BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

Outside of (maybe?) the Avengers theme, I can't think of any MCU-related music at all. It's background noise.*

* WINTER SOLDIER is useful for generic temp action stuff, though -- I used it all the time cuz it was easy to chop up into 20-30 sec chunks. 

* and Giacchino's STRANGE, although that's just because I used it for my year-end montage. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Telerian said:

Outside of (maybe?) the Avengers theme, I can't think of any MCU-related music at all. It's background noise.*

* WINTER SOLDIER is useful for generic temp action stuff, though -- I used it all the time cuz it was easy to chop up into 20-30 sec chunks. 

* and Giacchino's STRANGE, although that's just because I used it for my year-end montage. 

The best superhero music comes from outside the MCU anyway.

This is amazing:

:wub:

• Like 2

Just now, Telerian said:

Well, some of it is. Some of the music's pretty decent, though. Marvel has had some great composers work on their films, which helps. It definitely pales in comparison to the music of popular long-running franchises like Star Wars, or even Bond. 

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

The best superhero music comes from outside the MCU anyway.

This is amazing:

:wub:

Sounds good. 

Spoiler

I should watch that franchise sometime :jeb!:

13 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

But that was my point? I said the best superhero music comes from outside the MCU... Maybe you misread my post?

Oh! Personally, it wouldn't my top ten favorite superhero themes, but it's decent music. 

Also while I enjoy some of Marvel's music most of it doesn't go beyond "good" for me, and a lot of the best Marvel related music comes from outside the MCU. I mean Howard The Fricking Duck has a better background score then most of the MCU does. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

Image result for shall we begin gif

Spoiler

The Thin Red Line (1998)

Original Music by Hans Zimmer

195 Points

2015 Placement: NEW

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

We begin our countdown with a staple of forum composers in Hans Zimmer. Prior to filming even starting he composed a significant amount of music for Terrence Malick to review. Malick would play Zimmer's compositions during filming to try and get himself, and the rest of the cast and crew in the right frame of mind for whatever they were filming that day. The music features plenty of what we now know are Zimmer staples, with booming synth orchestra bellowing out at the audience.

The score resulted in Zimmer's fifth Oscar nomination, and the music, especially the main cues from Journey to the Line, has become a go-to tactic for movie trailers and commercials.

@MrPink

• Like 13

Spoiler

Goldfinger (1964)

Original Music by John Barry

196 Points

Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 42 (-57)

Next up is a returnee from the 2015 countdown, though it had quite the steep fall, only barely staying within the Top 100. John Barry described his work on the film as one of his favorite experiences as a composer, as it was the first time he was given complete control of the direction for the film's music. The music is bold and boisterous with a heavy dose of brass and percussion beats to match the larger-than-life gregarious persona of its title character.

• Like 13

Spoiler

On the Waterfront (1954)

Original Music by Leonard Bernstein

197 Points

2015 Placement: 81 (-17)

Coming in at #98 is the first and only appearance by renowed composer Leonard Bernstein, marking his only time scoring a film that was not a stage adaptation with songs. Bernstein's music deftly shifts the tone from somber and morose to romantic, or triumphant, breaking out from many of the older Hollywood conventions that had dramatic underscoring of a film essentially be background mood music that rarely took on its own position as an extra character in the piece.

• Like 10

Goldfinger is good, but there are other Bond scores that I prefer over it myself, in particular, OHMSS & TLD.

I also really wouldn't call L. Bernstein's work on On The Waterfront unconventional for the time, plenty of old time Hollywood scores relied on the leitmotif "varied" approach and didn't just make all the background music mood specifically. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

Original Music by Michael Kamen

200 Points

2015 Placement: NEW

Not the Robin Hood film you were expecting? This film marks Michael Kamen's first time on the Top 100 Scores, though he won't be returning later on. The main theme for the movie is probably one of the more famous film cues to come out of the 90s, having poked its way into various trailers or TV commercials of that era. Kamen's music evokes chest-pounding adventure and action in this amped-up take on the legend.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Reveal hidden contents

:apocalypse: 

• Like 4

I'm gonna let this one sit over here for Panda and Tele...

Spoiler

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Original Music by Hans Zimmer

203 (4 votes)

2015 Placement: 74 (-22)

The Hans Zimmer/Nolan teamup solidified for good with this picture, as James Newton Howard, who had co-composed Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, stepped aside from his duties for this film even though he was asked back. While many of the motifs Zimmer and JNH developed over the first two films returned, Zimmer also devotes much of the music in the trilogy finale to the pulsating theme for Bane that drew inspiration from a Moroccan chant.

• Like 9