Eevin

Monday #s: Beauty and the Beast - $7.06M; Power Rangers - $2.78M; Kong - $1.27M; Life - $1.03M

7 hours ago, DMan7 said:

AMAZING number for PR. 

4 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

PR's first Monday drop was better than Jack the Giant Slayer's but worse than Allegiant's. Using those two films as performance guides for the next week, it will end up with a second weekend of $14.7M (going by JtGS) or $14.2M (going by Allegiant).

These don't seem to go together.  "Worse than Allegiant" is something Lionsgate does not want to hear right now.

5 minutes ago, Momo said:

When do you think will get today's numbers? Tonight or tomorrow morning?

Traditionally, we get daily numbers starting around 2:00 p.m. ET.  Tuesday's numbers are usually a reflection of discount prices across movie theaters.

6 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

Kong has out-grossed Godzilla in 6 of the past 7 days. If anything, this shows that $160M is the absolute minimum this movie will make (Kong is now at 135, while Godzilla was at 175) Almost surely a bit higher, say $165M. 

My guess too. Were it not for the crowded marketplace with overlapping demographics, Kong would have beaten the other beasts (Wolvie & that other Royal Beast) and do closer to $180M or even $190M.

13 hours ago, Eevin said:

Disney has been fudging the ever-loving bejeezus out of Rogue One the past couple weeks. They want TDK and they want it bad.

I really don't think they care very much.

6 hours ago, zackzack said:

My guess too. Were it not for the crowded marketplace with overlapping demographics, Kong would have beaten the other beasts (Wolvie & that other Royal Beast) and do closer to $180M or even $190M.

I seriously doubt whether Kong could have beaten Logan, but I think it's fair to say that the ultra-crowded (and ultra-successful) March BO has taken a couple dozen million out of Kong's tally. Maybe even a bit more. 

• Like 1

Kong should make it to 170. That's a very strong number going by pre-release expectations and even legs. 170 will be around 2.8x.

Budget wise too it's not bad. 185-190 budget, probably 120-130 marketing.

170 dom and ~400 os should make a decent profit (even factoring in only 25% returns from China) once it's done with auxiliary.

Edited by a2knet

12 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

I seriously doubt whether Kong could have beaten Logan, but I think it's fair to say that the ultra-crowded (and ultra-successful) March BO has taken a couple dozen million out of Kong's tally. Maybe even a bit more. 

Sorry, a bit of a brain fart there. 

There is no way Kong could overwhelm B&B :blush: