BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

Atonement?

On a best of for film scores?

Isn't that like saying a Friday the 13th film you should be nominated for best Ensemble acting?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Atonement?

Isn't that like saying a Friday the 13th film you should be nominated for best Ensemble acting?

If I had found time to do the list it would have been somewhere in  my top 5. Has been one of my go to scores for nearly a decade now. Particularly when I am writing. 

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Atonement?

Atonement actually has a really great score.  It's creative and unique.

(I may have forgotten to include it on my list though, oops)

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Panda said:

Atonement actually has a really great score.  It's creative and unique.

(I may have forgotten to include it on my list though, oops)

It's just not something that stands out to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

It's just not something that stands out to me.

I mean, it's not overly thematic, but that doesn't detract from it.  In fact the less thematic scores seem to be overlooked quite a bit, even when they're just as good.

Anyways, Atonement did win the Oscar for score and it's received quite a bit of recognition for it.  I don't think comparing Atonement's score to Friday the 13th's ensemble is entirely fair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Panda said:

I mean, it's not overly thematic, but that doesn't detract from it.  In fact the less thematic scores seem to be overlooked quite a bit, even when they're just as good.

Anyways, Atonement did win the Oscar for score and it's received quite a bit of recognition for it.  I don't think comparing Atonement's score to Friday the 13th's ensemble is entirely fair.

You're right.  Friday's cast in some movies is much better than Atonement's score. :)

Spoiler

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Original Music by John Williams

1190 Points

#1 Rankings: 1

Top 5 Placements: 4

Top 10 Placements: 6

2015 Placement: 4 (NO CHANGE)

Staying put at #4 is an adventure film that set a template for years to come. John Williams originally wrote two possible versions of the main theme for the film, but Spielberg liked both so much he instead asked Williams to meld the two into a single composition. Said main tune is easily one of the most recognizable musical themes of modern cinema. The movie has frequent bouts of bombastic horn-driven adventure music to set the tone, while also featuring more romantic or ominous melodies as well. Williams was nominated for an Oscar, but lost to Chariots of Fire.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I figured out what it is

La La Land already showed up. And it's not Bee Movie or Fault in Our Stars.

Spoiler

Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Original Music by John Williams

1191 Points

#1 Rankings: 3

Top 5 Placements: 4

Top 10 Placements: 3

2015 Placement: 5 (+2)

Rising two spots for a narrow win over Raiders is the middle child of the Star Wars original trilogy. John Williams expands on the score from A New Hope, with new themes adding more oppressive, romantic, and playful tones to the array of notes the orchestra launches at the audience. Of course the new theme everyone knows is Darth Vader's theme aka The Imperial March, which has pervaded pop culture to the point that it is pretty much everywhere. The romance theme for Han Solo and Princess Leia ranks up there as one of the more lovely cues Williams has introduced in his career for a romantic motif. Williams was nominated for Original Score, but lost out to Fame.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

La La Land already showed up. And it's not Bee Movie or Fault in Our Stars.

Reveal hidden contents

You cannot give anymore likes today

I like how flowery and gentle Yoda's Theme is. Makes me feel good inside.

• Like 4

Spoiler

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

Original Music by Ennio Morricone

1203 Points

Top 5 Placements: 6

Top 10 Placements: 4

2015 Placement: 3 (+1)

Creeping ahead into the Top 2 is the Leone western all-timer. Morricone styled the main theme for the movie after the howling of a coyote, and did three different variations for each of the three main characters, using different instruments to symbolize each of the three. The score also incorporates a mournful melody to help reflect the grim Civil War setting of the film. This score is considered by many to be Morricone's best, and it's safe to say that just as in 2015, the forum agrees with that assessment.

• Like 10