BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

Now we're getting to the same-old, same-old. Honestly I actually prefer Batman Returns to Batman just for the better and more prominent use of character themes, but they're both good.

BATB & HTTYD are of course fantastic. 

Also looks like I was the only person who voted for MOTP, although I admit I'm not surprised, and although it didn't make my list, Memoirs of a Geisha is one of Williams best underappreciated dramatic works. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

BATB Score is great as is Batman and Psycho.

Incredibles is fine but not my favorite MG score. Dragons is another one along with the film that I am like "sure whatever" it just didn't click for me.

Geisha is a fantastic score - would have had 2 votes if I had managed my list.

Spoiler

Gladiator (2000)

Original Music by Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard

468 Points

2015 Placement: 43 (+13)

The highest ranked film with no Top 10 votes

Well now that Pirates 1 is here we can now have the film who essentially laid out the music template for Team Zimmer to use for it. Hans Zimmer was the primary driving force of the music for the film, but had a substantial collaboration with vocalist Lisa Gerrard that resulted in her being co-credited for the score. Much of the film's score borrows from classical works such as Holst's The Planets Symphony and Wagner's Ring cycle. Famed opera singer Luciano Pavarotti had been approached to lend his talents to the film's music but declined, something he would say that he very much regretted.

• Like 10

Spoiler

The Social Network (2010)

Original Music by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

470 Points

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 29 (NO CHANGE)

Staying steady at #29 is a 2010 film that inspired a lot of BOM outrage at the Oscars, by not winning. It did win for Original Score though, handing it off to the duo, taking Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails to cinematic stardom. Reznor initially declined Fincher's offer to work on the film. The score relies more on background and turbulent sounds than any cue or motif, which fits with the film that is constantly brewing and churning with regards to its characters.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Reveal hidden contents

One of the best films I've ever seen. A favorite as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes!

• Like 2

Spoiler

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Original Music by John Williams

481 Points

2 Top 5 Placements: 2

1 Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 55 (+27)

Improving its position by 100% is the sci-fi film by Spielberg that is near and dear to many hearts. John Williams decided to go for a more modernist approach compared to his prior Spielberg comparisons and included methods such as polytonality, merging it with techniques such as the Lydian mode. The score was the fourth in history to accomplish the feat of winning the Academy Award, Golden Globe, Grammy, and BAFTA. The main theme for the movie is without a doubt one of Williams' most famous.

• Like 9

Spoiler

The Lion King (1994)

Original Music by Hans Zimmer

485 Points

Top 5 Placements: 3

2015 Placement: 26 (-1)

Zimmer appears a second time in this pod, but with his only animated outing of particular note. It's a score that when you can listen, you can find several of Zimmer's trademarks, but when they were more of an accent than a foundation to his work. Zimmer was hired based on his work on prior films with an African setting. Zimmer was nominated for an Academy Award for his work on the movie, Tim Rice originally had intended to reteam with Alan Menken on the songs and music, but Menken was not available at the time.

• Like 10

Spoiler

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

Original Music by Elmer Bernstein

508 Points

Top 5 Placements: 1
Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 46 (+20)

Now this is a change I can believe in. Rising 20 places is Elmer Bernstein's iconic music for an icon of the Western genre. The main theme for the movie has been endlessly cited and referenced in countless pop culture works across the decades. Bernstein was nominated for an Academy award for his work on the movie, though he lost out to Exodus.

• Like 7