Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

4 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

You say that as if this year refutes what I said last year, LOL. Disney is on a hot streak right now, and it could come to an end at any time. 

Just watch, this stuff is cyclical. Remember when Sony was #1? I do. 

Disney's dominance at the box office isn't going to come to an end within this century. Look at the number of billion dollar franchises they have as well as potential sequels to those said franchises. In fact I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that Disney might end up buying out one of the other major movie studios or parent company in the future.

Edited by DMan7

12 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

You say that as if this year refutes what I said last year, LOL. Disney is on a hot streak right now, and it could come to an end at any time. 

Just watch, this stuff is cyclical. Remember when Sony was #1? I do. 

However superheroes, Pixar, Star Wars, Disney Animation, and live action remakes have cemented themselves with moviegoers. Will the MCU and Star Wars be weaker in 10 years? Yes, but they'll continue to make money. Disney has brand names unlike Sony and Paramount at their peaks, they have Disney World and Disneyland. Disney has been around for over 70 years with franchises galore, if one fails they have a library big enough to make more. In the past 7 years, Iron Man and the Avengers has become on the level of Superman/Batman/Spider-Man. A movie with Chris Pratt, a Pokémon tree, and a CGI raccoon made almost $800M, Pixar's lowest grossing film did over $300M and it's still a household name, Star Wars is the American icon, WDAS has had a revival, and while Disney remakes will become a fad, they still make bank. Nothing lasts forever but Disney should last for at least 10-20 years.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's not going to actually be live-action. Just a lot of CGI, with maybe a few real environments.

Jungle Book is practically a CGI fest, an animated feature. Lion King is even more so then.

3 hours ago, DMan7 said:

Disney's dominance at the box office isn't going to come to an end within this century. Look at the number of billion dollar franchises they have as well as potential sequels to those said franchises. In fact I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that Disney might end up buying out one of the other major movie studios or parent company in the future.

Century is a long time.  That's more than 80 years down the road.  Things change year over year.  You can't possibly know what studio will be dominating in 10 years let alone 80.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Century is a long time.  That's more than 80 years down the road.  Things change year over year.  You can't possibly know what studio will be dominating in 10 years let alone 80.

Well lets make a bet then? 2099 Disney will still be dominating. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, DMan7 said:

Well lets make a bet then? 2099 Disney will still be dominating. :ph34r:

I'll bet you a trillion dollars that you are wrong. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DMan7 said:

You must be very young. Remember, just 15 years ago, Microsoft was so profitable and powerful that everyone said it had to be broken up otherwise it would monopolize the global economy. Then Apple revived itself and Google came along.  MS is still a very profitable company, but nobody talks about it owning the world anymore. A generation before that, folks worried about GM and IBM dominating forever, laughable ideas these days. 

Just within Disney itself, only 3-4 years ago folks were marveling at the never-ending money-machine that was ESPN, and predicted it would spin massive amounts of gold forever. Now, with ESPN revenues falling due to streaming and cord-cutting, many are wondering if Disney should divest itself of this former Goose that Lays the Golden Eggs.

Nothing lasts forever, and movies are especially volatile.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if another studio takes the DOM crown away from Disney within the next three years, maybe even this year.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

I think Disney is good for the next few years.  I also think they'll easily stay profitable in the long run, as they have the IPS and infrastructure to do it.

However we'll see if they remain this on top after 2019 (when TA and SW will both be at the end of a cycle).

7 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

You must be very young. Remember, just 15 years ago, Microsoft was so profitable and powerful that everyone said it had to be broken up otherwise it would monopolize the global economy. Then Apple revived itself and Google came along.  MS is still a very profitable company, but nobody talks about it owning the world anymore. A generation before that, folks worried about GM and IBM dominating forever, laughable ideas these days. 

Just within Disney itself, only 3-4 years ago folks were marveling at the never-ending money-machine that was ESPN, and predicted it would spin massive amounts of gold forever. Now, with ESPN revenues falling due to streaming and cord-cutting, many are wondering if Disney should divest itself of this former Goose that Lays the Golden Eggs.

Nothing lasts forever, and movies are especially volatile.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if another studio takes the DOM crown away from Disney within the next three years, maybe even this year.

And just like that you jinxed your WB club over Disney. But Disney obviously won't be as strong in 2030 as it was in 2016.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I'll bet you a trillion dollars that you are wrong. :)

1 hour ago, DMan7 said:

I'll bet you a quadrillion dollars you are wrong! :)

You guys should both just accept. You'll both be dead by then anyways :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Nova said:

You guys should both just accept. You'll both be dead by then anyways :ph34r:

I think that's the point.  :redcapes:

• Like 5

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but boxoffice.com's OW prediction from last Wed. was spot on:

Beauty and the Beast Disney $175,000,000 $175,000,000 NEW
Edited by franfar
  • Like 6

Box office acumen...so sad not to have it. :( I bet that is a highly marketable skill that tons of high-paying employers seek out. Anyway, good luck with your job search, Mr. Mod...your skills at predicting the BO for crappy blockbusters on an internet message board makes you special. :D

14 minutes ago, MrMarosa said:

Box office acumen...so sad not to have it. :( I bet that is a highly marketable skill that tons of high-paying employers seek out. Anyway, good luck with your job search, Mr. Mod...your skills at predicting the BO for crappy blockbusters on an internet message board makes you special. :D

And you're a troll. Most of us here have a job/are in school.