Grade It:  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The final 20 minutes are fun... and that is it. It is a very boring movie, with bad acting, terrible CGI and exposition dump galore. Why do they know Rita Repulsa takes exactly 11 days to arrive? No idea. How do they get home after crashing against a train? No clue. How does the black kid know exactly where to find the green crystals? Nobody knows. The movie doesn't explain any of this. The plot needs it so they do it.

There is a prologue with Alien Cranston full of makeup which is unintentionally funny. 

Also, the mid credits scene is not worth it.

• Like 1

Absolute dreck. I was actually really enjoying the first half hour or so, but once the CGI face of Bryan Cranston appears, it's alllllllll downhill from there. I laughed hard every time Elizabeth Banks appeared on screen. Just awful. 4/10 | D

• Like 1

It was meh to me, on one hand the PR fanboy/8 year old in me loved every minute of seeing the Rangers in action, the most of the main characters were very likeable and had some depth and the first half hour was really good, However the plot holes were so glaring, Banks was cringey along with product placement galore, and the film got really boring quick and really could have been better

6.5/10 | D+/C-

• Like 1

Disagree with CJohn completely. I gotta say, the last 20 minutes were what nearly put me to sleep. It was as though the writers were like "okay... so they morphed, now what? Meh, we're gonna go get a coffee and let the special effects guys write the rest of the movie."

First hour or so was surprisingly good! I cared about the characters, the situations were interesting; I was invested.

Overall, it's nothing to write home about. The leads have potentially bright careers ahead of them, and Isrealite is a capable director who I think has made 2 competent films now.

6.5/10

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 2:27 AM, DAJK said:

Disagree with CJohn completely. I gotta say, the last 20 minutes were what nearly put me to sleep. It was as though the writers were like "okay... so they morphed, now what? Meh, we're gonna go get a coffee and let the special effects guys write the rest of the movie."

^  Hating this trend of letting everything come to a CGI spectacle stop, especially when previous fights in this movie were clear to view, easy to understand, and entertaining.

Well, it gave me more character than Skull Island, that's for damn sure. It just felt inconsistent and boring. Zack, Jason and Billy were good, but Trini was a lazy 'moving kid' stereotype (that 'Oh she's gay' scene? It toed the line of a wry joke so much, it wasn't clear, how is anyone calling that representation).

I didn't get Kimberly at all;

Spoiler

If you send a nude photo of SOMEONE ELSE to a third party, of course they're going to dislike you? When the rocks drop on them and she goes "That's what you get" - sounds like YOU started it, girl. She feels bad for it and repents but they don't know that, they've got every right to be pissed at you!

The kids acted well. Banks as Rita, honestly, I'd rather have a sequel seeing how she came to power than anything else. Really nice score and song choices, most of the technicals are very good, hated the random zoom ins of jumping characters at points.

If I were in a generous mood, I'd pick this up on 5$ blu ray in seven years. Solid B-.

• Like 2

Super bland / boring. Wasn't interested in any of the characters or the story. As DAJK said the last 20 minutes almost made me nod off. I actually strongly considered walking out at that point because I realised the CGI  fighting was going to be this mind-numbingly dull for the rest of the film.

It lost all the campiness of the show and completely failed to turn it into a young adult / superhero / whatever franchise. It's not as bad as something like Transformers but at least with Transformers it actually sparks some sort of reaction in me, this is just very boring.

Elizabeth Banks was mildly amusing and that was it. Also... wtf with the product placement? When was the last time a named product became the core plot point of a major movie?

Edited by Manchester by the Tree

Power Rangers is perfectly watchable. That's probably the best compliment one can give it. The brief minute of actual Ranger action is great; too bad the rest of the movie is cliche teen drama and mind-numbing robot fights. It's all shot with the most useless shaky cam in recent memory and with a gross color palette to match it. Pleasantly, the girl rangers steal the show, probably thanks to their characters being the only compelling ones. Cyler is also good as an autistic Ranger, bringing humor and a surprising heart to the film. Banks and Cranston both know exactly what kind of movie they're in, and ham it accordingly. Unfortunately though, Power Rangers is forgettable thanks to a lack of inspired direction, a boring script, and a fear of totally embracing the cheesiness of its source material. D

On 4/26/2017 at 6:58 PM, Blankments said:

Power Rangers is perfectly watchable. That's probably the best compliment one can give it. The brief minute of actual Ranger action is great; too bad the rest of the movie is cliche teen drama and mind-numbing robot fights. It's all shot with the most useless shaky cam in recent memory and with a gross color palette to match it. Pleasantly, the girl rangers steal the show, probably thanks to their characters being the only compelling ones. Cyler is also good as an autistic Ranger, bringing humor and a surprising heart to the film. Banks and Cranston both know exactly what kind of movie they're in, and ham it accordingly. Unfortunately though, Power Rangers is forgettable thanks to a lack of inspired direction, a boring script, and a fear of totally embracing the cheesiness of its source material. D

I think I feel almost the opposite opinion of the movie, I thought the first half was the best part of the movie, the final battle was really standard Blockbuster fair and one of the most boring parts of the movie, what I felt that most of the characters were pretty well rounded, however I felt the female rangers had the least depth and were the worst actors. (thou not as bad as Banks was, but she did make me laugh from her ridiculousness at least. 

There were several surprising moments with heart I didn't expect and I was really impressed with Red Ranger boy, best actor in the movie and most developed character, hope the kid goes somewhere, Blue Ranger was also very likeable and good actor too. and thier character dynamic pretty much sold the movie for me. 

So in the end, I thought it was better than any movie with the name "Power Rangers" has a right to be, and I'm kind of sad there won't be a sequel.  B+ 

Product placement usually doesn't bother me but Krispy Kreme myswell have been a sixth ranger in Chronicle Formers. Like, Elizabeth Banks even eats a damn donut in the middle of all the explosions during the climax. Anyway, this reboot had some decent ideas but needed a lot of rewrites. The majority of the long runtime is spent on the Rangers origin...but the problem is it's not done authentically and comes off really dull. The actual suits only show up for the big CGI finale and that whole showdown feels a lot slower then it should because none of it carries much weight. This is a film that's so cheesy that "Kanye West - Power" blares over that set piece and then closes out with a remix of "Snap - The Power". - C-

• Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 6:39 PM, thisguy1986 said:

When Jason says "It's not that kind of van" then Kimberly says "Every van is that kind of van" what does that mean?

Pretty sure she was referring to vans used for kidnapping, rape, etc. Like as children, we are warned to stay away from strangers in white vans with candy. It was a stupid line.