FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

Just now, filmlover said:

Did anyone really expect a sci-fi movie with an extremely derivative marketing campaign starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds, two stars with the most inconsistent box office track records around, to make big bucks, though? Even Sony probably decided to move it out of summer altogether because they realized they didn't have a blockbuster on their hands.

It was moved out of the summer because of Alien. Its original date was always the 24th of March. 

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

So if Power Rangers is a success, can we expect a Rangers cinematic universe, now? I want gritty reboots of VR Troopers, Big Bad Beetleborgs, and Mystic Knights Tir Na Nog, at least. 

Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills or riot

2 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills or riot

Lol, I thought I was the only person on here who knew about that show's existence.

Heck, while we're at it, why not make a Kamen Rider film? 

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Did anyone really expect a sci-fi movie with an extremely derivative marketing campaign starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds, two stars with the most inconsistent box office track records around, to make big bucks, though? Even Sony probably decided to move it out of summer altogether because they realized they didn't have a blockbuster on their hands.

Jake Gyllenhaal had like 7 success in a row at the box office between Prince of Persia and Demolition

780 million world box office from an estimated 226.5 million total production budget. He had an extremelly good run at the moment he got cast on that movie.

I think people involved considered it as a risky affair, that why it is a co-production to split the risk, if it is a 50/50 financing deal with Ellison, that a 29 million expense to produce the movie for Sony, a smart risk imo. Over 15 would be good for Life, but low 10's would be a bad start.

I didn't saw the movie, so maybe you can see how they saved money, but 58 sound like such a good number that I wonder if it is not Sony part of the financement that is circulating around. Reynolds was officially cast the week after Deadpool first weekend after all, how cheap could he be.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Lol, I thought I was the only person on here who knew about that show's existence.

Heck, while we're at it, why not make a Kamen Rider film? 

Honestly I only know about it thanks to DBZ Abridged.

And that'd be super fun

45 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

it cost 100,000,000 to make

Seems to be heading for $250M-$350M Worldwide, however whether this becomes a full fledged franchise is how the sequel will perform.

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a low to mid 20s weekend considering the kind of push it got. 

I know Gyllenhaal is not some giant star, but we have to consider that he also typically avoids general audience films so his box office takes generally reflect that. The marketing campaign was damn derivative, but damn, Sony sure seemed to blanket my tv with commercials

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robertman2 said:

Honestly I only know about it thanks to DBZ Abridged.

And that'd be super fun

Heh, heh, yeah, honestly I couldn't believe that such a show actually existed at one point. It sounded like a parody or something.

And yeah a Kamen Rider film could be fun.

• Like 1

I was hoping Life would match Secret Window's 18M opening weekend.  Life is Ryan Reynold's follow up to Deadpool like Secret Window was Depp's follow up to Pirates.  With 0.8, it looks on track for 12-15M, but lets hope it is more back-loaded then recent horror examples (Rings, Ouija 2, Blair Witch, Resident Evil).

Just now, Matrix4You said:

I was hoping Life would match Secret Window's 18M opening weekend.  Life is Ryan Reynold's follow up to Deadpool like Secret Window was Depp's follow up to Pirates.  With 0.8, it looks on track for 12-15M, but lets hope it is more back-loaded then recent horror examples (Rings, Ouija 2, Blair Witch, Resident Evil).

Horror movies are way more front loaded than a typical film. 

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Jake Gyllenhaal had like 7 success in a row at the box office between Prince of Persia and Demolition

780 million world box office from an estimated 226.5 million total production budget. He had an extremelly good run at the moment he got cast on that movie.

I think people involved considered it as a risky affair, that why it is a co-production to split the risk, if it is a 50/50 financing deal with Ellison, that a 29 million expense to produce the movie for Sony, a smart risk imo. Over 15 would be good for Life, but low 10's would be a bad start.

I didn't saw the movie, so maybe you can see how they saved money, but 58 sound like such a good number that I wonder if it is not Sony part of the financement that is circulating around. Reynolds was officially cast the week after Deadpool first weekend after all, how cheap could he be.

Reynolds has zero box office clout. He's also not the lead in the film. The only movies in which he can ask for a big check are the Deadpool films but even then his deals are probably more backend deals when it comes to those films.  

I dont think anyone was expecting blockbuster numbers but damn an OW in the 20-25M range wasn't asking for much.