Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

22 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I thought Dan Stevens was the draw?

He was for me, but I'm well aware I'm in the minority on that.

tumblr_nfmcrhkGwU1stbibso1_500.gif

Honestly though, I do think Emma Watson was a big draw here. Not as big as the love for the original animation and nostalgia for it, obviously, but still.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Melvin Frohike said:

This is obscene, and I mean that in the worst possible way. :sick:  There will be more of this crap to come from Disney for sure. :sadno:

Yeah, and that's so good :) I can't wait for Mulan in November 2018 :shades:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Well, yeah... Couldn't agree more. Big box office is still fun. I knew Del Toro's Beast fell through folks like you and I were out of luck. 

We'll always have Cocteau's take from '46. Easily the most compelling.

I liked the Cocteau but my favorite is this 1978 one. Raw, muddy, fogbound, everything has a real feel and texture to it, it's like Beauty and the Beast in the world of Polanski's Macbeth or, I dunno, Monty Python and the Holy Grail minus the jokes. Amazing atmosphere. Also the only adaptation I've seen that has the guts to make the Beast truly hideous.

Edited by Jake Gittes

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

There's one good moment early on when he's human and in some shots he has that psychotic look in his eyes like he's still playing the guy from The Guest. The movie peaked right there. 

The movie peaked at Kevin Kline's first scene.

31 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

But would you love to see one that simply recreates all of the original's iconic scenes, more or less shot-for-shot, using the same music and even lines? Or one that at least tries to be creative and come up with something cool on its own? As someone else who fucking loves Jaws, I wouldn't be inherently opposed to the latter type of remake. But I'd have zero patience with the former. 

I don't really know but I would be interested in. I would like to see someone take on the film and do whatever they want with it. It doesn't mean that I'm going to like it but at the same time it would also introduce a whole generation of fans to the original film and got all by itself is worth getting the Remake done.

• Like 2

According to this article, BATB cost 300 million to make. I guess that number includes marketing/promotion.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/193312-Beauty-and-the-Beast-smashes-box-office-records

I don't know if it's true, but it seems to be the case. Kong had a budget of 185 million and 100 million or something to promote. 

6 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

According to this article, BATB cost 300 million to make. I guess that number includes marketing/promotion.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/193312-Beauty-and-the-Beast-smashes-box-office-records

I don't know if it's true, but it seems to be the case. Kong had a budget of 185 million and 100 million or something to promote. 

Wikipedia says 160m, so marketing should be 140m (assuming that article is true)

Edited by franfar

Amazing number for BATB, It has a chance to make $500 but at the momento I think that $450 is where it's headed.

Nice drop for Kong (even if it's overestimated on sunday), It could make $160 or more which is ok for this movie. 

I don't think Emma Watson was that great. It would have been better with an unknown. She acts too much like Hermoine. 

As for the little mermaid. I think they should make sure the person can sing. 

Just incredible for BATB.  A lot of us thought this was coming but still to pull it off is a different thing.

Another thing, I am definitely not thinking an opening like this is guaranteed for TLK. It's certainly the more popular property of the two, and maybe final gross wise it can match this, but this film was unique in a lot of ways.  There was star power here, Watson, in this role, got people in seats.  People can deny it but it's true.  It would have been big either way.  It would not have been 170 big.  Also, this was an event film.  There hadn't been a family hit since the holidays and none of those felt like must see (a lot of 250 million grossers, respectable but not event 4 quadrant films).  This to me was just the perfect storm.  Reminds me a lot of Avengers in a way, where at a point interest peaks and you can have a LOT of success afterwards but there is a ceiling.  I think, OW wise, this is the ceiling for a Disney live action remake.  Time will tell but I think everyone who assumes that because this was a monster TLK a will hit 190-200.  Remember how rare that air is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

I don't think Emma Watson was that great. It would have been better with an unknown. She acts too much like Hermoine. 

As for the little mermaid. I think they should make sure the person can sing. 

Make it happen Disney

aWXSbxT.jpg

• Like 2

It's true. If someone fits a beloved character very well, it will generate more interest.

But put Emma Watson in a completely original, fantasy tent pole where she falls in love with a random monster.

That shit ain't making 50 m OW let alot 170 m.

I think there's enough precedent that nostalgia is a thousand times more effective at selling tickets than star power.

Yes, casting matters. RDJ helped MCU immensely.

But Iron Man was a C-list property. Beauty and the Beast absolutely was not.

BatB is one of the most beloved animated films of the last 50 years, the very definition of a cultural phenomenon.

A plastic spoon could've played Belle and you're still looking at over 125 m OW.

Sorry Potter fanboys and girls. She gave the movie a nice bump but lets not get carried away.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 5