BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Warmed over Jacques Demy.  Blah. 

The only music in the movie I loved was the John Legend number.

There are so many better musicals and musical scores.  Last year alone Moana's was better.

....Were you the one who submitted CW? :redcapes: 

• Like 1

La La Land :cloud9: Should have put it higher in my list for maximum meltdowns.

About LLL being too recent or underserving of being in the top 100, let I remind you that Mad Max Fury Road made into the list, and that nothing will be able to top that feat.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

LA LA LAND better nose-dive the next time. :angry: 

I will probably ranked it higher next time, at least it is from a movie people actually watch. :ph34r:

6 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

The music in La la land is masterful.

You may not like the movie but I can't see how you wouldnt acknowledge how great the music was.

I liked the music, but I personally don't consider it a good "original" score due to so much relying on music cues written for the songs. But I didn't impose that viewpoint on the countdown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

La La Land :cloud9: Should have put it higher in my list for maximum meltdowns.

About LLL being too recent or underserving of being in the top 100, let I remind you that Mad Max Fury Road made into the list, and that nothing will be able to top that feat.

1 hour ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

Yeah, I don't see the problem with LLL when we have Mad Max, Nolan  Rises ranking pretty high up there

frnXxyM.gif

• Like 8

Spoiler

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

Original Music by James Horner

384 Points 

Top 5 Placements: 1 
Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 66 (+26)

We return to the Great Trek with the second feature film in the franchise, which essentially took a different approach in every possible avenue compared to The Motion Picture. One of the reasons Jerry Goldsmith was not brought back for this sequel was because of the budget being slashed, but it all turned out for the best, as this was the film that put James Horner on the map. Pretty much every cue Horner has self-referenced over the years can be traced back to this film. The music for the film was deliberately crafted to evoke a nautical adventure on the high seas, and consequently the film feels far more like an older cousin of Master & Commander than a sibling of The Motion Picture.

• Like 10

Spoiler

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

Original Music by Klaus Badelt (Officially) (Unofficially: Klaus Badelt, Hans Zimmer, and about a dozen others)

389 Points

Top 10 Placements: 2

2015 Placement: 36 (-3)

You knew it was still gonna be shuffling around, even after At World's End took a tumble and Dead Man's Chest dropped off entirely. Alan Silvestri had originally been approached to compose, but after he left the project Verbinski turned to Hans Zimmer, who referred him to Badelt as Zimmer was working on The Last Samurai. Baldelt composed much of the music with assistance from Zimmer, and then several other composers were brought in to orchestrate music and prepare minor cues. So you had a full kitchen of cooks working on this one. Also, apparently the track titles for the music were written before anything was composed, which led to some of the music assigned to some of the track titles not actually matching up with what the track titles described.

• Like 8

Spoiler

Tron Legacy (2010)

Original Music by Daft Punk

391 Points 

Top 10 Placements: 2

2015 Placement: 23 (-15)

Next up we have a film that has an overall reception of lukewarm around these parts, but also has music that gets a lot of love. The French electronic group Daft Punk was chosen, to go in an entirely different direction from the usual orchestral score, and the approach is completely appropriate and beneficial given the setting and premise of the movie. The music is centered around a recurring main theme that while simple, packs a lot of punch to it, especially as it gets variations of tone and style across the film. The group has stated that the original Tron movie had been an inspiration to them earlier in their lives/career.

• Like 10

Spoiler

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

Original Music by Nick Cave & Warren Ellis

393 Points 

Top 10 Placements: 3

2015 Placement: 32 (-5)

Next up comes the music for the revisionist Western of the 2000s. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, Australian musicians who teamed up for The Proposition, collaborated for this offbeat, moody, meditative Western and the music really fits into that style the whole way through. Every note feels weighted with a burden of melancholy, or inevitable fatalism, a complete contrast to even your modern western film score which still hits on action beats and kinetic energy.

• Like 9

Spoiler

Chinatown (1974)

Original Music by Jerry Goldsmith

394 Points 

Top 5 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 48 (+12)

Jumping up a dozen spaces is the music to the film noir classic by Roman Polanski. Jerry Goldsmith allegedly wrote and composed the score to the film in only ten days, due to the original score by Philip Lambro being rejected at the last minute. The film features recurring trumpet solos and the musician playing the trumpet has said that Goldsmith told him "to play it sexy — but like it’s not good sex!" The music would be nominated at the Oscars.

• Like 9