Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

27 minutes ago, cmbbox2390 said:

Hey I'm curious to see where you guys think the top five films will end domestic box office. I'm thinking...

Beauty and the Beast - $479mil

Kong: Skull Island - $187m

Logan - $224m

Get Out - $178m

The Shack - $64mil

$500M should be pretty much locked now unless you expect it to fall off the face of the Earth this weekend.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MrMarosa said:

There is no guarantees it will make 500 million. CA:CW opened higher and with MUCH better reviews, and still could not do it.

It also had shitty legs and a story that was only accessible if you had seen at minimum 6 or so other movies, with a mainly fanboy driven audience.  

Beauty is a different kind of Beast.

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Umm.....bad or good? :thinking:

Not what a lot of us expected, but it's a drop along the lines of THE JUNGLE BOOK on its first Monday. A little softer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

It also had shitty legs and a story that was only accessible if you had seen at minimum 6 or so other movies, with a mainly fanboy driven audience.  

Beauty is a different kind of Beast.

Yeah...with a mainly fangirl-driven audience (if that is a bad thing for CW it is a bad thing for BATB, right?). You cant act as if a superhero film that makes a billion dollars is just fanboy driven, but then use a different and convenient criteria when ita a film you like.

54 minutes ago, MrMarosa said:

Yeah...with a mainly fangirl-driven audience (if that is a bad thing for CW it is a bad thing for BATB, right?). You cant act as if a superhero film that makes a billion dollars is just fanboy driven, but then use a different and convenient criteria when ita a film you like.

The difference is not there.The difference is that BaTB is a family movie and acts like it and CW was a superhero film amd acted like one.This means that BaTB will show better holds.Even the internal multy from their OW hints to that.

• Like 6

Going into the weekend,if it contibues performing like TJB(which i highly doubt but it's nice dreaming) it should bring in ~102M(no way...i believe 85-90M is where it ends).It would be insane if this is close to 320M by Sunday.

In any case,with Easter coming up this BO run should be a real beauty to behold.

58 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Weird, on Saturday everyone kept saying Beast was more like a YA film with such upfront hype and demand.

Understandable given the previews to OD ratio but then the Saturday number came in and changed the picture a bit. The beauty of box office - things change on a daily basis. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zackzack said:

How would they do The Lion King live-action? Jungle Book style with no human actor? Tougher to sell than the animated version

It's not going to actually be live-action. Just a lot of CGI, with maybe a few real environments.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Weird, on Saturday everyone kept saying Beast was more like a YA film with such upfront hype and demand.

It's a weird hybrid, kind of like Sorceror's Stone (only that movie is to far back and in a to different of a timeframe to compare).

I'd expect it to play similarly to TJB.

14 hours ago, YourMother said:

You said that last year.

You say that as if this year refutes what I said last year, LOL. Disney is on a hot streak right now, and it could come to an end at any time. 

Just watch, this stuff is cyclical. Remember when Sony was #1? I do.