baumer

New spoiler policy that pertains to a movie in its first two weeks

Just now, Brainbug said:

General opinions abput a movie are still allowed or? So something like "X was very good. Coud have used a better pacing though" is ok?

No, that's not allowed it seems. You can talk about a year old trailer, stupid off topic things, and numbers...that's it.

I think you should still allow spoilers in spoiler tags in the main thread for a movie in the box office sub forum. The big no-no should be the weekend thread and the classic conversation thread. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

I'm a little concerned here. So if I'm interested in some aspect of a film before I see it I have to go to the RTM thread and be totally spoiled? Because there you don't have to use spoiler tags. This wasn't really that we'll thought out. 

I'm confused at your confusion.  You're over thinking this.

You do realize that when a spoiler tag is used, its because there is a detail of the plot, right?

Spoiler

Darth Vader is Luke's father.

This is a massive spoiler.  This is the kind of thing that you can't put spoiler tags on in the first week.  So if you want to be spoiled, go to the RTM.  We are just shifting all tagged spoilers to the RTM.  

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

General opinions abput a movie are still allowed or? So something like "X was very good. Coud have used a better pacing though" is ok?

Of course.....general opinions that do not discuss the plot are allowed.  Nothing has changed except you can no longer, for the first week, discuss the plot of a film THAT YOU HAVE SEEN in any thread except for the RTM.  Spoilers have no place here.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I think you should still allow spoilers in spoiler tags in the main thread for a movie in the box office sub forum. The big no-no should be the weekend thread and the classic conversation thread. 

For the time being, we're eliminating this option.  Too many times, films have been spoiled accidentally so now we are eliminating all potential threats. 

There really isn't anything that has changed here except where you can discuss the points of the movie after you have seen it.

So why have individual threads in the first place? Might as well lock them up upon release date since nothing can be discussed in them once the release date hits. 

You're being obtuse.

You can still tell us how you feel about a movie.

"Rogue One was awesome.  It continues the story beautifully and it ties everything together.  The effects were awesome and Forrest Whitaker hammed it up beautifully.  I'd see it again.  9/10"  

This is perfectly acceptable.

Spoiler

"Rogue one made me cry.  Every character dies.  And then when Vader comes in and draws his sabre and kicks the shit out of everyone....epic."

Not allowed for the first week.  

Pretty simple.

• Like 2

I will say, if somebody says SPOILERS for x Movie and tags the spoiler, then it's nobody but your own fault for getting spoiled and you shouldn't get mad at them.

It feels like those dresscode policies I'd have at Summer Church Camps when I was a kid/teenager where they said, "You HAVE To wear jeans and shirts that cover the shoulders, that way the boys won't even be tempted to be lustful!"

But even then, it's the new rule and I'll follow it and won't complain about it past this, even if it does feel a little silly and redundant.

• Like 3

I'm not the one messing with things that aren't broken. But whatevs.

You're also not a moderator or an admin of the site.  

And it isn't broken but it's showing signs of cracks.  So we are fixing it before it needs a full makeover.

I honestly don't see why this is a problem.  This makes things easier for everyone.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

I will say, if somebody says SPOILERS for x Movie and tags the spoiler, then it's nobody but your own fault for getting spoiled and you shouldn't get mad at them.

It feels like those dresscode policies I'd have at Summer Church Camps when I was a kid/teenager where they said, "You HAVE To wear jeans and shirts that cover the shoulders, that way the boys won't even be tempted to be lustful!"

But even then, it's the new rule and I'll follow it and won't complain about it past this, even if it does feel a little silly and redundant.

Part of the problem is when people put things in spoilers, and then other people comment on them.  They don't give it away, but you can put two and two together.  

• Like 8

So I'm okay with the policy, but how far does it extend? I understand you can't post specific details. I wouldn't do that anyway. But can I say "I thought Logan fell apart in the third act" or "The ending of X really got to me?" General, very non-specific things that pertain to larger things?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

So I'm okay with the policy, but how far does it extend? I understand you can't post specific details. I wouldn't do that anyway. But can I say "I thought Logan fell apart in the third act" or "The ending of X really got to me?" General, very non-specific things that pertain to larger things?

As long as they are not specific to the plot.  If you were to say that end of Logan made you tear up....well.....that's not a spoiler but it kind of is.  

Saying a film falls apart in the third act is not a spoiler.....that's your opinion.  That's fine.

Is it true that tapatalk doesn't block out spoilers? If so, only an idiot would use it if you care about spoilers. 

When you say a spoiler is "accidentally" revealed do you mean someone clicks on something that is spoiler tagged and is then spoilt. Once again that person is an idiot and I have zero sympathy for them. 

Is this giving up all semblance of the notion that the RTM is primarily for reviewing films?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

Part of the problem is when people put things in spoilers, and then other people comment on them.  They don't give it away, but you can put two and two together.  

I think as long as spoiler tags are enforced for responses, and you keep it in its main thread, it should be okay.  It's not a huge deal, it's just the ever-changing spoiler policies make it hard to remember what's okay to say and where you can say it.  I've been able to stay unspoiled for films I cared about staying unspoiled for me here, even when I saw them later into their runs. 

This rule isn't a huge deal btw, not worth starting a riot about or anything.  I'm just not entirely sure how it'll help anything.  The people who (in general) complain about getting spoiled are the ones that click the tags and wander into the spoiler threads anyways.  I thought we had a pretty strict spoiler policy as is.

Edited by Beauty and The Panda
  • Like 2