BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

34 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think it's fairly deserving of being in top 25. It's among Williams most epic works IMO, and it features some great themes. It was in my top 40 at least. :P

Geez, I dunno. Williams' Top 25? Sure. Top 25 ever? Seems fairly over-valued to me (based largely on "Duel of the Fates")... and I like the score quite a bit, so I'm hardly a hater.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Geez, I dunno. Williams' Top 25? Sure. Top 25 ever? Seems fairly over-valued to me (based largely on "Duel of the Fates")... and I like the score quite a bit, so I'm hardly a hater.

Oh okay. There's a lot more to the score then just Duel of the Fates though, so that's why it was on my list. I just think it's an excellent score overall. I didn't put in my top 25 though, I'm actually surprised to see it so high I'll admit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tele Came Back said:

Top 25 is probably to high, but I will say that I find it to be a better score than ROTJ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I'm the only one who voted for Somewhere In Time?

You heartless bastards!

15 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I'm the only one that voted for Flash Gordon? Where are all the Queen fans?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Walt Disney said:

I'm the only one that voted for Flash Gordon? Where are all the Queen fans?

yeah I never got a chance to do this, but Flash Gordon would definitely get a vote from me.

• Like 1

On 2017-04-25 at 0:53 AM, Tele Came Back said:

Complaining bout TPM soundtrack at #23 and not ROTJ at #21 is like saying HELP! is a better Beatles album than The White Album because HELP! has more hits. 
Williams was (again) in full bloom here, more dynamic than ever, and because of the soundtracking process of the late 90's the music is much more dot-on-dotty with the frames herein than in any other Star Wars movie. Sure: Empire Strikes Back got the hits but The Phantom Menace is an album. 

• Like 3

Easily, ESB is the best SW score. It works as a gorgeous unity. Plus, it improves the amazing themes of ANH. In 1999 it was truly atrocious and disheartening to see TPM completely snubed in Score. It's perfection. The complete score really helps to rediscover it.

ESB > ANH > TPM > ROTJ > ROTS = TFA > AOTC > R1

The first 4 scores deserve to be on any top50 scores list. I would surely have a better consideration of the last 4 if there were an official Complete Score.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Rocky (1976)

Original Music by Bill Conti

564 Points

Top 5 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 20 (NO CHANGE)

Standing pat as the gatekeeper to the Top 20 is Rocky, the iconic sports movie. Bill Conti was not the first choice to score the picture (that was David Shire, Talia Shire's husband at the time). The budget for the whole of the composing, recording, etc was only $25,000. The score was not nominated at the Oscars, though its signature track Gonna Fly Now was nominated for Original Song.

• Like 8

Spoiler

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s/Philosopher's Stone (2001)

Original Music by John Williams

564 Points

Top 5 Placements: 2

2015 Placement: 24 (+5)

TIEBREAKER OVER ROCKY DUE TO MORE VOTES

John Williams returns once again with his music for the opening salvo of the YA monster. While many of the themes Williams introduced in the film aren't reused past the cessation of his own involvement in the franchise, his main theme for the movie (Hedwig's Theme) did endure. Williams' work for the film earned him an Oscar nomination, but he lost to another film based on a piece of fantasy literature.

• Like 8

Spoiler

Titanic (1997)

Original Music by James Horner

573 Points

#1 Rankings: 1

Top 5 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 27 (+9)

Rebounding after a notable fall in 2015 is the James Cameron boat epic. After a decade of separation, Horner and Cameron reunited on the film. Horner and Cameron had ill feelings stemming from Aliens, but the two buried that hatchet after Cameron's initial pick for the score, Enya, declined. Horner auditioned around thirty singers before settling on Norwegian singer Sissel Kyrkjebø to handle the vocals recurring throughout the score. For certain tracks, Horner used a digital choir instead of a real one, inserting it with synthesizers after the rest of the music for the track had been composed.

• Like 9

Spoiler

Inception (2010)

Original Music by Hans Zimmer

578 Points

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

2015 Placement: 13 (-4)

BWAAAAAAAAAAHM!!!!!!!! You all knew this was coming, it was inevitable. In many ways this score represents Peak Zimmer, all of his evolving tropes and tricks amalgamated into a gigantic exercise of mechanical electronic bombast. Zimmer used Johnny Marr from the 80s band The Smiths to play many of the guitar notes for the score. Zimmer convinced Nolan to keep Edith Piaf's song "Non je ne regrette rien" in the film and incorporated it into his score. Zimmer received an Oscar nomination for his work.

• Like 8