baumer

New spoiler policy that pertains to a movie in its first two weeks

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Is it true that tapatalk doesn't block out spoilers? If so, only an idiot would use it if you care about spoilers. 

When you say a spoiler is "accidentally" revealed do you mean someone clicks on something that is spoiler tagged and is then spoilt. Once again that person is an idiot and I have zero sympathy for them. 

Is this giving up all semblance of the notion that the RTM is primarily for reviewing films?

No, this is not about that.  And it's only for the first week @DeeCee...you can use the spoiler tags once the second Friday hits.  It's just really for the first week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

I think as long as spoiler tags are enforced for responses, and you keep it in its main thread, it should be okay.  It's not a huge deal, it's just the ever-changing spoiler policies make it hard to remember what's okay to say and where you can say it.  I've been able to stay unspoiled for films I cared about staying unspoiled for me here, even when I saw them later into their runs. 

This rule isn't a huge deal btw, not worth starting an riot about or anything.  I'm just not entirely sure how it'll help anything.  The people who (in general) complain about getting spoiled are the ones that click the tags and wander into the spoiler threads anyways.  I thought we had a pretty strict spoiler policy as is.

I agree we have a good spoiler policy.  And it's not just about people clicking on the spoiler icon.  It's also making comments about the spoilers.  You don't necessarily give it away, but sometimes you can put two and two together.

We're going to try this out.  If it doesn't work, we'll go the way it was.  But let's just see if it works first.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, baumer said:

As long as they are not specific to the plot.  If you were to say that end of Logan made you tear up....well.....that's not a spoiler but it kind of is.  

Saying a film falls apart in the third act is not a spoiler.....that's your opinion.  That's fine.

This is the only thing I was concerned about and I'm glad we can still speak like that.

• Like 2

I'm someone who very strictly avoids spoilers. I'll often even avoid trailers by not entering the theatre until just before a movie starts. 

However, I still think this is to strict and spoilers in spoiler tags should still be allowed in the main thread of a movie. The exception being when a specific spoiler thread is created for a film. 

• Like 2

Ok, you guys, the members have been heard.

We will amend it so that for the first week, only in the weekend numbers thread and the classic convo thread, spoilers are not permitted.  

I'll amend the first post.

Happy @Bishop54 :)

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

We will amend it so that for the first week, only in the weekend numbers thread and the classic convo thread, spoilers are not permitted.  

I'll follow any rule the forum has, I wasn't trying to change anyone's mind. I was just trying to understand why we're changing something that really is not broken. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Thank you for the consideration @baumer

This is a quite sensible adjustment. 

Just fixed the first post.

Thanks to those of you (most of you) who voiced your concerns like gentleman (and ladies).  To those of you who were a bit more abrasive, well...no comment.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

I'll follow any rule the forum has, I wasn't trying to change anyone's mind. I was just trying to understand why we're changing something that really is not broken. 

We amended it so it's just the weekend thread and the CCC.  You can still discuss the plot and such....USING SPOILER TAGS.....in the film's thread and everywhere else.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, baumer said:

I think is an excellent way to handle this. People who want spoilers can discuss them in the thread for that particular film. The rest of us should be able to peruse and post in the weekend thread to discuss numbers without fear of spoilers. The two significant issues have been rightly identified by posters, that

1) people often don't spoiler tag responses that clearly hint at the spoiler or allow for two-and-two to be put together, and

2) even more problematic for me, is that Tapatalk doesn't actually hide the spoilers. I often like being able to check updates in the weekend thread while on the go or waiting somewhere.

The problems have been particularly egregious this weekend with 'Life' being discussed in very revealing ways in the weekend thread.

So big thanks mods :)

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 7

Wouldn't be issues if people actually discussed the numbers in the "numbers" thread instead of everything under the sun.... 13 years of this and I have never figured that one out

Anyways, thank you Mods - the Discussions around LIFE the last couple of days are prime examples of why this is needed since I didn't have to open spoiler tags to figure out the "twist" that was being discussed by those who had seen the film.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, baumer said:

You can still tell us how you feel about a movie.

"Rogue One was awesome.  It continues the story beautifully and it ties everything together.  The effects were awesome and Forrest Whitaker hammed it up beautifully.  I'd see it again.  9/10"  

This is perfectly acceptable.

Reveal hidden contents

Not allowed for the first week.  

Pretty simple.

I distinctly recall that we were forbidden to even say whether we liked or disliked TFA when it came out. There was a ban threat for posting something so innocuous. You should be able to understand why this new policy makes some of us leery of a return to that sort of heavy-handed moderation.

6 hours ago, Talkie said:

I distinctly recall that we were forbidden to even say whether we liked or disliked TFA when it came out. There was a ban threat for posting something so innocuous. You should be able to understand why this new policy makes some of us leery of a return to that sort of heavy-handed moderation.

My sense is that this was probably a one-time only event. I don't see us returning to a policy that strict again. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Anyone questioning this, go look in the weekend thread and see the morons talking about Life.

Even with some spoiler tags, it's obvious. 

Bravo to this rule! 

Yep I just got back from seeing Life and yes I would have figured it out, but all the talk made something pretty obvious regardless

• Like 1

Regarding the older spoiler policy I'll just say that Split finally came out this weekend in my country and I watched it and I had no idea about the twist at the very end(which I loved)! I managed to stay spoiler-free for it thanks to that, so that's awesome. One of the trailers actually spoiled more about the movie to me than the forum itself.

I'm really happy that by avoiding its thread I could avoid all sorts of spoils about it, which is something that was harder to do before you guys became stricter about it.

Anyway, I think this new rule is really nice as well but does the time limit for talking about spoilers still apply? A movie couldn't be discussed outside of its thread without spoiler-tags until it came out in blu-ray/DVD, correct? Is that still a thing?

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2