BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

I was getting my daily fix of The Shadow some time ago, and Youtube suggested me Goldsmith's work for Masada, a mini-series which I had never heard of until then. I thought why not.

Glad that I did that cause I was pretty amazed by what I heard. 

I'm not at all familiar with his music, but those two scores certainly erased the meh impression I had of him based on his Star Trek theme.

Edited by Goffe

8 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I was getting my daily fix of The Shadow some time ago, and Youtube suggested me Goldsmith's work for Masada, a mini-series in which I had never heard of until then. I thought why not.

Glad that I did that, because I was pretty amazed by what I heard. 

I'm not at all familiar with his music, but those two scores certainly erased the meh impression I had of him based on his Star Trek theme.

Masada is a great mini-series from the era of great TV mini series.  Peter O'Toole is as usual magnificent. 

Taking a look at Amazon and I see from the back of the cover that Goldsmith won Best Score

2Q==

Edited by TalismanRing

Masada is great and it's got great music. Goldsmith actually didn't complete the score due to production delays, and Morton Stevens of Hawaii Five-O fame completed the score based off themes that Goldsmith had written. 

Certainly one of the best mini-series scores ever. It's fantastic music.

Edited by Fancyarcher

On 4/11/2017 at 11:53 AM, 4815162342 said:

The countdown will resume tomorrow night, due to Passover.

So, fell asleep on my couch after the baseball game yesterday. And F8 tonight...

Universe conspiring against the countdown.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Goffe said:

I was getting my daily fix of The Shadow some time ago, and Youtube suggested me Goldsmith's work for Masada, a mini-series which I had never heard of until then. I thought why not.

Glad that I did that cause I was pretty amazed by what I heard. 

Imagine thinking Goldsmith's Star Trek theme is anything less than spectacular - what a world.

• Like 5

Image result for and we're back gif

Spoiler

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

Original Music by John Powell

400 Points

Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 16 (-19)

We start this animation-dominated pod with a film that did insanely well in 2015 but has slipped a bit back to Earth. This film marked the sixth time John Powell had worked with Dreamworks Animation and by this go-around he had grown exceedingly efficient at it. Powell worked in a good deal of Scottish and Irish instruments and musical styles into the score, which was a bit anachronistic since the characters are Vikings. His work earned him his first Oscar nomination.

• Like 9

Spoiler

The Incredibles (2004)

Original Music by Michael Giacchino

404 Points

2015 Placement: 33 (-1)

We continue animation with the first step of Michael Giacchino's journey into the world of Pixar. Brad Bird originally approached famed composer John Barry to do the score, but Barry declined as he felt the tone Bird wanted from the music felt too similar to work he had already done. And it's true, much of the music feels like a major homage to Barry's work on the 1960s Bond films, with a heavy emphasis on pounding brass instruments.

• Like 10

Spoiler

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Original Music by Alan Menken

418 Points

Top 5 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 40 (+7)

Now we have the Disney film animaed remake/adaptation of the 1940s B+W classic based on the fairy tale, that was later remade in live action. So yeah, this is a story that's been around the block a few times. More remembered for its songs by the public, it seems the orchestral underscoring for the musical continues to have a strong backing here on the forum. Menken drew inspiration for various styles of music across time and the globe to craft the score for the film.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

At which one? :ph34r: 

9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Reveal hidden contents

:redcapes:

Don't you hate Disney animation?

Spoiler

Batman (1989)

Original Music by Danny Elfman

430 Points

2015 Placement: 31 (-1)

We break the animation chain with one of the Faces of the Superhero Music Mount Rushmore. As inspiration for working on the movie, Tim Burton was given a copy of The Dark Knight Returns, to help get him in the right mindset. The music is bombastic and eerie, fitting with Burton's quasi-fantastical take on the character and setting mythos. Elfman's work has been reused countlessly for other iterations of the character, most notably Batman: The Animated Series.

• Like 9

Spoiler

Psycho (1960)

Original Music by Bernard Herrmann

460 Points

Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 35 (+4)

One of film's best director/composer combos returns, though this particular one almost did not happen due to the lowered music budget for the film. Hitchcock's initial request was for a jazz score, but Herrmann instead went with the iconic string ensemble. The main theme for the film is iconic, conveying hurtling danger rushing inexorably forward, and the screeching notes for the murder motif might be one of, if not the most famous music cue in film history.

• Like 13