etc. It may as well be a franchise film. 

But Watson is so popular that The Circle is gonna open to $50M OW. It's all but confirmed now right. 

No one is saying BATB itself doesn't drive the gross, we are saying a default actress other than EW probably doesn't deliver the same level of performance.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Lily James in Cinderella > Emma Watson in B&tB. 

This made me appreciate Cinderella a lot more (and I already liked it a lot).

Branagh took the original story (which is much weaker than that of Beauty and the Beast) and filled in all the gaps so that all the iconic scenes that everyone comes for have greater emotional resonance. Branagh realised that, with the original movie, they only really had the skeleton of a good live-action movie - a lot of work needed to be done to flesh it out. We have a much more rounded Cinderella and we actually understand why she acts as she does; we know why the step-mother is so awful but we're not at all supposed to sympathise with her (a very tricky balance); Kit and Ella have terrific chemistry and are truly on equal footing (compared to the original where they never even talk). It really improves on the Disney classic.

With Beauty, they could have fleshed out the love story much more. In the animated movie the 'falling in love' montage works fine but that shift in the new movie is just jarring. There's no real use in praising the songs or lyrics because they've been around for 25 years and were performed a lot better then, too. The movie is 40 minutes longer than the original and yet so many people take issue with how little it actually offers on its own terms - what actually happened in those 40 minutes? Nothing of significance, clearly, as the movie lacks any of the emotional kick of the original.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Don't be an idiot. That movie is getting dumped and Watson is going to be like Johansson/Jolie where they excel in attracting interest in certain genres. Jolie/Johansson do very well in action roles, and Watson will do well in fantasy/sci-fi. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That just reminded me: Emma Watson is probably locked for a Golden Globe nomination now in the Musical/Comedy category. After all, they did just nominate Lily Collins for a film that literally no one saw.

It depends, it's pretty early in the year and the Globes have taken a turn away from all out populist blockbusters compared to, say, 2010. As for the Collins nomination, it was Warren Beatty's return to movies after god knows how long, plus on AwardsWatch they always joke Lily Collins' mother is a big Hollywood socialite and friendly with a lot of other executive wives there. No matter how much prestige they claim to have, the HFPA is always susceptible to a good schmooze. Just this year Tom Ford gave them cologne and watches and they were all over Nocturnal Animals.

26 minutes ago, Harley said:

Nobody is saying that. It can't be denied she had some affect. From Deadline:

A third of all moviegoers called out Emma Watson as the prime reason for attending. RelishMix reports that Watson is the film’s biggest social media activator with more than 83M followers across Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, and she’s continually sharing materials.

Fake news lolz! Biased polls! But really, take away a third of the OW and it's still huge, over $110M, well above Cinderella and Maleficent, but it's clear that even so, BatB has...something more. Hmmm, what could it be? If the live-action Little Mermaid happens, the comparison to 2017 BatB will be very interesting, it's also a classic from that period, iconic songs, Ariel spiked in popularity as a name because of the movie, but it's much trickier to pull off on many fronts.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

Just now, ddddeeee said:

This made me appreciate Cinderella a lot more (and I already liked it a lot).

Branagh took the original story (which is much weaker than that of Beauty and the Beast) and filled in all the gaps so that all the iconic scenes that everyone comes for have greater emotional resonance. Branagh realised that, with the original movie, they only really had the skeleton of a good live-action movie - a lot of work needed to be done to flesh it out. We have a much more rounded Cinderella and we actually understand why she acts as she does; we know why the step-mother is so awful but we're not at all supposed to sympathise with her (a very tricky balance); Kit and Ella have terrific chemistry and are truly on equal footing (compared to the original where they never even talk). It really improves on the Disney classic.

With Beauty, they could have fleshed out the love story much more. In the animated movie the 'falling in love' montage works fine but that shift in the new movie is just jarring. There's no real use in praising the songs or lyrics because they've been around for 25 years and were performed a lot better then, too. The movie is 40 minutes longer than the original and yet so many people take issue with how little it actually offers on its own terms - what actually happened in those 40 minutes? Nothing of significance, clearly, as the movie lacks any of the emotional kick of the original.

Great post. I really would have liked to see what a Kenneth Branagh version of BatB would be like. I think he's a much better filmmaker than Bill Condon.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Agreed. Its one of the reasons id love to see a Jaws remake.

But would you love to see one that simply recreates all of the original's iconic scenes, more or less shot-for-shot, using the same music and even lines? Or one that at least tries to be creative and come up with something cool on its own? As someone else who fucking loves Jaws, I wouldn't be inherently opposed to the latter type of remake. But I'd have zero patience with the former. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

No, because it's not just the actress but the role they play. Emma Watson's Belle will resonate with millions around the world more than a nobody would have because she fits the role perfectly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Eh he wasn't particularity a good thing about the film either.  I was surprised he was such a dull Johnny Storm.  But he wasn't alone, there wasn't one engaging performance in a group of talented actors and that has to come down to the director and the script.

That's because his character in Chronicle was more Johnny Storm than his actual Johnny Storm. Probably didn't help that his Chronicle character got killed off, and Trank basically put a F4 skin over his Chronicle 2 ideas.

Edited by Orestes

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

But would you love to see one that simply recreates all of the original's iconic scenes, more or less shot-for-shot, using the same music and even lines? Or one that at least tries to be creative and come up with something cool on its own? As someone else who fucking loves Jaws, I wouldn't be inherently opposed to the latter type of remake. But I'd have zero patience with the former. 

Well, yeah... Couldn't agree more. Big box office is still fun. I knew Del Toro's Beast fell through folks like you and I were out of luck. 

We'll always have Cocteau's take from '46. Easily the most compelling.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Well, we have a few butt-hurt bitches complaining, but that's freedom of speech for you. I just really hope @Jake Gitteshas it in his heart to be able to move on from this traumatizing experience that has destroyed all hope within him. If you need to vent and can't afford a therapist, you can always PM me. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1