BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

10 hours ago, chasmmi said:

It seems like half of my votes weren't even good enough to make the one vote wonders list :( 

Of course I am now back at the point where I am invested in films for this list again as this is prime "Fuck you all for not putting BTTF higher" territory right here :) 

Back to the Future was number 1 on my list.

• Like 2

On 2017-04-28 at 0:04 PM, stripe said:

Easily, ESB is the best SW score. It works as a gorgeous unity. Plus, it improves the amazing themes of ANH. In 1999 it was truly atrocious and disheartening to see TPM completely snubed in Score. It's perfection. The complete score really helps to rediscover it.

ESB > ANH > TPM > ROTJ > ROTS = TFA > AOTC > R1

The first 4 scores deserve to be on any top50 scores list. I would surely have a better consideration of the last 4 if there were an official Complete Score.

There is so much enthusiasm put in ESB-soundtrack. It's almost like Williams found out that this saga (including the prequels, PLEASE) may be something after all, something that may actually be relevant 100 years from now, a time when movies (as we know them today) actually may not even exist. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ENSnF8XnY

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Amadeus said:

There is so much enthusiasm put in ESB-soundtrack. It's almost like Williams found out that this saga (including the prequels, PLEASE) may be something after all, something that may actually be relevant 100 years from now, a time when movies (as we know them today) actually may not even exist. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ENSnF8XnY

It was actually Lucas who suggested he go symphonic, big & bold like a traditional old score back in the day, just with modern elements. Heck before Williams was even suggested, Lucas considering using classical pieces as the score a-la 2001.

• Like 1

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 6:19 PM, 4815162342 said:

Hide contents

Titanic (1997)

Original Music by James Horner

573 Points

#1 Rankings: 1

Top 5 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 27 (+9)

Rebounding after a notable fall in 2015 is the James Cameron boat epic. After a decade of separation, Horner and Cameron reunited on the film. Horner and Cameron had ill feelings stemming from Aliens, but the two buried that hatchet after Cameron's initial pick for the score, Enya, declined. Horner auditioned around thirty singers before settling on Norwegian singer Sissel Kyrkjebø to handle the vocals recurring throughout the score. For certain tracks, Horner used a digital choir instead of a real one, inserting it with synthesizers after the rest of the music for the track had been composed.

Im a John Williams Looney but Titanic in my opinion is the best soundtrack ever recorded. It just does everything right and hits all the right notes and makes you feel exactly what needs to be felt. Its perfection imo.

• Like 3

I was the one who voted Rambo II. Goldsmith did some great work on that film.

I also had Trevor Jones is Angel Heart very high on my list. I don't recall seeing it yet and I'm sure it's not going to be in the top 10. So to hell with all you guys as well for not seeing it or not voting for it LOL

4 hours ago, baumer said:

I was the one who voted Rambo II. Goldsmith did some great work on that film.

I also had Trevor Jones is Angel Heart very high on my list. I don't recall seeing it yet and I'm sure it's not going to be in the top 10. So to hell with all you guys as well for not seeing it or not voting for it LOL

I had Angel Heart close to the top too. It's so good.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Back to the Future (1985)

Original Music by Alan Silvestri

621 Points

#1 Rankings: 1

Top 5 Placements: 3

2015 Placement: 15 (NO CHANGE)

Starting our Top 15 is the film that started it last time around. Spielberg was initially not sold on Silvestri doing the score for the film, even though Silvestri had worked with Zemeckis previously. The two managed to win Spielberg over and the result is one of the most famous film themes of the 1980s and a generally peppy and adventure-laced score of horns and percussion. In many ways the score is outsized for the movie, yet it still works like a charm.

• Like 14

Spoiler

Ben-Hur (1959)

Original Music by: Miklós Rózsa

622 Points

#1 Rankings: 2

Top 10 Placements: 2

2015 Placement: 67 (+53)

Taking a huge jump into the Top 15 is the literary epic that blends historical Roman period piece with Biblical fable. Rózsa was the guy who was the old hand at MGM for scoring their epics. The film features next to no motifs or cues for any characters, save for the inclusion of an organ for whenever Jesus appears in the film. Rózsa won his third Oscar for his work on this film, and his work on the film is considered by many to be the best of his storied career. 

• Like 14

Spoiler

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

Original Music by Ennio Morricone

710 Points

Top 5 Placements: 4

2015 Placement: 21 (+8)

After a bit of an absence the Ennio/Sergio connection returns. Their fifth collaboration set amidst the Old West is one of their most famous works. Morricone switches things up from his prior outings to give both a more haunting and modern feel to the music, as occasioned by the recurring harmonica motif as well as Morricone occasionally throwing in riffs with a rock guitar. Leone had Morricone compose the music prior to production, so he could play during filming to help capture the right mood on set.

• Like 12

Spoiler

The Godfather (1972)

Original Music by Nino Rota

730 Points

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 12 (NO CHANGE)

This film made an offer the list could not refuse. Coppola had composer Nino Rota really focus on nailing down an Italian and epic tragedy feel to the music, resulting in very lush and passionate music across the board, as well as occasionally ominous and foreboding cues as enemies and danger closes in around the Corelone family. Coppola had his father Carmine compose some additional music for the movie. Nino Rota's Oscar nomination was rescinded due to one of the main themes for this movie having been previously used in another film Rota had scored years earlier.

• Like 12

Spoiler

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Original Music by Howard Shore

748 Points

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 8 (-3)

In a bit of a twist, a LOTR film drops out of the Top 10. Two Towers is the only film in the trilogy to not be nominated for an Original Score Oscar. While many themes from the first film carry over into the movie, Shore adds in a number of new motifs and cues into the music for this film, most notably the Rohan Theme, which generally appears in a somber version with a mourning violin or fiddle, or a triumphant version with horns blazing. The music for the film, much like the first one, takes you on a journey through lands and character, almost a novel or story unto itself.

The question now becomes, what film has replaced this one in the Top 10?

• Like 10

BTTF is great, the reason I didn't personally have it on my list is that I figured it would already show up again. Plus I wanted to spotlight some lesser known scores, even though I knew none of them would actually show up on the list.

Shocked by the Ben Hur jump. I mean it's great, but wow, I guess being #1 on two lists helped a lot. Who'da thunk? Ha, ha!

The Godfather's score is superb. Aside from 1 & 2 Rota is also known for collaborations with Fellini. The music that was previously used was taken from the film Fortunella BTW.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Hide contents

Ben-Hur (1959)

Original Music by: Miklós Rózsa

622 Points

#1 Rankings: 2

2015 Placement: 67 (+53)

Taking a huge jump into the Top 15 is the literary epic that blends historical Roman period piece with Biblical fable. Rózsa was the guy who was the old hand at MGM for scoring their epics. The film features next to no motifs or cues for any characters, save for the inclusion of an organ for whenever Jesus appears in the film. Rózsa won his third Oscar for his work on this film, and his work on the film is considered by many to be the best of his storied career. 

Pretty sure Ben-Hur was the only pre 1970s film on my list. great score. 

• Like 2

You sort of expect the usual suspects to show up this far out on the list, so it's really surprising to me that Ben-Hur had such a big jump to an elite group. Kinda makes me want to watch the movie again, it's been a while.

Once Upon a Time in the West, though? :worthy:

If that theme doesn't give you goosebumps, you better check your pulse or I better call the Ghostbusters, 'cuz you ain't here with the living, homeboy!

• Like 3